Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Movie Pictures

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Back where it all started...

Captain America would like a word..

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZKzCCBmBQVbu_wNlEzt_uhOp44HzRE6LJw021Z67aaqfgt1-h

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I was old enough to see all Star Wars movies in the cinema: Star Wars/Empire in a double bill when Empire came out. I always remember the scene below, even as a kid. The perfect music rising, a young Luke Skywalker looking into the sunset. And what a sunset. (Suns set? Sunsets?) Longing for more than his farm. It still gives me goosebumps. Before Lucas lost the run of himself - Being able to do whatever he wants simply because the technology is there and nobody said "No" (A fate that befell Peter Jackson with The bloated and plasticky Hobbit movies). Before Lucas lost the run of himself he was a decent film-maker (Just a terrible writer of dialogue)....

Anyway...... Sunsets......

758215-twin-suns.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I'm starting to well up already.....

rickschroder_1226601491.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

This hit me almost as hard as the Opening scene in Up.

maxresdefault.jpg

Up
    980x.png

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

998825efd066843ce1f40c58c55d9243.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,149 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Schindler's List

red+coat.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Taxi Driver
    DickSmithTaxiDriver_large.jpg

Falling Down
    Douglas+-+Falling+Down.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

"Yo, Adrian ... "

Rocky-2-yo-adrian-i-did-it-1024x512.jpg

Was lucky enough to be at the Q&A with Makoto Shinkai a couple of years ago in Dublin when "Children Who Chase Lost Voices" came out. His movies are stunningly beautiful (Especially "Voices of a Distant Star" and "5CM Per Second"): Big sky, normal urban and rural Japan, framing. It was very satisfying to see the critical and international box-office success of his latest movie: "Your Name"

b2a0423bed98d99f1ea38ceda757ffd5.jpg

(Just STOP calling him the "Next Miyazaki" He is NOTHING like him in style. "Children Who chase" would be the closest in style to Ghibli and it still is quite different tonally and style from Ghibli)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

La Haine

film__2857-la-haine--hi_res-fd29456d.jpg

• Advertisement

James Cagney and Mae Clarke in 1931's Public Enemy. We tend to think of early films as pretty twee and this is mainly down to the limitations imposed by the Hays Code. The code was in place from the 1930's right up to 1968 but was followed to various degrees. Originally intended to protect the morals of the American public it was actually self-imposed to avoid even harsher codes being applied by other groups.

The scene below is still quite shocking to look at in it's portrayal of casual domestic violence. And especially when you concider it was made in 1931. They had the balls, talent and willingness to make serious, hard-hitting films that tackled serious subjects in a grown up and honest way but to often their hands were tied.

public-enemy-07.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭dball

The-Jerk-steve-martin-13539876-790-535.jpg

Bullit
    Bullitt2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Some ones that stand out to me.

latest?cb=20110403061706

mad-max.jpg

latest?cb=20160206081420&path-prefix=protagonist

120216_CB_Tree_Shawshank.jpg.CROP.article568-large.jpg

shawshank-outside.jpg

the-big-red-one-408657l-marvin-and-boy.jpg

7099467_orig.png?w=660

apocalypse-now.jpg

20170125apocalipse-now.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,149 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

La Femme Nikita

Victor the cleaner - believed to have inspired Quentin Tarantino's character of Winston Wolf in Pulp Fiction

Jean Reno

victor-the-cleaning-man.png

Harvey Kietel (in the remake for english speaking audiences, called Point of no Return/The Assassin)

victor-the-cleaner.jpg

I know this is a gif but a static pic could not convey it. From Wings (1927). Look how smooth this pan in is. Imagine the restrictions of the technology of the time. Of course there have been many many extended shots (Russian Arc, Goodfellas to name two) but at a time where shots tended to be static and quite basic then this must have been simply mindblowing at the time. Each table has it's own little story until it focuses in on the last table, the focus and action around the character inducing a sense of queasiness reflecting the character's drunkenness.

76Sa.gif

They Live
    They-Live.jpg

I know this is a gif but a static pic could not convey it. From Wings (1927). Look how smooth this pan in is. Imagine the restrictions of the technology of the time. Of course there have been many many extended shots (Russian Arc, Goodfellas to name two) but at a time where shots tended to be static and quite basic then this must have been simply mindblowing at the time. Each table has it's own little story until it focuses in on the last table, the focus and action around the character inducing a sense of queasiness reflecting the character's drunkenness.

76Sa.gif
    The third table has a lesbian couple; very progressive for the 20's.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I know this is a gif but a static pic could not convey it. From Wings (1927). Look how smooth this pan in is. Imagine the restrictions of the technology of the time. Of course there have been many many extended shots (Russian Arc, Goodfellas to name two) but at a time where shots tended to be static and quite basic then this must have been simply mindblowing at the time.
    Russian Ark , "Night At The Museum" :pac:

It's one of those times where knowing how they did the trick makes it more impressive.

The third table has a lesbian couple; very progressive for the 20's.
    Not really.

The Hays Code put a stop to lots of stuff.

In Kurosawa's RAN anything that isn't an action scene could be a painting. The storyboards were.

3238c81ff9ce0f62a1f344704ca553b7.jpg

While I wasn't a huge fan of the movie, it was beautiful.

bladerunner1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭dball

maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

PFFYOxxTY61WM2Nj9t8V_GH019-The-Way-Of-DragonS02-860x400.jpg

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Thor, Rocket and Groot arrive during the Battle of Wakanda in Avengers Infinity War.

avengers-infinity-war-you-dont-have-to-be-worthy-to-use-thors-new-axe-stormbreaker.jpg

Spielberg's Jaws. I always loved the look on Robert Shaw/Quint's face in this scene. The rocking of the boat and the small smile on Quint's face. You never knew what that was about. Was he pleased that they managed to get the barrels on the shark or was he bemused by the fact they almost lost the chance or was it simply "Well now, chief. We just wait and have a drink"

Anyway: Jaws:

jawsquint-quint.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycle!"

68vvqs.jpg
    http://i67.tinypic.com/68vvqs.jpg

etzayq.jpg
    http://i67.tinypic.com/etzayq.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Glengarry Glen Ross. "Always Be Closing".

438124b4c06f3a5caffab2c07863b617_700x259.jpg

The start of "Arrival" (Not to be confused with "The Arrival"):

I wasn't gone on Bladerunner 2048. Thought it was just a bit too cold for me. But I did love Arrival.

I loved the framing of the movie: The rectangular motif that seems to run through it. How the opening shots of Amy Adams' window is so similar to the window through wich they view the aliens, to the whiteboards with all their notes at their command centre.

Maybe I'm just reading too much into it: Don't get me wrong, I don't sit in a cinema stroking my pointy beard :). I just like good cinematography: Even a terrible film can look beautiful (Sometimes style-over-substance). But certainly the house window and viewing window similarity must be intentional.

WZaRa.png

header1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭victor8600

What a beautiful fúckin' day.
    maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

holiday-inn-lg.jpg

Holiday Inn

• Advertisement

Since it was on over the weekend.

Tron Legacy did have its flaws: Poor CGI young Jeff Bridges head, poor central performance from lead character, it certainly looked great (Apart from said head :) ). There may be an argument of style over substance but I certainly found the movie interesting and was disappointed that it did so poorly that the planned sequels were cancelled.

Plus the soundtrack is kick-ass. anyway: Tron Legacy

MV5BMTM1Mzg3MDA1NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzYzMTQ5Mw@@._V1_SX1777_CR0,0,1777,756_AL_.jpg

Advertisement