Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grey tracksuit bottoms

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I love them on men.

They leave nothing to the imagination.

You can see the skid marks?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Vita nova wrote: »
    No, ye should never have been dropped from standard English because nothing took its place, you as a singular and plural pronoun just doesn't cut the mustard, hence all the variants in everyday English.
    You used to be exclusively plural. Thou was singular. Use of French in the British court in the centuries after Hastings meant that you was increasingly used in the singular because it sounds like the equivalent French vous and because of formal modes of address (surviving as the royal "we").

You was accusative ("I heard you arrive.") and dative ("I heard a racket from you arriving."). Ye was nominative ("You made a racket arriving."). While English is the poorer for a lack of a distinct you plural, thank **** it dropped all that nonsense.

And for the record, I use all of it: you, ye, yiz (rarely), y'all (mostly ironically), you lot...

Oh, and last thing, English used to have a unique word for you two: ink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Fake Scores

Augeo wrote: »
    'yous' when referring to an individual directly

You'd need a skanger dictionary if you were coming to the big smoke.
    'yous' is plural

It's a second-person plural pronoun. Wouldn't be correct in the queens english though.
    The culchie equivalent is Yeeeeee. Pronounced as in Yee-Haw cowboy.

You'd need a skanger dictionary if you were coming to the big smoke.
    'yous' is plural

It's a second-person plural pronoun. Wouldn't be correct in the queens english though.
    The culchie equivalent is Yeeeeee. Pronounced as in Yee-Haw cowboy.

I've heard dubs say 'yous are wrong' or similar to an individual several times.

It is indeed meant to be plural but some skangers & dubs can't even use wrong words correctly.... Do yous not understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Vita nova

mikhail wrote: »
    You used to be exclusively plural. Thou was singular. Use of French in the British court in the centuries after Hastings meant that you was increasingly used in the singular because it sounds like the equivalent French vous and because of formal modes of address (surviving as the royal "we").

You was accusative ("I heard you arrive.") and dative ("I heard a racket from you arriving."). Ye was nominative ("You made a racket arriving."). While English is the poorer for a lack of a distinct you plural, thank **** it dropped all that nonsense.

And for the record, I use all of it: you, ye, yiz (rarely), y'all (mostly ironically), you lot...

Oh, and last thing, English used to have a unique word for you two: ink.
    True, although as you know, object forms of other personal pronouns still exist in English, I/me, he/him, she/her, we/us, they/them. It also exists in the thou version of the second person pronoun, thou/thee, although thou is really only used in the north of England nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭No again Danni

These are actually quite popular and in fashion now for women to wear usually with a white vest top or something similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Fake Scores

It is indeed meant to be plural but some skangers & dubs can't even use wrong words correctly.... Do yous not understand?

It must be only west brit, heroin car thieves that can admit when they're wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,140 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Don’t forget the socks tucked into the bottom of the tracksuit

Isn't that very mid 2000's.
    It's mainly no socks or ankle socks now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Depends on the context, you can be speaking to an individual, yet referring to a group of people to which that individual is part of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭johnire

That's very true unfortunately. That trend has to be one of the digusting vomit inducing that's been introduced.
    Who wants to see some skinny young fellas pasty white ankles?
    Isn't that very mid 2000's.
    It's mainly no socks or ankle socks now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

you,s is usually used to refer to a group of 2 or more people.
    like you guys in america.
    skangers seem to like grey or black tracksuits, maybe they are cheap or easy to find in any shop .
    yous= plural .
    dublin people say you ,you= one person.
    the ironic thing is most people who wear tracksuits have no interest in
    exercise, running or jogging,
    its the default thing to wear if you are a working class male anywhere in ireland.
    And its an international trend,
    the only people who wear suits now are people who work in offices ,
    banks, or people going to a formal event, wedding, interview etc

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Achebe

Why is it only really Ireland and UK where people wear tracksuits?
    If everyone could just do us all a favour and not wear them outside please. For me it's the equivalent of women going around in their pyjamas. I mean make just a few seconds effort and put some grown up clothes on, Jesus.

Is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Steve012

Your Face wrote: »
    Lol, ok Blindboy.

Blindboy..... :D Make sure your not too self conscious in your trackie bottoms.
    Mug :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Vita nova wrote: »
    Not that I'd call myself or anyone else a "culchie" but ye is a correct but somewhat archaic second person pronoun, singular or plural. It's to be found in the Bible, the works of Shakespeare, Christmas carols etc. It's also used in Scotland and parts of the North or England along with thee and thou.

Btw, I have no problem with yous either, in fact often used it when I was a child. Modern English seriously lacks a distinct second person plural pronoun, 'you' often requires further precision, hence "you all".

I think I read somewhere that second person plural pronouns were scrubbed from 'standard English' over time by stuffy Oxbridge grammarians precisely because variants sounded regional and 'common.'

Similarly, the singular they is a conflict zone for stubborn grammarians who just say 'the rules are the rules' without quite being able to explain why. Some will attempt to battle you to the death if you say "If attacked, the victim should remain exactly where they are".. Again, the singular they can be found in the works of Lord Byron for instance, but it will still get some grammarians' blood up as they believe it to be wrong because they were taught it was wrong.

Perfectly cromulent in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

The grey tracksuit and black North Face jacket brigade are an embarrassment to themselves and their families.

I cringe for you/yous/ye/ya'll/yizzers. Dress properly and get a job!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It’s the uniform of the scumbag, grey bottoms, a hoodie of some sort and trainers. How else would the scumbags recognise each other without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

I don't wear them and haven't since I realised that some women look for the outline of your dick when you have them on. Some lads go commando and will suddenly start doing jumping jacks at the bus stop if there's women around, just to draw attention that area. And I'm like 'well done, you have a penis and you should also have a warrant out for your arrest because what you're doing is illegal I think'.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

You often see groups of about 6 young fellas wearing blue jackets and grey bottoms. Like they all dress the same. And none of them try wear warm clothes. Its mental. In the coldest weeks, I'm enjoying wearing a headscarf, insulated jacket etc and these little nit-bags are always walking around freezing.

Ireland is one of the worst countries in Europe/the world for people wearing tracksuits as their go-to day to day wear. Its particularly funny seeing grown men over 40 wearing tracksuits. You know, the non-gym types. Tracksuits for life. I can't take them seriously.

I used to know a lad that one Christmas proudly showed me his "luvly" Christmas clothes before Christmas which consisted of a khaki green Adidas tracksuit. Nice tracksuit, but Christmas clothes? Lol. If you think gym attire is "luuvly" Christmas clothes, you don't have a clue.

The funny thing in all this is scumbags think tracksuits are good high-end fashion but it actually makes them stand out and be judged as you can tell whem they arent gym heads. Their choice in attire is so limiting too. I mean you cant walk into most pubs or blend into any self-respecting establishments.

If I were a criminal, I'd dress very casually in "uniform" that wouldn't look out of place if I had to nip into a pub/hotel etc to hide in the crowd or keep a low profile and blend in. Nope. These guys wear tracksuits.They stand out like a sore thumb. Lets hope they keep it that way. It's good to spot them to avoid them.

I wear grey trackies in the house but always put on jeans and boots going out. Cause I'm a man. Not a man-child. ��

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

I love them on men.

They leave nothing to the imagination.
    McGaggs wrote: »
    You can see the skid marks?

I don't know what kind of people yizzer all hanging around, but I don't see anyone with skidmarks on their jocks ..

Hammer89 wrote: »
    I don't wear them and haven't since I realised that some women look for the outline of your dick when you have them on. Some lads go commando and will suddenly start doing jumping jacks at the bus stop if there's women around, just to draw attention that area. And I'm like 'well done, you have a penis and you should also have a warrant out for your arrest because what you're doing is illegal I think'.

Which bus stop is this??

Could do with a bit of sightseeing later on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Hammer89 wrote: »

While engaging in a spot of “shadow puppets” publicly is, certainly, distasteful I don’t believe that it is illegal.

Now, I, personally, have witnessed these characters engage in, what is commonly known as, “frottaging”. Rubbing your, clothed, genitals up against another person or thing, on public transport, at busy bars and even saw one grey trackies wearer at a garage petrol pump “enjoying” the vibrations. It left nothing to the imagination, he was sporting a clear, and graphic, erection and he didn’t seem to care who could see. It may well have been a diesel pump.

These creeps are out there so be vigilant, especially when someone passes close to your person space. One of the, very few, positives from this horrible pandemic is that all of these, low level, sex pests have had their indecent “activities” curtailed but when things get back to normal that will change.

The tide is turning…

They are all 'Gopnik' wannabes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I love wearing them at home as they're so comfy (and they make my butt look good :D ) I might head to my local Dunnes or Off Licence with them with a hoody and runners but I wouldn't normally wear them for regular outdoor wear.

My big issue are the teens that wear the God-awful skinny ones that look about 5 sizes too small for them. The trousers are way too tight and the legs are way too short, exposing their bony ankles, it's a hideous look. Back in my school days you would be bullied for wearing something like that, the kids would think you were poor or something. I say bring back the baggy trousers from my 90's teen years :D

I love wearing them at home as they're so comfy (and they make my butt look good :D ) I might head to my local Dunnes or Off Licence with them with a hoody and runners but I wouldn't normally wear them for regular outdoor wear.

If you've got it, flaunt it !

I say bring back the baggy trousers from my 90's teen years :D

Are they the ones with the zips up the sides??
    With zips slightly opened so the bottoms are dragging along the ground getting torn & muddy.

Usually paired with New Balance trainers!? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

KungPao wrote: »
    The grey tracksuit and black North Face jacket brigade are an embarrassment to themselves and their families.

I cringe for you/yous/ye/ya'll/yizzers. Dress properly and get a job!

I dress like that, I'm 27, not living with mammy or daddy, earning 6 figures (legally) and doing well for myself.

Please tell me where I've gone wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

I'm wearng them right now. They are fleecy and warmer than most pyjama bottoms. Also good for gardening. That thought makes me sad because I overtightened the screw on my pole saw and now I can't open it to fix the chain that has come loose. Such minor damage to render the tool unusable.

Now it is Spring so we need to hold off the sort of pruning I had planned until the Autumn. Otherwise we could disturb nesting birds. Alas, the roses and some other shrubs have grown to block our view across the hills in one spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

I knew I shouldn’t have read this thread. An insight into prejudice and snobbery if ever there was one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

I remember walking along Nassau St and overheard a small group of tourists saying they would go ask that group of athletes nearby for directions to the Book of Kells. Those lads were not a bunch of athletes. Tracksuits can be misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I've a memory of walking O'Connell street at the corner of Parnell street in Dublin. (For all "Ye" culchies and your "which O'Connell street!")

Walking away anyway, and I over heard a "Jacinta type" in a tracksuit pushing a buggy with an over grown child in it talking to who I assume was her partner in a tracksuit also.

As the two of them spoke out loud for the surrounding people to hear the conversation, she said to him "Dnt 4get ur in court on (whatever day it was). You'll av 2 wer sumting nice, I'll wash ur grey adidas tracksuit 4 u 2 wear 2 it, u luk nice in dat 1".

It's gotta to the stage now where I'm not shocked by that carry on anymore, and I do fully agree with previous posters here, they are worn by a certain group of people, people I have no interest in dealing with and it seems to be very uncommon outside of ireland / UK. Anywhere else I've ever been in the world around Europe, Asia and North America, I haven't seen any of it I don't think. But the U.K and Ireland ? Plenty around and by the same group of undesirables.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

the big black puffy jackets are definitely the uniform now, disgusting looking...

Advertisement