Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

The pallet network charge €95.00 + vat at 23 % to deliver from coal warehouse to Waterford. They just confirmed this by email to me just now.
    JoeMcgovern is the cheapest for me at 73.80 euros

What I have coming is timber, I'll double check when it comes as to who is delivering it but I can't see how there could be a €70 difference because of different materials. Maybe my supplier has a bulk rate but it still shouldn't make that much difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Marhay70 wrote: »
    What I have coming is timber, I'll double check when it comes as to who is delivering it but I can't see how there could be a €70 difference because of different materials. Maybe my supplier has a bulk rate but it still shouldn't make that much difference.

I doubt your pallet of timber will weigh anything like the full ton? I think we can all agree a ton of coal on a pallet will weigh a ton.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

my3cents wrote: »
    I doubt your pallet of timber will weigh anything like the full ton? I think we can all agree a ton of coal on a pallet will weigh a ton.

Question for you 3cents. Which is the heavier, a ton of ovoids or a ton of feathers?

Question for you 3cents. Which is the heavier, a ton of ovoids or a ton of feathers?

The point is that a pallet load isn't just limited by weight its also limited by size and a ton of wood would very likely need more than one pallet or to put it another way wood on a euro pallet would most probably weigh much less than a ton.

There have to be size and weight limits so the hauliers can work out how much they can carry.

The specifications for euro pallets is for more than a ton (tonne) at 1,500kg with a height limit of 2.2meters but in the case of coal one ton seems to be the limit give or take an extra couple of bags that coal warehouse will often throw in as part of a deal.

In the case of feathers I'll let you research if you could even fit a ton of feathers onto a euro pallet, I doubt you could?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭jc77

Ordered a ton of MagiFlame from Kosy King last Thursday evening, Oct 3rd. This was delivered today by Prompto.

I don't live in a smokeless zone, just wanted a cleaner handling coal.

I used the mentioned code 'review10' which discounted £10 off the original price of £314/ton. Delivery was £24.95.

I chose this option rather than the less expensive CW/organise my own delivery as I was looking to do as little organising as possible myself. Buying from KK meant once I clicked 'buy', I didn't have to anything else until I got the call from the lorry driver today.

I loaded money into revolut a few days before hand to pay in sterling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭lenscap

I have used Kosyking many times and never had a problem and they are very helpful with fast delivery.

As Jc77 said it is just one click and less hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

my3cents wrote: »
    The point is that a pallet load isn't just limited by weight its also limited by size and a ton of wood would very likely need more than one pallet or to put it another way wood on a euro pallet would most probably weigh much less than a ton.

There have to be size and weight limits so the hauliers can work out how much they can carry.

The specifications for euro pallets is for more than a ton (tonne) at 1,500kg with a height limit of 2.2meters but in the case of coal one ton seems to be the limit give or take an extra couple of bags that coal warehouse will often throw in as part of a deal.

In the case of feathers I'll let you research if you could even fit a ton of feathers onto a euro pallet, I doubt you could?

Ok the pallet of timber is just short of 800kg and is 2 cubic metres, So, indeed short of a tonne but still taking up a pallet space so I still think the difference in cost is excessive, particularly as the above poster is giving a cost of £24.95 for a ton, I'm not sure if he means an imperial ton or a metric tonne.

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Ok the pallet of timber is just short of 800kg and is 2 cubic metres, So, indeed short of a tonne but still taking up a pallet space so I still think the difference in cost is excessive, particularly as the above poster is giving a cost of £24.95 for a ton, I'm not sure if he means an imperial ton or a metric tonne.

No fair enough, thats a lot heavier than I expected it to be and a lot cheaper than I'd expect. Not bought anything on a pallet in ages but in the past as soon as it went on a pallet no matter what the weight the haulage price jumped to about 50 quid. I still think 50-60 is a fair price for delivery of a pallet and the current prices are too high wonder if there is a price hike for crossing the boarder? Ton and tonne are really the same theres really nothing in it, unless anyone wants to argue about 36ibs or less than the weight of a bag of coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭padair

lenscap wrote: »
    I have used Kosyking many times and never had a problem and they are very helpful with fast delivery.

As Jc77 said it is just one click and less hassle.

Thinking about getting some coal from kosyking for a stove. Does anyone have any recommendations? Is ovods best or what offers best value

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

What size truck was used for delivery? I'm in a tricky spot and a large curtain side truck would have difficulty.

Also how does the MagiFlame burn compared to other smokeless coal you've used?

Stafford's branded MagiFlame is 2 yoyos a bag cheaper than the usual ovoids (supertherm) I usually get.

jc77 wrote: »
    Ordered a ton of MagiFlame from Kosy King last Thursday evening, Oct 3rd. This was delivered today by Prompto.

I don't live in a smokeless zone, just wanted a cleaner handling coal.

I used the mentioned code 'review10' which discounted £10 off the original price of £314/ton. Delivery was £24.95.

I chose this option rather than the less expensive CW/organise my own delivery as I was looking to do as little organising as possible myself. Buying from KK meant once I clicked 'buy', I didn't have to anything else until I got the call from the lorry driver today.

I loaded money into revolut a few days before hand to pay in sterling.

• Advertisement

Fairly standard 28ft curtain sided trucks seem to be the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

MD O Sheas Cork & Killarney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Cape Clear wrote: »

That's great value in fairness. 15 euro a bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭taytobreath

whats the best smokey coal from coal warehouse?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I will be getting some of the ovoids
    Thanks for posting

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Where can I get extra smokey coal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,914 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Cape Clear wrote:

Any near Dublin?

Cape Clear wrote:

Any near Dublin?
    No but the return fare on the aircoach is only 20 yoyos.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

No but the return fare on the aircoach is only 20 yoyos.

lol :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭jc77

funnyname wrote: »
    What size truck was used for delivery? I'm in a tricky spot and a large curtain side truck would have difficulty.

Also how does the MagiFlame burn compared to other smokeless coal you've used?

Stafford's branded MagiFlame is 2 yoyos a bag cheaper than the usual ovoids (supertherm) I usually get.

I haven't burned any of it yet, we've only lit the stove once this season & then were burning off supertherm ovoids we had from last winter.

The truck was from Promto (similar to this one: https://www.flickr.com/photos/shanecasey51/12878348905).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Eoghan55

lenscap wrote: »
    I was having my chimney cleaned and the amount of tar in the back of the stove flue surprised me. I mean a huge amount.

It was coal tar, not wood creosote. In all my years using my stove I never had this problem.

Thankfully I keep a record of all fuels I buy and burn. I don't want to bad mouth a supplier online but I won't be using them again. All I will say is that it wasn't the smokeless ovoids from Kosy King that caused the problem.

Hi.

Just wondering which ovoids did u use... Is it stove coal ovoids from kk or are u aware of better quality ovoids

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Eoghan55 wrote: »
    Hi.

Just wondering which ovoids did u use... Is it stove coal ovoids from kk or are u aware of better quality ovoids

I just bought a tonne of coalwarehouse ovoids and its brilliant quality. I put a shovel of coal in the stove last night at about 11pm and today 17 hours later there's still heat coming from it and could easily brought back to life by adding another shovel of coal or by opening the draught spinner thingy fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I bought the Black Diamond back in April.
    Only getting around to using it now in an open fire.

The heat is insane. I can only put a small amount on at a time.

It burns completely to ash, virtually no cinders.

Hi

Just wondering if you ever tried the kosy king anthracite in the end. Was thinking of buying a tonne for my stove

Sav88 wrote: »
    Hi, has anyone used any of kosy kings anthracite, or does anyone recommend a good quality anthracite. Thanks
    Hi

Just wondering if you ever tried the kosy king anthracite in the end. Was thinking of buying a tonne for my stove

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭razorronan

Ordered a tonne a stove ovoids from Easyglow just before 4pm yesterday online. Arrived this morning at 09:00am. Very efficient service. I'll be interested to see what the quality is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Long time since I bought coal for the stove.

Was looking for a retail place in Sth Co Dublin that we could pick up a bag in the car.

Eventually located a place in Cabinteely, and got a yellow bag, 40kg of Magiflame, for 23 euros.
    Is that very dear?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Hi

tis shoite, avoid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭lenscap

Hi

I ordered their Maxibrite ovoids which are 89% anthracite ( Ecobrite is 96%).
    It gives off great heat, last a long time and leaves little ash. I burn it in a backboiler stove and the inside of the stove need very little cleaning compared to other ovoids I have used.
    I am very happy with my purchase.

Advertisement