Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Man gives little scrote a smack of a hurl and gets 4 year sentence?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

How could one set up a petition....

I think it's gone way too far.....

O honestly don't know what id do if my property or family was under attack....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Very harsh sentence.
    There should be no jail time for retaliation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Feel sorry for the guy to be honest, he looks like a decent fella in the photo.

The judge's comments are absolute horse ****e. Imagine trying to visit your mother with 20 little ****es outside damaging your car, you head out with a hurl to intimidate them off and one of them swings for you with a plank, of course you'd lose the ****ing run of yourself. I'm not condoning smacking him in the head but you'd be hard pushed not to get driven into fight or flight mode when your property is being damaged, your elderly mother is in the house so you need to set a precedent, you're outnumbered and being swung at with a weapon.

5 years is a long time for someone in their mid 30s, an awful waste.

edit: just saw a post above saying he had been convicted of a stabbing in 2004...looks can be deceiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I probably shouldn't judge by looks, but his picture struck me as the sort who might have had other run ins with the law. He would have been 20 back in 2004 when this happened. Nothing else on Google that I can see.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2004/0505/49784-murrayhinnm/

I would say this was some of the.mitigatong circumstances and why he got such a harsh sentence.

There should be a lesson her for authorities but their won't be, I know on most cases like this they probably couldn't do much.

Ireland seems like the place where you have to get justice in your own hands or you won't get **** all.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It wasn't self defence. He went after him and smacked him in the head with a hurl. Totally disproportionate reaction and a light sentence.

And what happens if he comes back again, again and again.....

The fcuking scum bag tried to attack him...

You do realise that kids of 10 years of age are carrying knives and dealing drugs....

This 16 year old wasn't going over to give him a hug, he tried to hit him with a plank.... He damaged his property...

If Mr Curtis hadn't done what he done there is near no doubt this would most likely carry on and happen again.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

I wonder what stops all this. A purge-type scenario. Normal people offing assholes - keep at it until it stops. Utopic environment eventually. That should do it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,474 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I don't see any comment on the performance of the jury, in finding him guilty. It is obvious that 12 people picked from this thread would find him not guilty, despite the evidence.

Feel sorry for the guy to be honest, he looks like a decent fella in the photo.

The judge's comments are absolute horse ****e. Imagine trying to visit your mother with 20 little ****es outside damaging your car, you head out with a hurl to intimidate them off and one of them swings for you with a plank, of course you'd lose the ****ing run of yourself. I'm not condoning smacking him in the head but you'd be hard pushed not to get driven into fight or flight mode when your property is being damaged, your elderly mother is in the house so you need to set a precedent, you're outnumbered and being swung at with a weapon.

5 years is a long time for someone in their mid 30s, an awful waste.

edit: just saw a post above saying he had been convicted of a stabbing in 2004...looks can be deceiving.

Charged, but no further report of how any court case went.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

This wouldn't happen if we had a functioning Judicial system and a proper Gardai presence/response in our country. We don't so people become frustrated and take the law into their own hands.

Still can't have 35yo's running down the road whacking 16yo's across the head with a hurl. I'm just surprised there's not more of it

jay0109 wrote: »
    This wouldn't happen if we had a functioning Judicial system and a proper Gardai presence/response in our country. We don't so people become frustrated and take the law into their own hands.

Still can't have 35yo's running down the road whacking 16yo's across the head with a hurl. I'm just surprised there's not more of it

Pretty much this.

If you are going to go the other route you do so in a way you don't get caught.

• Advertisement

Calhoun wrote: »
    I would say this was some of the.mitigatong circumstances and why he got such a harsh sentence.

There should be a lesson her for authorities but their won't be, I know on most cases like this they probably couldn't do much.

Ireland seems like the place where you have to get justice in your own hands or you won't get **** all.

The jury would not be aware of any previous convictions. They have to decide the case on the evidence, and they found him guilty. There is no report of whether that 2004 incident resulted in him being convicted.

After the case the system decided that he got too light a sentence, and it was increased on appeal. Again there is no mention in the newspaper report of any previous convictions being taken into account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Charged, but no further report of how any court case went.
    He served time for it. Got a partially suspended 6 year sentence. The scrote is also described as quiet and said he had a small, close group of friends. 20 seems more than small to me, I would describe myself as quiet yet I;ve never smashed up someone's car.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/man-fractured-teenagers-skull-in-revenge-attack-with-hurley-37533192.html

Guy Person wrote: »
    He served time for it. Got a partially suspended 6 year sentence. The scrote is also described as quiet and said he had a small, close group of friends. 20 seems more than small to me, I would describe myself as quiet yet I;ve never smashed up someone's car.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/man-fractured-teenagers-skull-in-revenge-attack-with-hurley-37533192.html

I missed that bit, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Perp is 35. Victim is 16.
    He followed the kid to hit him in head.
    We can't have vigilantes.

Perp, is it nice today in LA?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

votecounts wrote: »
    You can't go round hitting children regardless what they do. He should have known better

What a stupid thing to say. It’s not a five year old.

What if a gang of 17 year olds whip out knives and are trying to stab you?

No don’t hit those poor children. Better hope I can outrun them or I’m dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

He's a kid, dude. He was 16 years of age at the time, 21 now. His brain hasn't finished developing, and in certain respects it probably won't develop. He's suffered a brain injury because someone flew into a rage, without any defence of self-defence. If you think that's acceptable, fair enough; I think most reasonable people would be distraught to know they'd caused that kind of damage to someone. I'm sure both parties feel pretty distraught and regretful; nobody has won anything.

Plenty of 16 Yr olds have kids themselves. Imo the little **** deserved it.

The jury would not be aware of any previous convictions. They have to decide the case on the evidence, and they found him guilty. There is no report of whether that 2004 incident resulted in him being convicted.

After the case the system decided that he got too light a sentence, and it was increased on appeal. Again there is no mention in the newspaper report of any previous convictions being taken into account.

This is an appeal i believe, i thought it was in front of a judge who inceased it from 4 years with 2 suspended to 5 years with 1 suspended. Thats why i mentioned the first case as i thought that might be information the judge would be aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

"Just kids messing"
    Crocodile Dundee

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Tis a hurley, not a bloody hurl :p

Feel bad for the guy but tbf, hitting someone in the head with a hurley is a bit much, unless it's self defense or preventing some innocent from a meeting a worse fate.

Strange he didn't go for his shins, ankles or even the auld kneecaps. Traditional if anything and he'd surely have only received a suspended sentence for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭joeguevara

If the guy had said the incident occurred at the same time as being attacked with a plank he would have got away Scot free as long as no CCTV. Witness statements would be disregarded as they were instigators. Sounds like the hurler talked too much.

Saying that if at first you don't succeed don't follow someone when they are running away and split their head in to. Of course it's disgraceful that the guys car was damaged but is someone's life (I'm talking about hurler and the fact that he is in prison) worth a damaged car.

Fair play to him running out to 20 people but sometimes it's better biting your lip taking a video and calling the police. Insurance would have fixed his car but won't help being in prison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Guy Person wrote: »

'Curtis has previously served a partially suspended six year sentence for an assault causing serious harm to his former partner in a 2004 stabbing incident.'

So the guy is a scumbag himself. Not much mentioned of that by the people who feel sorry for him and applaud his actions.

joeguevara wrote: »
    If the guy had said the incident occurred at the same time as being attacked with a plank he would have got away Scot free as long as no CCTV. Witness statements would be disregarded as they were instigators. Sounds like the hurler talked too much.

Saying that if at first you don't succeed don't follow someone when they are running away and split their head in to. Of course it's disgraceful that the guys car was damaged but is someone's life (I'm talking about hurler and the fact that he is in prison) worth a damaged car.

Fair play to him running out to 20 people but sometimes it's better biting your lip taking a video and calling the police. Insurance would have fixed his car but won't help being in prison.

Depends on the circumstances around it more often than not feral youngsters can keep coming back to the same home over and over again. Most times the Guards are useless so i can see how someone could be driven to taking such action.

Sure had he actually killed him, he could have had a very similar sentence.

"In terms of sentencing for manslaughter, 47% were sentenced between two to five years, 47% between five to ten years, and 4% over 10 years."

https://www.thejournal.ie/courts-service-report-4132572-Jul2018/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭worded

Calhoun wrote: »
    Depends on the circumstances around it more often than not feral youngsters can keep coming back to the same home over and over again. Most times the Guards are useless so i can see how someone could be driven to taking such action.

Sure had he actually killed him, he could have had a very similar sentence.

"In terms of sentencing for manslaughter, 47% were sentenced between two to five years, 47% between five to ten years, and 4% over 10 years."

https://www.thejournal.ie/courts-service-report-4132572-Jul2018/

Quote the legal money spinner Drugs. What would the legal profession do if it was legalised. 23,000 Waw.

However, there has been an increase in protection orders from 3,849 up to 5,006. In terms of drug offences, there has been an increase in the number of drug cases coming before the courts, up from 20,000 to 23,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Call it how you will, and it appears this vigilante may have previous.

It still sends a message to the walking dead that some may fight back.

That's good enough for me.

Good night folks.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The criminal justice system in this country is clearly very dysfunctional. You hear of people with 100, 200+ convictions, often ones for serious assault and criminal damage, serving suspended or extremely light sentences and in and out like a revolving door.

It is clearly not working. I am a firm believer in rehabilitative justice but I can completely understand how people get frustrated when they see their property vandalised and stolen, their families and elderly relatives intimidated, their livelihoods under threat and decide to take the law into their own hands.

When my own car was broken into, hot wired, stolen from my place in 2010 and was found burnt out in Cherry Orchard I was very upset and angry and although I reported the crime and the Gardai were very helpful no-one was arrested and charged and I was told that in the extremely unlikely event that anyone was caught for the theft it would probably not result in a custodial sentence.

My late father and I used to argue over the justice system years back when he would point out that low life who had zero respect for law and order and the rights of others deserved to be marked for life as harsh measures in terms of retaliation and justice was the only language they understood and I would counter by arguing that a more constructive approach was better but I have increasingly come around to his reasoning as I believe there is just really no incentive for these scumbags - and yes, they are scumbags - to change their ways unless they are punished and that punishment meted out acts as a deterrent.

The judges who give out very lenient sentences for such crimes appear to be completely out of touch with the mood of the general public on this matter and it seems to me that it is very easy for people to take the moral high ground on criminality until they themselves or their family and loved ones are the targets of this criminal behavior.

But in their gated communities they very very rarely are.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,229 ✭✭✭✭endacl

shaneon77 wrote: »
    He lived by the sword now he cant say the word sword without dribbling.
    OK. I'm a bad person. I snorted tea when I read that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,983 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

****ing shocking some of the posts on here defending the rights of the scrote who got smashed. It’s not until their own property or person is attacked that they’ll come to realize in any way how that man must have felt. Absolute scum bags with dozens of convictions walk out of court every day, not a minute in prison for their latest crime. Yet this man is sentenced to time in prison for defending his property from at least one armed thug in a mob of 20. The jury should be ashamed of themselves.

he was sent to jail for assalting someone by beating them over the head, apparently leaving them with a brain injury.
    nobody gets sent to jail for simply defending their property, they get sent to jail for breaking the law.
    And what happens if he comes back again, again and again.....

The fcuking scum bag tried to attack him...

You do realise that kids of 10 years of age are carrying knives and dealing drugs....

This 16 year old wasn't going over to give him a hug, he tried to hit him with a plank.... He damaged his property...

If Mr Curtis hadn't done what he done there is near no doubt this would most likely carry on and happen again.....

what might have happened in the future is really only speculation and is irrelevant in terms of what actually did happen.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,983 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The criminal justice system in this country is clearly very dysfunctional. You hear of people with 100, 200+ convictions, often ones for serious assault and criminal damage, serving suspended or extremely light sentences and in and out like a revolving door.

It is clearly not working. I am a firm believer in rehabilitative justice but I can completely understand how people get frustrated when they see their property vandalised and stolen, their families and elderly relatives intimidated, their livelihoods under threat and decide to take the law into their own hands.

When my own car was broken into, hot wired, stolen from my place in 2010 and was found burnt out in Cherry Orchard I was very upset and angry and although I reported the crime and the Gardai were very helpful no-one was arrested and charged and I was told that in the extremely unlikely event that anyone was caught for the theft it would probably not result in a custodial sentence.

My late father and I used to argue over the justice system years back when he would point out that low life who had zero respect for law and order and the rights of others deserved to be marked for life as harsh measures in terms of retaliation and justice was the only language they understood and I would counter by arguing that a more constructive approach was better but I have increasingly come around to his reasoning as I believe there is just really no incentive for these scumbags - and yes, they are scumbags - to change their ways unless they are punished and that punishment meted out acts as a deterrent.

The judges who give out very lenient sentences for such crimes appear to be completely out of touch with the mood of the general public on this matter and it seems to me that it is very easy for people to take the moral high ground on criminality until they themselves or their family and loved ones are the targets of this criminal behavior.

But in their gated communities they very very rarely are.

to be fair the judges are not supposed to be in touch with the mood of the general public, they are supposed to be completely impartial.
    judgements should only ever be made on the basis of law and evidence and not on the feelings of others.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Judge said
    the proper approach would have been to speak to the boys in a peaceful manner, and if that didn’t work, to call the gardaí.

This goes to show where judges like this grew up or reflects the area where they live now. Where I grew up there always issues like this on the road or in the estate. Reading some of the responses on the thread, you would know that they've had experience with degenerates like this and that the judges approach well past its sell-by date by a few decades.

IMO, the hurl to the head is a bit much. It's the adults' fault for being reckless. Go for the ankles, wrists or elbows. You don't go for the head regardless of what age they, its just a bad move. If this teenager was old enough to be out in a group acting the degenerative bollox and was able to swing a wooden plank deliberately intending to physically harm someone: they are old enough to know the repercussions of their actions.

Where I grew up and where my family lives, in scenarios like this, you stop being a child at 16. When you start becoming disrespectful and you go on the way the teenager went on, you got a slap. And when they crawl off with their tails between their legs to their dads, they would come down and get a slap too.

The guards are useless in situations like this. The courts incentivize this behavior by not providing the correct sentences. The adult was stupid and lashed out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Sentence was deserved. No question. Guy also has previous convictions for violence

I’m wondering though when the court date of the 16 year old will take place? For you know, criminal damage to private property?

Advertisement