Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Titles of healthcare professionals

• 07-10-2018 11:08am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭

In Ireland unlike in many other countries surgeons are not referred to as Dr. they are referred to as Mr. or Miss. due to historical reasons. What is the Irish term for surgeon? Is it Dr?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

robp wrote: »
    In Ireland unlike in many other countries surgeons are not referred to as Dr. they are referred to as Mr. or Miss. due to historical reasons. What is the Irish term for surgeon? Is it Dr?

Máinlia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭deirdremf

robp wrote: »
    I'm not aware of any special term; as there is no historical tradition here, I'd suggest just Dochtúir.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

well to go with the 'Mr'/'Ms' that we go with when addressing consultants in Ireland (they get mighty upset if you call them Dr. X) perhaps:
    "An t-Uasal X" -- with X been their surname.

Of cours some consultants are also professors in teaching hospitals, so I imagine ye'd address them as 'an t-Ollamh X'

Advertisement