Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "What is this Irish word/phrase in English" thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

From what I can gather, the ancient name of Mac Ruairí in Ulster became anglised in Tyrone as McRory/McCrory and in Donegal as Rodgers/Rogers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

It's neither right nor wrong.

Rory is an anglicisation of Ruairí, so the two names are effectively the same, and valid "translations" of one another. Similarly (so far as I know, anyway) Pól is a gaelicisation of Paul, so the words serve as translations of one another.

There is another phenomenon: the matching of Gaelic names with English ones, often on the basis of some similarity. That's fairly arbitrary. Taking Ruairí as the Irish for Roger is one such arbitrary match. Another arbitrary match that I think odd is setting Abigail as the translation for Gobnait. But who is the gainsay anybody saying "My name in English is Jeremiah; In Irish, I wish to be known as Diarmaid"? There is no right or wrong involved.

It might become interesting as our "new Irish" with given names from Eastern Europe or from Africa proceed through the school system, and some of them become enthused by the Irish language. What if little Jumoke decides that she wants to be known in Irish as Gráinne?

Translations that have traditionally been taken to be the same name Bridget - Bríd for examle do not need a deed poll if you wanted to change what appears on your passport, Is there any guideline for at what point you would need a deed poll if you wanted to change your name to an Irish Name.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Worztron

Translations that have traditionally been taken to be the same name Bridget - Bríd for examle do not need a deed poll if you wanted to change what appears on your passport, Is there any guideline for at what point you would need a deed poll if you wanted to change your name to an Irish Name.

Do you mean Brigid instead of Bridget?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

What does the Irish word Sloan mean?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Pól is a gaelicisation of Paul, so the words serve as translations of one another.
    Many saints' names of this type came in with the Normans, so it probably did too - the pronunciation would seem to point in that direction.
    There is another phenomenon: the matching of Gaelic names with English ones, often on the basis of some similarity. That's fairly arbitrary. Taking Ruairí as the Irish for Roger is one such arbitrary match. Another arbitrary match that I think odd is setting Abigail as the translation for Gobnait. But who is the gainsay anybody saying "My name in English is Jeremiah; In Irish, I wish to be known as Diarmaid"? There is no right or wrong involved.
    I think Diarmaid and Conchubhar were specifically anglicised as Jeremiah and Cornelius in the Cork area. I don't know if that was commonly done elsewhere in Ireland
    Worztron wrote: »
    What does the Irish word Sloan mean?
    Not an Irish word.
    You might meen slán which is used as "goodbye" although it means safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Focalbhach

deirdremf wrote: »
    I think Diarmaid and Conchubhar were specifically anglicised as Jeremiah and Cornelius in the Cork area. I don't know if that was commonly done elsewhere in Ireland

My understanding was Diarmaid/Dermot and Conchubhar/Conor...

Not an Irish word.
    You might meen slán which is used as "goodbye" although it means safe.

Thanks.

I had a list of Irish~English words. One entry was:
    A warrior - Sloan

I know warrior is Laoch/Oglach. I really don't know where I copied and pasted A warrior - Sloan from.

How would you say this in Irish?

122 / one-hundred-twenty-two

How would you say this in Irish?

122 / one-hundred-twenty-two
    Céad fiche a dó.

Focalbhach wrote: »
    My understanding was Diarmaid/Dermot and Conchubhar/Conor...
    Yes, that would be the case in most places.
    But Cork is different!

• Advertisement

Thanks.

I had a list of Irish~English words. One entry was:
    A warrior - Sloan

I know warrior is Laoch/Oglach. I really don't know where I copied and pasted A warrior - Sloan from.
    I've no idea where you could have got it from - it might be a spelling mistake?

FYI, I've never seen the combination "OA" in Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Conchúr, I would use for Conor as I am not a fan of the older (inspired) spelling in general.

I've no idea where you could have got it from - it might be a spelling mistake?

FYI, I've never seen the combination "OA" in Irish.

I must have copied and pasted it from somewhere. :o

That is interesting re "OA" - I never knew that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I heard this on the radio one day so I am not sure of the spelling or even if it just one word. It sounds like "fahulach" and was used in a context like "oh no" or "that would be terrible".
    Anybody know what the real word is and what it actually means?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Focalbhach

I heard this on the radio one day so I am not sure of the spelling or even if it just one word. It sounds like "fahulach" and was used in a context like "oh no" or "that would be terrible".

I know it doesn't quite match the sound you heard, but the nearest thing I can think of offhand is uafásach, to mean terrible/really bad.

Focalbhach wrote: »
    I know it doesn't quite match the sound you heard, but the nearest thing I can think of offhand is uafásach, to mean terrible/really bad.

Funnily enough I was also thinking of uafásach. But yes, the pronounciation does not match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

There's - fadàlach - which can mean tedious

franc 91 wrote: »
    There's - fadàlach - which can mean tedious

I thought boring/tedious was Leadránach?

Edit: I though fadàlach meant slow? As does Mall.

I dont think it is uafasach, it was a while ago that I heard it but it has stuck in my mind as more like fo-hu-lach or fa-hu-lach. It was Tom Dunne on his radio show who said it so maybe if anybody knows him they could ask him:)
    I cant remember the exact context it was used in but it was something like I mentioned, the other person said something and he agreed with him and said "oh fahulach" as in "yeah terrible" or "yeah crazy" or "yeah chaos" or something like that.

Well I looked at Pota Focal to see if there was anything sounded vaguely like what was asked for - there it's given to mean - lingering, slow, tedious and even tiresome.

• Advertisement

How would I say these as Gaeilge (btw, does "as Gaeilge" literally translate as "in Irish"?)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭whatthefeck

"fahulach" sounds very much like flathulach to me.
    Flathulach :Generous / Extravagant
    "He was very Flathulach with his money"

http://www.forvo.com/word/flaithi%C3%BAlach/

"fahulach" sounds very much like flathulach to me.
    Flathulach :Generous / Extravagant
    "He was very Flathulach with his money"

That could be it, it sounds right and as I said I am not too sure of the exact context it was used in as it was a few months ago and the comment could have meant anything the way it was said but that meaning does sound like it could have fitted in with the conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

That could be it, it sounds right and as I said I am not too sure of the exact context it was used in as it was a few months ago and the comment could have meant anything the way it was said but that meaning does sound like it could have fitted in with the conversation.
    While generally used in a positive sense, flaithiúlach can sometimes be used negatively to suggest that a person is extravagant or wasteful. I think it is more often used negatively in English, as in the example whatthefeck gives.

How would I say these as Gaeilge (btw, does "as Gaeilge" literally translate as "in Irish"?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

As Gaeilge dose mean 'in Irish' but the more formal way of saying it would be 'i nGaeilge'

My best guess for those would be

Deich mile, seacht cead, caoga haon.
    Cead 's a haon mile, naoi cead, daichead 's a haon.
    Miliún 's seacht mile, naoi cead 's sé deag.
    Biliún, trí miliún, cead 's trocha cuig mile 's ochto.

Cead 's a haon mile, naoi cead, daichead 's a haon.
    Miliún 's seacht mile, naoi cead 's sé deag.
    Biliún, trí miliún, cead 's trocha cuig mile 's ochto.

Do you mean this?

Cead's a haon mile, naoi cead, daichead's a haon.
    Miliún's seacht mile, naoi cead's sé deag.
    Biliún, trí miliún, cead's trocha cuig mile's ochto.

Cead means "permit".
    Should it be "Deich míle, seacht gcéad, caoga amháin."?

Did you mean for the space after 's?

Céad (with a fada on the 'e') can mean a hundred or a century or first (an chéad - the first) - cead (without the fada) means permission - as you said.

The Irish word for anarchism?

• Advertisement

If you look at focal.ie under the heading - philosophy/fealsunacht (with a fada on the 'u') they give - ainrialachas (fir1) - gu - airialachais

Advertisement