Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest with Electric Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 onthelook

sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭loki7777

This offer is over for none EI customers - only when you switch to EI.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭epopnomis

check your heat link isn't on. there's a button on it..

• Registered Users Posts: 18 onthelook

sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭epopnomis

what was it in the end..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

epopnomis wrote: »
    what was it in the end..

Would like to know also...always good to share solutions in case somebody else has the same issue down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ashish.13

Ok, contacted EI today and ordered a boiler service and a nest. The woman told me I only need one nest as I only have one zone i.e the heating heats upstairs and downstairs when switched on. I said I have a thermostat upstairs and downstairs but she was adamant I only needed one nest. This seems to contradict what I've read on here. Anyone any idea what's the correct set up.

generally they are not knowledgable, nor are the installers very knowledgable.
    I have an air to water heat pump with two zones and no hot water/immersion
    control and this made the guys who came to our home very nervous.
    I had to call, DIAKIN (manufacturer of Heating unit), nest, builder's foreman (who was luckily around). All these calls were worth it as this gave some confidence the Electric Ireland guy.
    Now we have a nest thermostat for downstairs and another heatmiser thermostat upstairs. The nest thermostat would not control hot water though, as its always on with Air to water heating.
    I'm planning to install another one upstairs soon.

So the general rule of thumb: one nest can only control one zone.
    If you have two zones you could assign nest to one of the zones and keep another thermostat for other zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ashish.13 wrote: »
    I had to call, DIAKIN (manufacturer of Heating unit), nest, builder's foreman (who was luckily around). All these calls were worth it as this gave some confidence the Electric Ireland guy.
    Now we have a nest thermostat for downstairs and another heatmiser thermostat upstairs. The nest thermostat would not control hot water though, as its always on with Air to water heating.

If you have two zones you could assign nest to one of the zones and keep another thermostat for other zone.

Should a NEST be used with heat pumps ? Can’t imagine it’s suitable. Heat pumps have a poor response time and wouldn’t benefit from a Nest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

I have a one zone heating system that has a "summer switch", which cuts heat to the radiators during the summer, so the boiler just heats the water tank. Does anyone have a similar set up and if so, is it possible to use the Nest to set the boiler to come at certain times no matter what the temperature reading, or do I have to redo my schedule and just put all the temperatures way up so it comes on regardless?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭zenbuffy

I wanted to check about a particular use case with my thermostat to see if it's configured incorrectly, if it's incompatible with what I'm trying, or if I need a plumber.

I have oil heating, and upstairs in my house, I have a hot water tank with an immersion heater in it that I can control using a switch at the tank. When my heating runs, it heats water in the tank, but I was also able to turn on the switch to heat the water in the tank independently if needed, though I don't do this often. I tried to do this yesterday evening, and the immersion heater didn't heat the water. Is this something to do with the Nest? (I just wanted to check if this has somehow been overridden by the Nest before going to the expense of calling out a plumber to look at the immersion)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,340 ✭✭✭✭banie01

zenbuffy wrote: »
    I wanted to check about a particular use case with my thermostat to see if it's configured incorrectly, if it's incompatible with what I'm trying, or if I need a plumber.

I have oil heating, and upstairs in my house, I have a hot water tank with an immersion heater in it that I can control using a switch at the tank. When my heating runs, it heats water in the tank, but I was also able to turn on the switch to heat the water in the tank independently if needed, though I don't do this often. I tried to do this yesterday evening, and the immersion heater didn't heat the water. Is this something to do with the Nest? (I just wanted to check if this has somehow been overridden by the Nest before going to the expense of calling out a plumber to look at the immersion)

Nest can work with an immersion, however it needs to be wired up via a relay or contactor to provide the on/off action and this would not be a standard install.

It may be a case that the installer disconnected the immersion to provide power for the heatsink but it would be poor practice.

If the immersion worked prior to Nest install and has not worked since, it's likely an installation error.

If the immersion has worked since the install, and has stopped now.
    It is likely an unrelated but coincidental fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Got mine installed last week by Electric Ireland.

2x Nest and 2x Google Home for 400euro installed.

Got 200euro credit for switching to Electric Ireland so all in all a good deal.

The nests are the business - I had two old-style thermostats and they just replaced this on the wall. Also got a stand from the installer if I want to move it to a room.

Google Home works great, as does the Nest app.

Now if only this cursed good weather would go away so I can turn on the heating :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭Raoul

Got mine installed last week by Electric Ireland.

2x Nest and 2x Google Home for 400euro installed.

Got 200euro credit for switching to Electric Ireland so all in all a good deal.

The nests are the business - I had two old-style thermostats and they just replaced this on the wall. Also got a stand from the installer if I want to move it to a room.

Google Home works great, as does the Nest app.

Now if only this cursed good weather would go away so I can turn on the heating :)
    Where do you see the benefit of the 200euro? Like does it come off the first few months bills or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭phill106

Looks out the window...Glares at Ayatollah...

Raoul wrote: »
    Where do you see the benefit of the 200euro? Like does it come off the first few months bills or what?

Yeah.

I thought they'd use it towards the purchase of the €400 Nest package, but they didn't.

If I sign up for electric ireland and get a nest for €130 and €200 cash back, can I then book a boiler service with another nest for €200 and have them both installed at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭torrevieja

is there away of just heating the water instead of the whole house radiators?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

torrevieja wrote: »
    Not unless you get their smart controls for your electric immersion (if you gave one). My immersion wasn't compatible but they did fit a meter to it, which shiws very low use of electricity, I leave it on most of the time

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

torrevieja wrote: »

Nest has this option yes - once your boiler/system is able to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭Raoul

Is the cashback just in the form of money off your bill?

• Advertisement

Raoul wrote: »
    Is the cashback just in the form of money off your bill?

Yes.
    You can't use the €200 credit towards buying a Nest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭wingnut

Looking to get an automated valve to heat hot water only via the nest. Has anyone had this done? If anyone knows any plumbers that serve Limerick that can do this with NEST I would be much obliged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

ashish.13 wrote: »

Did electric Ireland have any issue with this? They’re telling me they won’t install with heat pumps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Yes.
    You can't use the €200 credit towards buying a Nest.

I just switched to EI, I asked about this and they said that the €200 would be applied to my account and that would go towards the first bill, with any change left carried over towards the next one. The sales guy also highlighted that I could have the cost of the nest install added to my first bill so I'd effectively be paying for the nest with the 200

Interesting - that must be new then as they told me when I ordered a few months back that I couldn't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭KilOit

I just switched to EI, I asked about this and they said that the €200 would be applied to my account and that would go towards the first bill, with any change left carried over towards the next one. The sales guy also highlighted that I could have the cost of the nest install added to my first bill so I'd effectively be paying for the nest with the 200

Last year the nest was completely free with 175€ credit added

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭thebackbar

Hi, I'm recently after moving to electric Ireland,

Currently I have one controller which has two thermostats connected (one for upstairs and one for downstairs).

Do I need two nest devices ? Is there a way to avoid paying 400 euros ?

Need two Nests.

Not sure there's a way to avoid it - one poster mentioned using credit on your account to pay for it, hence using the 200 euro bonus credit.

400euro for two nests, including installation and two free Google Homes is great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You could try ordering one nest via phoning them and then order the second one online with different installation dates.

I tried this when I had mine installed back in March/April, however when they installed the first nest it turns out I didn't need the second one and rang them up and cancelled it and got a refund. But up to that point I paid €260 for the two, not €400.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭ablelocks

I'll be switching from bord gais in a month, so doing my research now. It looks like the offer to buy the nest for €130 is still available, but i can't see an option to get the cash back and nest in one order.

So switch to get the cashback and then buy the nest after?

Advertisement