Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do after you accept your GEM offer?

• 03-08-2018 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

So I accepted my offer to UCC ! I heard from family that used to lived there that it's a great City and It has a beautiful campus :D
    I called them up yesterday, they said I will expect more info on what to do next by the 13th August via email.
    UCC orientation day starts on the 31st, which seems quite early??? But the sooner the better tbh lol
    Anyone with offers from UCC, UCD, RCSI, UL?
    What are your Unis relaying to you all? When is your orientation? Have you received any further emails yet?
    I'm currently abroad on holiday (nyc baby!!), so i need to make sure i have enough time to prepare by the end of the month.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭futuremedic777

For everyone else still waiting on an offer, Fingers crossed !! There is still a chance in within this month, places float till mid-september, I was in the same boat last year and HOPED, but second time coming (with a higher gamsat score)  i got in!
    Stick with the motto, never give up. An extra year was what i needed to plan ahead and get on with my life, so if you're not lucky this year, the moment will come again, re-do that God forsaken exam (gamsat) and shoot for the higher numbers. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭GrabTheCREAM

Havent got official word yet, for UCD anyway id say registration is either this coming week or after Rd1 offers then orientation week is Sept. 3rd.4th. Start of september seems to be the general start date for all the GEM programmes

Havent got official word yet, for UCD anyway id say registration is either this coming week or after Rd1 offers then orientation week is Sept. 3rd.4th. Start of september seems to be the general start date for all the GEM programmes
    Fingers crossed on your own offer! Have you tried to call any Unis yet?
    Yes I assumed for all GEM, but UCC start orientation on the 31st August then start the term on the 4th/5th September

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭GrabTheCREAM

Yes I assumed for all GEM, but UCC start orientation on the 31st August then start the term on the 4th/5th September
    I actually got my offer for UCD so I’ve emailed them about start times etc., will get official word by Monday hopefully so I’ll post here when I do for anyone that’s wondering too!

I actually got my offer for UCD so I’ve emailed them about start times etc., will get official word by Monday hopefully so I’ll post here when I do for anyone that’s wondering too!
    ohhh that's what you meant, NICE !
    And good idea, I just hope im on the right track like everyone else, I would hate to not know what's next to do at the last minute.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 caroline94

Congratulations!! I also just accepted an offer for UCC. No email for registration yet but I was sent a welcome pack in the post - a letter of congratulations, and a first year guide to success with info on orientation, registration, student life etc. Hope we hear more soon, August 31st seems so soon! Have you started looking into accommodation yet?

caroline94 wrote: »
    Congratulations!! I also just accepted an offer for UCC. No email for registration yet but I was sent a welcome pack in the post - a letter of congratulations, and a first year guide to success with info on orientation, registration, student life etc. Hope we hear more soon, August 31st seems so soon! Have you started looking into accommodation yet?

Yay a fellow UCC !!

You recieved a pack? This is why I needed this thread,since I’m currently abroad on holiday, I need to call them to send me an online version of This pack, I’ll also call for info on accommodation. i seriously don’t want to be behind when starting off.

Does the pack mention accommodation ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 caroline94

Yay hello!!

Yes, I received one the day after I accepted the offer. I'm guessing anyone who accepted any course in UCC would have received one, as it's not specific to graduate medicine. It's called A First Year Guide To Success, and it really just contains mostly general info on UCC, how to register, academic year structure and exams, Student's Union, and student life, applicable to any incoming student. It does have some information specific to GEM too, but nothing that we wouldn't know already.

There is general information on campus accommodation, and it gives some advice on where/who to contact for help on finding accommodation.

I hope you're enjoying your holiday!! I'm also going on holiday tomorrow for 9 days, so I really could have picked a better time to go! But hopefully we hear more soon, and get everything sorted in time for starting :)

caroline94 wrote: »
    Yay hello!!

Yes, I received one the day after I accepted the offer. I'm guessing anyone who accepted any course in UCC would have received one, as it's not specific to graduate medicine. It's called A First Year Guide To Success, and it really just contains mostly general info on UCC, how to register, academic year structure and exams, Student's Union, and student life, applicable to any incoming student. It does have some information specific to GEM too, but nothing that we wouldn't know already.

There is general information on campus accommodation, and it gives some advice on where/who to contact for help on finding accommodation.

I hope you're enjoying your holiday!! I'm also going on holiday tomorrow for 9 days, so I really could have picked a better time to go! But hopefully we hear more soon, and get everything sorted in time for starting :)
    oh phew! that's great, it saves me the panic, thanks for letting me know!
    And that's great! Enjoy your holiday too! We're apparently expecting one email on the 13th.
    Have you sorted out your BOI loan?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 free_falling

Hey! Just wondering did you hear back from UCD about start dates? Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭e1994

Hey! Just wondering did you hear back from UCD about start dates? Thanks :)

If you look up UCD orientation timetables it looks like it's the 5th :) I haven't received anything else from ucd though about registering, which I thought was a bit strange?!

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Celestial12

e1994 wrote: »
    If you look up UCD orientation timetables it looks like it's the 5th :) I haven't received anything else from ucd though about registering, which I thought was a bit strange?!

We register on Wednesday I think? They’re sending out the packs today. I submitted the form/documents for Garda clearance, but haven’t done anything else as of yet. Can’t wait to get registration out of the way!

We register on Wednesday I think? They’re sending out the packs today. I submitted the form/documents for Garda clearance, but haven’t done anything else as of yet. Can’t wait to get registration out of the way!

How did you submit the forms? I wasn't sure how to login to the online system?

e1994 wrote: »
    How did you submit the forms? I wasn't sure how to login to the online system?

Cao # and your DOB is the password. You can then change your password when you sign up. I have access to my UCD email, but can’t login to blackboard and I presume that’s because I haven’t registered.

http://www.ucd.ie/students/newstudents/documents/UCD%20Welcome%20Booklet%202018.pdf

Thanks so much guys! I hadn't heard anything back from them up until now, so I was just getting a little worried. Has anyone found accommodation in Dublin yet?

Thanks so much guys! I hadn't heard anything back from them up until now, so I was just getting a little worried. Has anyone found accommodation in Dublin yet?

I'm going to be staying with family so I haven't had to look! Have you tried the ucd accommodation websites?

Have you tried looking on the sharing section of daft.ie? You might find something there.

https://www.daft.ie/student-accommodation/university-college-dublin-nui/rooms-to-share/?s%5Barea_type%5D=near&s%5Bmxp%5D=800

I was worried that GEM-course required us to pay the €3000 student contribution, but we're exempt from that!! ;
    https://www.ucc.ie/en/media/support/financeoffice/fees/UndergradFees201819V5.pdf

I hope it's the same for the other Medical Schools.

Thanks! I've tried daft.ie and have been looking on the UCDSU accommodation fb page. I have a few viewings lined up, so fingers crossed something comes along soon! Has anyone registered yet? Or got their UCD email - I can't seem to access it yet! I've clicked on the mail icon on the UCD Connect homepage and tried to sign in with my CAO number and date of birth there, but it's not working. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks! I've tried daft.ie and have been looking on the UCDSU accommodation fb page. I have a few viewings lined up, so fingers crossed something comes along soon! Has anyone registered yet? Or got their UCD email - I can't seem to access it yet! I've clicked on the mail icon on the UCD Connect homepage and tried to sign in with my CAO number and date of birth there, but it's not working. Am I doing something wrong?

http://www.ucd.ie/connect/

Scroll down and click on SISWEB. You should be able to use the CAO number and DOB to sign in then. You'll then be prompted to change your password.

I've registered! We can't select our modules until next week, but that's just a formality for us anyway as all 70 credits are compulsory for first year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Kirby2k07

Do we not have 1 choice module for first year?

Kirby2k07 wrote: »
    Do we not have 1 choice module for first year?

There's the option to take a summer project (SSRA) during the summer after first year, with the credits assigned to second year. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that they're assigned based on academic performance and/or interview.

For those who don't do a summer project, there's two 5 credit modules available instead.

Has everyone got their start times for module registration? :D And does anyone know if we wanted to take a summer project after first year, would we have to show interest in this now during registration or at a later stage?

Has everyone got their start times for module registration? :D And does anyone know if we wanted to take a summer project after first year, would we have to show interest in this now during registration or at a later stage?

Yep, I got tomorrow at 11:00. The credits associated with the summer projects are assigned to second year so I don’t think we need to register for them now.

UCC orientation day is on Friday 31st, i've already arrived to settle in.

Yep, I got tomorrow at 11:00. The credits associated with the summer projects are assigned to second year so I don’t think we need to register for them now.
    How did your registration go - was it pretty straightforward? Mine is not until tomorrow morning :)

UCC orientation day is on Friday 31st, i've already arrived to settle in.
    UCD orientation doesn't start until the 5th! I hope you are getting settled in and enjoying Cork so far, it's meant to be a beautiful city to live!

How did your registration go - was it pretty straightforward? Mine is not until tomorrow morning :)
    Oh and have you uploaded a photo for your student card yet? I am alone in my house at the moment, so I don't know how accepting they would be or how comfortable I would feel about uploading a selfie haha.

Oh and have you uploaded a photo for your student card yet? I am alone in my house at the moment, so I don't know how accepting they would be or how comfortable I would feel about uploading a selfie haha.

I uploaded a selfie. :D It was accepted and I don’t really care how it looks to be honest.

Everything was pre-registered already. I noticed the modules were all on blackboard last night before I registered. You probably have access to them too even if you can’t register until tomorrow. Looks like we’ve a lot of work ahead of us!

• Advertisement

UCD orientation doesn't start until the 5th! I hope you are getting settled in and enjoying Cork so far, it's meant to be a beautiful city to live!

Yh UCC seems to be a little too ahead on admissions, most UCC courses aren't starting until next week.
    But I've had a walk around campus and the medical school, Its truly a lovely looking city and very quiet.
    Is anyone bringing their parents/family along during orientation?

Advertisement