Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Drivers License expired

• 20-05-2008 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

I have noticed that my license expires today, I thought it was next month for some reason but obviously read it wrong....I am re-applying asap, but am I better off going to the motor tax office or just posting it as it probably ends up in the same place and takes 3/4 weeks anyway...

Plus as I have to send off my old license and it has expired, is their a certain 'Grace' period while i wait or am I breaking the law and will be getting the bus?

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Easy Rider wrote: »
    I have noticed that my license expires today, I thought it was next month for some reason but obviously read it wrong....I am re-applying asap, but am I better off going to the motor tax office or just posting it as it probably ends up in the same place and takes 3/4 weeks anyway...

Plus as I have to send off my old license and it has expired, is their a certain 'Grace' period while i wait or am I breaking the law and will be getting the bus?

Isint there something like a 10 year expiry grace on them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

If you have the time go to the office and hand over the documents etc. yourself just for peace of mind.

There's no grace period for having sent off a licence application and waiting for the new one to come back, as it's looked on as your responsibility to make sure your licence etc. are in order at all times. You might get away with a sob story if you are pulled over but I wouldn't want to risk it these days and you could be invalidating your insurance etc. too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Most Insurance policies are technically invalid without a current driving license. I think the cops would let you away with it if it was less than a month out of date but you wouldn't want to have a crash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

If you have the time go to the office and hand over the documents etc. yourself just for peace of mind.

There's no grace period for having sent off a licence application and waiting for the new one to come back, as it's looked on as your responsibility to make sure your licence etc. are in order at all times. You might get away with a sob story if you are pulled over but I wouldn't want to risk it these days and you could be invalidating your insurance etc. too.

I think Antodeco meant before you have to sit your test again.

Antodeco: i think its 1 year

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You have up to 10 years to apply for a new one before having to take the driving test/tests again.

Photocopy the licence before sending it off.
    Most Insurance policies are technically invalid without a current driving license
    Most insurance companies ask if you have or have ever held a driving licence in the relevant category.

Driving on an expired licence is a minor offence. Driving without ever having held a licence is a much more serious offence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭lynchie

Most Insurance policies are technically invalid without a current driving license. I think the cops would let you away with it if it was less than a month out of date but you wouldn't want to have a crash.

Not true unless your policy states it. Most have a clause that states you hold a current license, held one in the past and are not currently disqualified from holding one.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭marley1

Just after noticing that my driver license has expired almost a month ago. I'll get my photos taken in the morning and have the Gardai sign them.
    But my question is Have I to do the test again.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

marley1 wrote: »
    Just after noticing that my driver license has expired almost a month ago. I'll get my photos taken in the morning and have the Gardai sign them.
    But my question is Have I to do the test again.

No you don't.

As said in this thread, you have 10 years to replace your license after it expires without sitting a test.

Also, this thread dates back to 2008. Please read the forum charter before posting again, as it's dragging up old threads is against the charter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement