Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do Irish people support English teams?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

8-10 wrote: »
    As I've said many times, there's loads and loads of valid reasons why, quote from earlier in the thread -

Nobody is saying it's only because of parents and uncles.

Plenty trot it out for United and Liverpool though and go silent when asked about Birmingham/Everton/Palace etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Yeah honestly that scenario leads into economic and social issues in the respective countries, I think you're talking about a scenario that would go above soccer and the nature of support. I would definitely not be happy to see the LOI or EPL completely cease to exist as you mention, hopefully that never comes to pass.

As I've said many times, there's loads and loads of valid reasons why, quote from earlier in the thread -

Nobody is saying it's only because of parents and uncles. There's loads of valid reasons for supporting an English team.

I regularly fly into Birmingham for Liverpool games and see plenty on the train up. Maybe it just looks that way on game days. You're probably right.

It obviously never will happen and you're just dodging it now because you know you want to say EPL but that you can't logically justify it.

Watching them on TV and other people in pubs also being pseudo supporters of the club so you can talk to them about it aren't valid reasons.

How badly would it effect EPL supporters here if their team upped sticks and went to another town like Wimbledon did? What would you do?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

I always find it funny when people here say they support Chelsea.. a big section of their fan base are well in with the Linfield and Rangers crowd.. they'd be big admirers of the UVF/UDA boys up north.. always cracks me up when I hear people I know shouting about Chelsea

Bulls!!t

A tiny minority is all it is.

I lived in London for years (East end however) but have been to Stamford Bridge on numerous occasions. The majority of Chelsea fans are either your typical londoner or well to do type.

FTR I'm a West Ham fan

• Registered Users Posts: 27,844 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Omackeral wrote: »
    How badly would it effect EPL supporters here if their team upped sticks and went to another town like Wimbledon did? What would you do?

It was pretty tough for Shamrock Rovers, and they didn't leave Dublin?

This is a very good article, which ticks many of the boxes on the reasons why. Interestingly, as well as television, it mentions the location of the Dublin clubs in the 1950s \ 1960s 'between the canals' and the subsequent flight to the suburbs.

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2016/02/12/the-declining-history-of-the-league-of-ireland/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭8-10

D14Rugby wrote: »
    It obviously never will happen and you're just dodging it now because you know you want to say EPL but that you can't logically justify it.

No I don't want to say EPL. You've created a much larger scenario than simply which do you prefer just to prove your argument that you refuse to give up: that I want the LOI to suffer in order for the EPL to succeed.

I can categorically say that I do not want that to happen. And I do not want the LOI to cease to exist.

I have no idea why you are trying to argue consistently that I somehow want the LOI to not succeed, I have not said that. And making up scenarios that you say will obviously never happen just to try and trick me into saying I want them not to succeed is just sad.

Why can't you accept that I don't want the LOI to be less successful than the EPL? That's my opinion that I'm giving over and over to you and you seem to want badly to believe that I want the league to suffer even though I'm not saying that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Comparing "I was at the game yesterday, unreal atmosphere, nobody left the ground for an hour after the trophy was lifted" to "I watched the game on tv yesterday, sounded like a good atmosphere" is absolute night and day.

True but IF your more invested in the team on tv then its debatable as to which would be more enjoyable for you. Yes it's true that a supporter of a team will enjoy watching his team live more than watching his team on tv.

Wonder would any English club moving to another area bother any Irish fan in the way it did the Dons supporters.

True, it would'nt bother most Irish fans all that much.

Would it make it easier to get tickets? :P

Our main problem right now is the stadium is far too small to meet demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,962 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Bulls!!t

I lived in London for years (East end however) but have been to Stamford Bridge on numerous occasions. The majority of Chelsea fans are either your typical londoner or well to do type.

FTR I'm a West Ham fan

I know people who were match day stewards at Chelsea before they got all the money and witness Linfield and Rangers stuff being sold at the club shop

Greyfox wrote: »
    True but IF your more invested in the team on tv then its debatable as to which would be more enjoyable for you. Yes it's true that a supporter of a team will enjoy watching his team live more than watching his team on tv.

True, it would'nt bother most Irish fans all that much.

It seemed, it looked, it sounded is always trumped by it was. No matter what.

And therein lies the truth. If you can watch the very fabric of your club be ripped apart and not care then it's not your club.

• Advertisement

If you can watch the very fabric of your club be ripped apart and not care then it's not your club.

Nope. There's no rules or tiers or levels of support. It's a personal thing who your team is.

It's not up to you.

And therein lies the truth. If you can watch the very fabric of your club be ripped apart and not care then it's not your club.

I never said I didn't care. If a club moves location it may even end up been a good thing in the long run. It's true it's horrible for the local fans and I would feel bad for them but the reality is it will only directly effect me if results on the pitch change.

Nope. There's no rules or tiers or levels of support. It's a personal thing who your team is.

It's not up to you.

If you can say that your club upping sticks and moving 90km away means ''not much'' then there absolutely is a difference. Clubs are intrinsic parts of their locality.

I never said I didn't care. If a club moves location it may even end up been a good thing in the long run. It's true it's horrible for the local fans and I would feel bad for them but the reality is it will only directly effect me if results on the pitch change.

You don't give a rats about the club tbh by the sounds of it. Feel bad for the locals but it doesn't really effect you. Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 padzer220982

Bulls!!t

FTR I'm a West Ham fan

haha ya right a tiny minority that's like saying a tiny minority of Rangers fans support loyalist paramilitaries

If you can say that your club upping sticks and moving 90km away means ''not much'' then there absolutely is a difference. Clubs are intrinsic parts of their locality.

But you don't have to have any ties to that locality for it to be your club.

All this thread seems to be is EPL fans saying everybody should be free to support who they want and LOI fans wanting to scrutinise and judge other fans with their own rules of what a 'proper' or 'real' fan should or shouldn't do or feel.

I know which league sounds more welcoming to new fans

It's not up to you.

This quote says everything I need to know about your "support" not worth the screen space it takes up.

You go tell that to the Wimbledon fans, I'll pre book the dentist for you. Actually nevermind Wimbledon say that to a Rovers fans face and see where it gets you.

You don't give a rats about the club tbh by the sounds of it. Feel bad for the locals but it doesn't really effect you. Jesus.

Nonsense, I love my club. It's the results on the pitch that matter most.

But you don't have to have any ties to that locality for it to be your club.

All this thread seems to be is EPL fans saying everybody should be free to support who they want and LOI fans wanting to scrutinise and judge other fans with their own rules of what a 'proper' or 'real' fan should or shouldn't do or feel.

I know which league sounds more welcoming to new fans

No this thread is loi fans saying watch whoever the **** you want but support your local aswell at least and that if you can't understand why local fans have more of a connection to the club there's something wrong. And EPL fans saying that they're too lazy to give their local team the support it deserves but taking objection to being called out on it.

Possibly the most superficial ignorant view of football I have ever read/heard.

If you think a football club is just about results on the pitch I genuinely really pity you.

Actually nevermind Wimbledon say that to a Rovers fans face and see where it gets you.

After a long journey Rovers have a happy ending. Their home ground is now in a superb location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Not to me. Bohs haven’t won anything in years but Dalymount is a better evening out for me than it ever has been these days.

After a long journey Rovers have a happy ending. Their home ground is now in a superb location.

Do you work for the FAI? Sounds like the spin they'd put on it.

Do you work for the FAI? Sounds like the spin they'd put on it.

The FAI probably don’t know who Rovers are ffs

Possibly the most superficial ignorant view of football I have ever read/heard.

If you think a football club is just about results on the pitch I genuinely really pity you.

We both know results on the pitch is what matters most to a football club so I don't know what your waffling about, if you don't think results matter most then you don't understand football. It's not ignorant it's living in the real world and having common sense. How can a club move effect me directly when I live nowhere near the area? It will only effect me if results change due to the move. A club is bigger than the local community.

No this thread is loi fans saying watch whoever the **** you want but support your local aswell at least

Again, as I've said on this thread I do go to local games every season and I've seen my local team live more recently than Liverpool.

But doesn't mean it's my team. My team is Liverpool. Champions of Europe. Not the local team. I don't feel the same connection with them just because they're nearby.

The arrogance to classify my support of Liverpool in quotation marks says all I need to know about your bitterness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

How can a club move effect me directly when I live nowhere near the area? It will only effect me if results change due to the move. A club is bigger than the local community.

Well, exactly. How can it affect you when you live nowhere near the area ? But yet, you claim them as "your" club. The local supporters may disagree with you though that the club is bigger than the local community.

I've said before that I really don't give a rats ass who people support, but I do find the English supporting lads just a tad disingenuous on the subject. We all get it really. You support English teams because it's more glamorous, it's indoctrinated into us by the media, and frankly it's easier. Yeah the football is a higher standard, but I honestly think that's incidental.

Not to me. Bohs haven’t won anything in years but Dalymount is a better evening out for me than it ever has been these days.

But your going to enjoy the match more if your team wins. Also attendances increase when a team is doing well

But your going to enjoy the match more if your team wins. Also attendances increase when a team is doing well

Well yeah. Anyway supporting a foreign team is nothing like having a local connection. They are two different experiences. I like supporting Bohs whereas I’d be very cynical about how superstar football is these days.

We both know results on the pitch is what matters most to a football club so I don't know what your waffling about, if you don't think results matter most then you don't understand football. It's not ignorant it's living in the real world and having common sense. How can a club move effect me directly when I live nowhere near the area? It will only effect me if results change due to the move. A club is bigger than the local community.

Nothing, nothing is bigger than its community, as I said if you think a football club is just results on a pitch then there's no need to even continue this because your whole view of football is flawed, nevermind your view of who to support.
    Again, as I've said on this thread I do go to local games every season and I've seen my local team live more recently than Liverpool.

But doesn't mean it's my team. My team is Liverpool. Champions of Europe. Not the local team. I don't feel the same connection with them just because they're nearby.

The arrogance to classify my support of Liverpool in quotation marks says all I need to know about your bitterness.

You've said you wouldn't really care if your club moved. If Liverpool moved to London for example it may survive legally but in terms of it as a club it will be dead as a dodo. For me (and I feel pretty safe in saying the people of Liverpool would be with me) for you to not care about that means your support is worth sweet **** all

• Advertisement

You've said you wouldn't really care if your club moved.

Sigh

Where did I say this?

Honestly what I write and what you read are so far apart. You still havent answered my previous question from earlier so I'd appreciate a response to that and a quotation where I said I wouldn't really care if Liverpool moved

Advertisement