Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GAMSAT and Grad Med with Dyslexia

• 04-10-2017 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hey everyone,

I am a physiology student who has been attempting to gain access to graduate medicine in the ROI for the last two years but have been unsuccessful with GAMSAT scores of 47 in September and 52 in March.

I am unsure weather to attempt it again. And was wondering if anyone else with similar learning challenges has any input ?

Séan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 benson_otveo

If you went up by 5 points between your first and second attempt then there's no reason you can't go up again!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭spartansean

Hey Benson , I know yeah , I im going to give it another go in march. I am just looking for any help at all cause i looking jump up alot :D .

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Maat

Hey everyone,

I am a physiology student who has been attempting to gain access to graduate medicine in the ROI for the last two years but have been unsuccessful with GAMSAT scores of 47 in September and 52 in March.

I am unsure weather to attempt it again. And was wondering if anyone else with similar learning challenges has any input ?

Séan.

I am in a similar boat, except I suspect I have dyscalculia.

I sat it last March for the first time and got 52 but that was just a strong S1 OK S2 and educated guess S3.

I am so frustrated that my study has ground to a halt and I don't know if I will even sit in March.

I want to see an educational psychologist but can't afford it. If you are in uni you may be able to get some advice from your disability support service and a referral to reduced cost psychological guidance outside the uni.

Hey Maat ,

I actually have a education psychologist report and received accommodations the second time i sat it and think this is why i jumped up so much.

I found the accommodations helped me alot and if you think your eligible would endeavour to esspically since you got 52 last time.

my university could give me no help in being re-assessed or referring me but did provide me with info on educational phycologists. My brother was assessed privately for his leaving cert this year and it and i think it cost around 500 :( so it is steep yeah.

I would sit it as many times as i could if i could afford it even without getting much study done. i think the experience of it each time is beneficial.

Im also finding studying tough as im working full time, just trying to power through :D .

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Maat

Hey Maat ,

I actually have a education psychologist report and received accommodations the second time i sat it and think this is why i jumped up so much.

I found the accommodations helped me alot and if you think your eligible would endeavour to esspically since you got 52 last time.

my university could give me no help in being re-assessed or referring me but did provide me with info on educational phycologists. My brother was assessed privately for his leaving cert this year and it and i think it cost around 500 :( so it is steep yeah.

I would sit it as many times as i could if i could afford it even without getting much study done. i think the experience of it each time is beneficial.

Im also finding studying tough as im working full time, just trying to power through :D .

Yeah it's 500 alright. Shocking price! What kind of accommodations did you manage to get?

• Advertisement

Yeah 500 is abut much same as the prep courses they just ridiculous.

I got

- alternate exam location
    - extra time for each section ( 10 mins for each hour )
    - a scribe for section too ( essentially a spellings and grammar waiver )

and as a said I found these a big help :D.

Advertisement