Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film forum off topic/random chat thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Lymphoma has a pretty good 5 year survival rate. The dude will abide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭p to the e

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Watched Hollywood in Éirinn there on TG4, repeat from 2017. Nice easy Sunday viewing about the making of Michael Collins.

Watched Hollywood in Éirinn there on TG4, repeat from 2017. Nice easy Sunday viewing about the making of Michael Collins.

I remember going through town (Dublin) as a young lad when this was being made and there were hundreds of people going up the quays dressed in black for the funeral scene. I hadn't a clue what was going so I asked my ma and she said it was for Michael Collins's funeral. I though he had died years before.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,184 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Which of the big blockbusters pushed till next year will be the first to say fcuk it let’s go VOD and charge €£$30 for a rental.

I’m going with Black Widow with Disney using it to push more subs for Disney+.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    Wonder Woman '84: as I type it's still set for a December release so AFAIK it's the last big holdout of the 2020 blockbuster write-off, right? So with the HBO streaming platform gaining a bit of traction I've wondered if they might go the online route and hedging their bets until they pull that trigger.

You nailed it with WW '84 it will drop Christmas Day on HBO Max.

• Advertisement

My Cousin Vinny has shot to the top of the charts on the US iTunes after Rudy's crazy presser last night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,822 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

My Cousin Vinny has shot to the top of the charts on the US iTunes after Rudy's crazy presser last night :)

Oh well. At least something good has come out of that train wreck. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Nice that the yoots of today will get to see a classic.

Fair play to him posting this.

He was doing a Zoom audition.

The fcuking cheek of the director.

https://twitter.com/lukasgage/status/1329891756020695041?s=20

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I assume he didn't get the job if he's posted it

• Advertisement

Well here is a reboot totally out of the blue.

Peter Dinklage To Star In Legendary’s ‘Toxic Avenger’ Reboot

I used to love going down to the video store and renting the latest Troma when they came out.
    Peter Dinklage continues to build a strong film slate in his post Game of Thrones career and looks to have found his next big project. He is set to star in Legendary’s new Toxic Avenger movie. Macon Blair is on board to direct.

A contemporary reimagining of Troma Entertainment’s successful 1984 low-budget action comedy hit, The Toxic Avenger is steeped in environmental themes and subverts the superhero genre in the vein of Deadpool. When a struggling everyman is pushed into a vat of toxic waste, he is transformed into a mutant freak who must go from shunned outcast to underdog hero as he races to save his son, his friends and his community from the forces of corruption and greed. Troma’s Lloyd Kaufman and Michael Herz will serve as producers.

https://deadline.com/2020/11/peter-dinklage-legendarys-toxic-avenger-reboot-1234635150/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,739 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

he tried to smile through it at the time, but think he over reacted by posting it https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-55056274

the director was sympathising not being malicious

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I see the Arecibo Observatory in Puerto Rico was destroyed overnight. Cables have been failing on it for a few months, and I think they had already decided to demolish it rather than try a repair. But the instrument platform did the job for them, by crashing through the dish yesterday.

https://twitter.com/NSF/status/1333772980539691008?s=20

Anyway, you'll know the iconic facility from the likes of Goldeneye and Contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I'm so much sadder about that than I know I should rationally be. I mean I knew it was more or less inevitable, it just seems such a shame that such a unique facility should be let fall into ruin like that. I remember being genuinely shocked to find out it was real and not something made up for Goldeneye, it was such a remarkable structure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I wasn't even aware it was abandoned in the first place; was it a case of technology outpacing the facility, or funding? Kinda sad to see for sure, such a truly iconic location. Had only watched Contact again the other week

Donner, Gibson & Glover are returning for Lethal Weapon 5.

Donner is writing the script at the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ah, I was wondering what that sound outside my window was - obviously a dead horse being flogged.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Donner, Gibson & Glover are returning for Lethal Weapon 5.

Donner is writing the script at the moment.

Jaysus. That seems ... .. ill advised. Glover cuts a very old looking 74 these days; presumably the script will be of the "passing the torch" variety cos he really is too old for this shít now...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Good old JLG has hit the big nine zero:

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1334527716322897922?s=20

Possibly the greatest director left standing. At his worst, his films are fascinatingly infuriating. At his best - and his ninth decade brought some of his absolute best - the films are as vital, playful and experimental as anything the medium has ever produced. Raise a glass to JLG, but make sure to smash cut to some random phrase against a brightly coloured background or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I wasn't even aware it was abandoned in the first place; was it a case of technology outpacing the facility, or funding? Kinda sad to see for sure, such a truly iconic location. Had only watched Contact again the other week

From what I've read, it was the funding, it was damaged in the storms a while ago and the funding for repair just never came. It had been assessed again recently and the decision was made that it was simply too dangerous to repair because of the nature of the structure, so it was to be decommissioned and the collapse just hastened the process.

There was more advanced tech elsewhere but apparently there was one particular kind of relatively near imaging it was uniquely equipped for in the world, so it does still represent a loss scientifically. The kind of thing where the cutting edge is pointing somewhere else, so the cost of replacing something lower on the evolutionary tree is no longer justified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

So I recently heard the song Sleeping Awake by P.O.D, which was one of the theme songs for the Matrix Reloaded, so decided to give it another watch.

Gods they really did go bloody mental on the plot of this thing. Instead of being a great story and kinda meaningful like the first one, this one clearly tries so damn hard to be deep and meaningful and it just ends up being really pretentious.

Literally the only reason to watch them is for the over the top fight scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The Russo’s plan to start filming #TheGrayMan next month with Chris Evans and Ryan Gosling. The film will be the start of a new franchise

• Registered Users Posts: 28,727 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Today I learned there's a Disney version of Pump Up The Volume. Radio Rebel was on Rte 2 and has a similar premise.
    Though didn't watch it, seems it's actually based on a book about a shy student who's secretly the voice of the most popular podcast or station in school

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The Russo’s plan to start filming #TheGrayMan next month with Chris Evans and Ryan Gosling. The film will be the start of a new franchise

TIL the Russos brothers directed the pilot of Arrested Development

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The film will be the start of a new franchise
    :pac: Not lacking in confidence, are they?

mikhail wrote: »
    :pac: Not lacking in confidence, are they?

Practically tempting the fates for this to be a spectacular flop; I think the Russos might be overestimating their abilities to sell a vehicle here. The Avengers sold themselves, and without coming across contrarian, succeeded despite the Russos, not because of them.

... The Avengers sold themselves, and without coming across contrarian, succeeded despite the Russos, not because of them.
    I'm not a fan, either. I think the action they direct is lazily choreographed and they try to hide it with frenetic editing that produces a chaotic mess.

mikhail wrote: »
    I'm not a fan, either. I think the action they direct is lazily choreographed and they try to hide it with frenetic editing that produces a chaotic mess.

100% agreed. The Russos deserve praise in how Infinity War juggled a bazillion characters and plot strands, yet held together as a coherent narrative. What they managed was nothing short of a miracle - Infinity War could have failed in a dozen different ways.

But as you say though, their action choreography was bloody awful to watch. They could learn a lot from the likes of Mission Impossible: Fallout .

I’m no fan of the MCU overall, but the Russos are poor visual directors even by the mediocre standards of the franchise as a whole.

• Advertisement

Aha, that explains a lot; this Russo flick is a Netflix production. With a budget apparently around $200 million. Never has the phrase "more money than sense" been more applicable than with Netflix's programming decisions. "The Gray Man" doesn't even sound that interesting a concept, just another potboiler espionage story.

https://deadline.com/2020/07/netflix-the-gray-man-ryan-gosling-chris-evans-joe-russo-anthony-russo-directing-1202987267/

Advertisement