Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Weather in the Media: TV, TABLOIDS etc.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Jpmarn wrote: »
    It is surprising that the Irish Independent should run a front page headline on the polar vortex. It is more common for the red tops like the Mirror or the Star.
    patmac wrote: »
    This article has been sponsored by the Fuel Suppliers of Ireland.

And who are among the fuel suppliers of Ireland?
    Denis O'Brien owns Topaz Oil which supplies home heating oil and, oh wait, he also owns The Irish Independent as part of Irish Independent Media Group...
    I only remembered that today. Suddenly a lot of things made sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

...who obviously are equally as worried about the current plunge in oil prices and whether or not they will get away with passing it onto the consumer. :)

Actually fuel suppliers love lower oil prices - pump prices are then lower and people drive more.

Of the current €1.38 average, only 32c +vat is the actual oil price itself. If oil was free, you'd still be paying €1 at the pump. (refining about 8c-12c, distribution & retail about 11c, duties 59.6c & vat 26c).

As for this indo - weather is their daily hysterical headline, but people seem to be joking about it now rather than reading anything into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Irish newspapers are a total joke at this stage. I was horrified to see the FRONT PAGE of the Indo was about might be weather 'predictions'. Surely, this is anything but news and is scaremongering.

The reality is that true extreme weather events such as the 24 December 1997, 26 December 1998 and 12 February 2014 hurricanes and the 27 November 2010-26 December 2010 prolonged snow were not predicted at all. After the 1997 and 1998 events, we were told that hurricanes would become a feature of Irish winters. A lesser such event happened around Christmas 1999 but nothing as bad occurred again until late 2013 and nothing as bad as 1997 or 1998 happened until 2014.

With the current predictions for snow, we are entering into the same old tired scaremongering. 2010 was a once off in a generation event I never saw before. I remember at the time that when it receded late St Stephen's day at the time that it was a 'brief respite' and it would be 'back with a vengeance in January'. It didn't come. Then, it was to be February. Early 2011 in fact turned out very mild. Then, snow was due St Patrick's day. Instead, that day was like summer. Then, snow came around Halloween in the US and we were told winder 2011/12 was going to be 'worse than 2010'! It was a very mild winter. Now, 2012 was mild and moderate. 2013/14 was bad for different reasons (hurricanes). So, now we are due some snow again by the media it seems.

Snow and ice is scary for people who are isolated and have to travel to work. Scaremongering about events that are anything but certain (and probably won't even happen) is stupid and putting it on the front page of a paper is ludicrous. But with the economic bad news waning somewhat and Irish Water loosing its appeal, the papers latch onto the weather again to sell their stupid rags.

What can be predicted: 10 days is the furthest into the future that can be predicted. Even this is a rough idea and may not pan out entirely as predicted. Anyone can predict that the period between now and mid March will bring dry, wet, cold and mild weather. Snow may or may not occur. Same with all types of weather. But cold and mild and wet and dry are certain to feature!

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

You might need to relook the current weather charts & models........

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

The reality is that true extreme weather events such as the 24 December 1997, 26 December 1998 and 12 February 2014 hurricanes

It's amazing how little people know about hurricanes. Hurricanes are tropical storms. They can only develop within the tropics, which is about 3500km south of Dublin and they usually lose their hurricane status when they move into the subtropics, which is about 2000km south of Dublin. Hurricanes are more powerful with higher gusts and sustained winds.

European windstorm

windstorm_ruth_satellite_image.jpg

Hurricane

geographical-coverage-hiayan-vs-katrinajpg-a4d26d34ed72c41b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,443 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Gave my thoughts on the new weather presenter for UTV Ireland which starts in January. Fair play to her and I have nothing against her whatsoever but...

https://twitter.com/utvireland/status/546640838286389249
    I would rather someone presenting the weather who actually works for a met agency or is at the very least a graduate in meteorology at some level to be perfectly honest.

That is one of RTE's strengths.
    Originally Posted by Molester Stallone II View Post

Why? it doesn't take a degree to point at the map and read the autocue
    The BBC and RTE respectively use professional meteorologists in the main from the UK Met Office and Met Eireann. That is why their broadcasts tend to be more interesting and informative than, say, TV3.

Because they know about the complex science that they are presenting and they can parse this information very well for the viewer in a way that is easy to understand but also engages with them and keeps them interested.

But no substance trumps substance these days I guess. It's all dumbing down at the end of the day and it is contemptuous for the audience which (again TV3) assumes that the public are a bit too dim to be able to interpret basic, standard weather charts which I also suspect will be absent.

Don't expect anything TV3 does not offer basically which is not much. It's disappointing in my opinion but not surprising.

I wonder will Met Éireann be providing the data for these forecasts. I don't think they provide it for TV3 though I could be wrong. I know the UK Met Office provides data for UTV in the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

feck that, damn it Daily Express i want to know why baby George did not attend the christmas mass. :P

once again i see the tabloids going for such crazed sensationalist headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Checking the Met Eireann site clears up the eejits argument.
    Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday: Gradually becoming milder as the high shifts to the east allowing a southerly airflow to develop. Still dry next Tuesday then some rain possible for next Wednesday and New Year's Day in southerly winds and temperatures back to over 10 degrees.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Christmas special with John Creedon, Nuala Carey and George Lee looking back at the Weather in 2014

RTÉ One, Monday 29th December, 6.30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Lumi wrote: »
    Christmas special with John Creedon, Nuala Carey and George Lee looking back at the Weather in 2014

RTÉ One, Monday 29th December, 6.30pm

Was just about to post this.I seem to always find myself watching repeats of weather shows on More4 etc. but there's very little on Irish weather considering how we are usually at the mercy of the Atlantic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

More4 is now the weather channel!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Nice flood protection scheme in Fermoy... But isnt the water treatment plant in Fermoy BUILT on a flood plain??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Very interesting show I must say

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

leahyl wrote: »
    Very interesting show I must say

I watched it too, thought it was interesting enough but found it quite lacking as an overview of the actual weather for the year as a whole. Some of the stats given by John Creeden seemed a little bit baffling to say the least.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭elecktras weather bomb

"good lord" the husband just bolted in the front door told me its end of days next week to start preparing for big freeze. jeez did I need to ask any questions I asked what rag paper had he been reading? poor old James at it again Ireland to be hit harder than uk this time round. I firmly believe he uses other peoples good research and transfers them into his own words. he never seems to have any foundation on what his ideology is. does he approach papers ? he has made a few with the latest saga tonight lol

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

Irish weather: Arctic conditions to bring sub-zero temperatures and heavy snowfall

Exacta Weather James Madden said the prolonged bitter weather is likely to stretch into February

I see the mirror is trying its hand at selling a few more papers, you would think after maddens big snowmagedden prediction for late November/early December didn't pan out that he would tone down his warnings a little ...this lad should really be shot with a ball of his own sh**

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

This time of year they tend to run with either Snowmagedden or Break Through in the Madeleine McCann case as shallow attempts to sell newspapers on slow news days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭droidman123

It doesnt matter if he is right or wrong,people in here are giving him and the daily rags free advertisement every time they highlight them on here.so from a business point of view you have to admire them, and as long as people keep posting links to their headlines,they will continue to publish their tripe.

from a business point of view you have to admire them.

Sorry, but no you don't. Admiring people who exploit the ignorance of others - and blatantly profit from it, rather than helping to enhance their knowledge and understanding on whatever topic is on hand, is just plain immoral. Nothing to be admired at all.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ireland's barmy weather of 2014 reviewed says the Rag-do. Barmy being their word, on an overall very very average year, save for a couple of extreme events.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/wet-warm-sunny-and-windy-a-look-back-on-2014-30883049.html

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Sorry, but no you don't. Admiring people who exploit the ignorance of others - and blatantly profit from it, rather than helping to enhance their knowledge and understanding on whatever topic is on hand, is just plain immoral. Nothing to be admired at all.

its remiss of you to call the readers ignorant.they are a business, and its happy days for them when people keep posting ridiculous stories that they print here. that's exactly what they love and people keep doing it for them. people will believe what they want to believe, it doesn't change the fact that people keep giving madden and the rags free advertising on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I disagree. From a business point of view, you can exploit whatever the hell you want as long as you make a healthy profit. Personally I would love to shoot the lot of them for severe ignorance, but I cant do that can I?

its remiss of you to call the readers ignorant.they are a business, and its happy days for them when people keep posting ridiculous stories that they print here. that's exactly what they love and people keep doing it for them. people will believe what they want to believe, it doesn't change the fact that people keep giving madden and the rags free advertising on here.

It is not remiss at all. The definition of ignorance according to the OED is "lack of knowledge or information', and it is in this sense that I use the term. Most people, and I include myself in this group, are ignorant to the basics of Meteorology, as they are in most other everyday topics & genres, such as politics, economics, and so forth. Trash tabliodism plays on this and exploits it without relent. Why? to keep readers hooked, panicked, wanting more - and all without the reader gaining one shred of knowledge about the subject being discussed. End result? profit without accountability or justification. I couldn't give a toss if this is seen as a 'good business' strategy' that is to be admired, because ethically, it stinks. Those who profit from exploiting their fellow human beings in such an obscene manner, and do so without conscience, deserve no respect or admiration.

New Moon

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I disagree. From a business point of view, you can exploit whatever the hell you want as long as you make a healthy profit.

Really? is this some enshrined mantra that I, in my ignorance, have never heard of before?

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭numilus cimbus

Really? is this some enshrined mantra that I, in my ignorance, have never heard of before?
    Nah just the first time you've heard it perhaps, a down side to being on the internet, you get exposure to views other than your own group
    I'd get used to it :D

It is not remiss at all. The definition of ignorance according to the OED is "lack of knowledge or information', and it is in this sense that I use the term. Most people, and I include myself in this group, are ignorant to the basics of Meteorology, as they are in most other everyday topics & genres, such as politics, economics, and so forth. Trash tabliodism plays on this and exploits it without relent. Why? to keep readers hooked, panicked, wanting more - and all without the reader gaining one shred of knowledge about the subject being discussed. End result? profit without accountability or justification. I couldn't give a toss if this is seen as a 'good business' strategy' that is to be admired, because ethically, it stinks. Those who profit from exploiting their fellow human beings in such an obscene manner, and do so without conscience, deserve no respect or admiration.

can you not see that we are of the exact same opinion? the problem I have is people slag off madden and others, and then proceed to post links to their predictions? it just doesn't make sense. on one hand they are ridiculing the news story,then they give it free airtime on here:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Villain wrote: »

Probably worth reading this work of fiction again just to remind us realistic observers of the weather the type of ramping rubbish that is out there....

Advertisement