Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gay Byrne RIP

• 04-11-2019 3:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭

Everyone’s favourite TV & Radio uncle. One of a kind....

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

source?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

One of the best broadcasters we have ever produced

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Kimbot wrote: »
    source?

RTE newsflash on right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

F

• Registered Users Posts: 30,149 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

My main memories of him were presenting the Toy Show when I was a kid and when he finished up in 1999.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/1104/1088580-gay-byrne/

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Sad day for everyone that ever turned on the radio or TV in this country.Never will his likes be seen again,a true pro.RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

RIP Gaybo. He was very much part of the fabric of RTE, and indeed of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Ah I am genuinely gutted to read that. He was a great broadcaster and ahead of his time in terms of the content of his shows. He was a great supporter of the underdog and those society tended to shun. Rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,959 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Greatest Irish broadcaster (alongside Terry Wogan). Head and shoulders above anyone else at RTE.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Invisibleman

He was full of himself and full of sh*t in my opinion,
    made a career out of talking down to people

• Registered Users Posts: 37,713 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Ah no RIP

One of a kind and really made the late late show his

Never met him but seemed like a nice guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The consummate chat show broadcaster.

The best there ever was on this side of pond anyway. Would rate him higher than Parkinson or Wogan.

Ar dheis de go raibh a anam uasal dilis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Always liked him. Never see the likes of him or Sir Terry again. Both were different class.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

RIP.

A great presenter, well ahead of his time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

RIP.

An effortless presenter, well ahead of his time.
    Sometimes he was at odds with his own belief which shun through in some of his interviews, but we he was agnostic he was fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

eviltwin wrote: »
    Ah I am genuinely gutted to read that. He was a great broadcaster and ahead of his time in terms of the content of his shows. He was a great supporter of the underdog and those society tended to shun. Rest in peace.

???Annie Murphy,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

Gay Byrne RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Met him and sat beside him on a flight to London about 15 years ago. I was on the flight deck chatting to the captain and he came into us and introduced himself. Ended up sitting beside him then during the flight. Genuine gentleman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

RIP Gay Byrne

Absolute legend and the most talented person to work in Irish TV. Part of growing up for a generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭SickBoy

RIP uncle Gaybo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,334 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Neither excira or delira. RIP

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Gay Byrne was the king of broadcasting in Ireland. He dominated TV and radio for so many years. For many people of a certain age, the Late Late Show was synonymous with Gay Byrne. Whatever people may have thought of his personal views, which he was not afraid to state on radio, or his attitude to some guests, Gay was the consummate broadcaster and host.

It is not a cliché to say that there will be no-one quite like him in his style of delivery.

RIP to a broadcasting giant.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,149 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I saw some interviews he did online and I found them great mainly because he let people speak and didn't interrupt with stupid questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

He was a professional. I remember being in the audience of the Late Late and he could produce on the hoof, as well as present. Probably one of Ireland's best presenters - even though I hated some of his condescending interviews (Annie Murphy immeadiately springs to mind - hated the way he treated her, it was a different Ireland then) I enjoyed The Meaning of Life too.

Ar dheis de go raibh a anam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭elperello

RIP
    A true legend.

De mortuis nil nisi bonum.

Advertisement