Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Building

• 15-03-2020 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

No better hobby while we're all encouraged to stay at home! :) Anyone cracking open a saved set or ordering new ones? Got the Fiat 500 last week and will probably build that. Also contemplating 2000451 which I put away in the attic. Lastly, just crumbled and ordered 10261 to build with the kids as it's reduced in Smyth's at the moment.
    Any recommendations on current sets that are a really enjoyable build? I did Central Perk a couple of months ago and really enjoyed that one.
    Tagged:

Comments

g0g wrote: »
    No better hobby while we're all encouraged to stay at home! :) Anyone cracking open a saved set or ordering new ones? Got the Fiat 500 last week and will probably build that. Also contemplating 2000451 which I put away in the attic. Lastly, just crumbled and ordered 10261 to build with the kids as it's reduced in Smyth's at the moment.
    Any recommendations on current sets that are a really enjoyable build? I did Central Perk a couple of months ago and really enjoyed that one.

Yup, I've been building the unbuilt sets. Built 75043 and 75158 the other day. Picked up 75222 yesterday and have another 6 unbuild sets to get through. Rationing 75222 to 2 bags a day or I'll run out of stuff to build by the weekend!

On Saturday Im going to order a couple of sets from Smyths. I'm thinking of ordering a set or two. If I'm in a sensible mood, I'll order just the small £20 Snowspeeder. If not, I'm going to get LEGO 75273 Star Wars Poe Dameron's X-wing Fighter

denartha wrote: »
    On Saturday Im going to order a couple of sets from Smyths. I'm thinking of ordering a set or two. If I'm in a sensible mood, I'll order just the small £20 Snowspeeder. If not, I'm going to get LEGO 75273 Star Wars Poe Dameron's X-wing Fighter

I love the colour of that X-wing but the price upsets me so much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I built the 42099 Technic 4x4 last week, built 75265 T-16 Skyhopper vs Bantha Microfighters this afternoon, will do the 42110 Technic Land Rover this coming week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Where's the best place to buy the Claas Xerion 42054? Cancelled golfing holiday piggy Bank being raided. I see it on Redbrain Ebay for 212€ but looks incomplete, best off go into an auction?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Try bricklink.com

Try bricklink.com

That is some site! About to pull the trigger, looks like it's a well run marketplace. Any do's/ don'ts I should be wary of? Looking at a Norwegian seller with 99% positive and paying with PayPal...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

That is some site! About to pull the trigger, looks like it's a well run marketplace. Any do's/ don'ts I should be wary of? Looking at a Norwegian seller with 99% positive and paying with PayPal...

If you're unsure about postage, ask the seller. Some sellers will only ship via courier, some by registered post etc. Always good to know the total cost before you take the plunge.

Some sellers, however, have an automated system where they know the weight and size of every item in their store so can calculate the exact shipping from your basket.

Just echoing what Rhyme said. Due to PayPal rules moat sellers will need to ship with some sort of tracking to prove they sent the item in the event of a claim. Most will only do this over a certain value (normally about €20 but it varies).

Tracked shipping especially from the Scandinavian countries can often be half the cost of a set so its worth popping the seller a message to see how much shipping is in advance. Also don't forget you may have handling fees and PayPal fees on top.

Rhyme wrote: »
    If you're unsure about postage, ask the seller. Some sellers will only ship via courier, some by registered post etc. Always good to know the total cost before you take the plunge.

Some sellers, however, have an automated system where they know the weight and size of every item in their store so can calculate the exact shipping from your basket.

Ended up buying off this site, after a bit of drama. Emailed first seller he came back with a quote of €34 postage from Norway, lo and behold his PayPal wouldn't accept my deposit. Bought off another in Czech Republic for €8 more, shipped this morning hopefully arrive in a week. Just finishing an Airfix XKR it'd be ideal!

Thanks for the emailing tip!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Finally got started building my Creator Apollo 11 Lunar Lander set. :)

Building LEGO is a great de-stresser and form of mindful activity - but Im preaching to the converted here. :D

11417_78629579_33a70740-002f-4265-a20b-d9a2b5c76667.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LooseCanon

Hoping to start Apollo 11 tonight or tomorrow! Need it after all this working from home in a new job type stuff😬 Find it unbelievably relaxing to just get some building time in!

Although tempted to get stuck into the Apollo Saturn V rocket. Have a few unbuilt larger sets with me at the minute so could start on Porsche 42056 or Stranger Things 75810. Might stick with Apollo 11 after seeing that pic!

Finished the Batmobile last weekend! Dragged out over a few weeks but such a joy to be back getting some building time to relax and satisfaction on completion!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I bought and built the the 007 Aston Martin. Limited it to one section a day so it was built over 4 days. Took roughly 8 hours to complete. It's a lovely finished piece.

Ended up buying off this site, after a bit of drama. Emailed first seller he came back with a quote of €34 postage from Norway, lo and behold his PayPal wouldn't accept my deposit. Bought off another in Norway for €8 more, shipped this morning hopefully arrive in a week. Just finishing an Airfix XKR it'd be ideal!

Thanks for the emailing tip!

How long for a package to come from Norway? Ordered just 3 weeks ago, order number says it left Oslo PO on the 26th. Surely just stuck in some warehouse, who would Norwegian Post deal with here? An Post?

How long for a package to come from Norway? Ordered just 3 weeks ago, order number says it left Oslo PO on the 26th. Surely just stuck in some warehouse, who would Norwegian Post deal with here? An Post?

Honestly it varies so much. 2-3 weeks is probably the average. Wouldn't be worried with a delay at the moment though. My dad works for An Post and everyday he says their inundated with packages.

The problem with the tracking is that An Post will issue their own tracking number as well to help complicate things! Maybe give it another week then get on to the seller?

Yeah I'm not too worried, once I know it has left Oslo it's on the way, I'd just like to know where it is now.. I'll leave it til Friday week, 4 weeks after dispatch, and see what happens.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Standard post from Europe is in bits due to so few passenger flights - it usually comes over in the belly cargo of those. UK not as much if at all affected as there are still quite a few (mostly carrying belly cargo and empty air above in the passenger cabin).

Courier firms run their own flights all the time

I'm rebuilding the technic tow truck 8285, halfway through and I've discovered that I have somehow lost a few pieces (angular beams) over the years :mad:
    Whats the delivery time like these days from Lego or bricklink?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Ordered in a few nice sets on LEGO.com and joy of joys...they are being shipped!

Happy days! :):D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

Built The Detectives Office last week aswell as Homer/Krusty Brickheadz. Mustang this week. Plenty in storage if i am stuck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Finished my Mustang
    I'm disappointed with the printed bricks along the door.
    My stubby fingers mean I'm well used to creating crooked lines with stickers, but preprinted mismatches is a bit unforgivable :(

510981.jpg

It BeeMee wrote: »
    Finished my Mustang
    I'm disappointed with the printed bricks along the door.
    My stubby fingers mean I'm well used to creating crooked lines with stickers, but preprinted mismatches is a bit unforgivable :(

510981.jpg

I read something about this...its common. I cannot remember if lego were sending replacements or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Lidl ninja Temple, for 25 quid its a nice distraction for a few days building

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

madalig12 wrote: »
    I read something about this...its common. I cannot remember if lego were sending replacements or not.

Thanks for the heads up

I placed an order under replacement/ missing bricks - see what happens

It BeeMee wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up

I placed an order under replacement/ missing bricks - see what happens

Let me know as its my next build.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭Heroditas

First time poster in this thread. Have two daughters who are obsessed with all types of Lego from Batman to Lego Friends.
    We rescued two massive crates of Lego from the in-laws a couple of weeks back and have been rebuilding some of the old pirate sets from the late 80s/early 90s, as well as an old airport.

Also, my wife ordered 10255 and has been working on it recently.
    I ordered 76139 and have been staring at the box for the last fortnight waiting for the right moment to crack into it.
    Also considering ordering 42099. Seems like a bit of fun!
    My 5yo built 41395 by herself over a couple of days and is obsessed with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Heroditas wrote: »
    First time poster in this thread. Have two daughters who are obsessed with all types of Lego from Batman to Lego Friends.
    We rescued two massive crates of Lego from the in-laws a couple of weeks back and have been rebuilding some of the old pirate sets from the late 80s/early 90s, as well as an old airport.

Also, my wife ordered 10255 and has been working on it recently.
    I ordered 76139 and have been staring at the box for the last fortnight waiting for the right moment to crack into it.
    Also considering ordering 42099. Seems like a bit of fun!
    My 5yo built 41395 by herself over a couple of days and is obsessed with it.

76139 looks awesome. A sweet display piece at the end too. Who can say no to Batman pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

76139 looks awesome. A sweet display piece at the end too. Who can say no to Batman pieces.

As someone that's built it, it really is. Beautiful piece, and really caught the eye of visitors we had before the restrictions were put in place!

Just built The Upside Down (75810) and have both of them on display on top of our Ikea TV unit, and they look great!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Star Lord wrote: »
    As someone that's built it, it really is. Beautiful piece, and really caught the eye of visitors we had before the restrictions were put in place!

Just built The Upside Down (75810) and have both of them on display on top of our Ikea TV unit, and they look great!

Good to know as I'm toying between building the Upside Down, the Palace cinema or waiting for Old Trafford which I've just ordered. Might go with the Upside Down so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭Heroditas

75810 looks very very tempting

Advertisement