Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you collect?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Danco wrote: »
    That sounds pretty cool. I loved that series, it was really dark for a kids show, and really well made.

Well, the cels are available online on ebay and various galleries. However the one I have is unusual. They did one episode in a style atypical of their usual style, telling stories inspired by different artists/writers. One of the segments was based on Frank Millar's The Dark Knight Returns. This was the book that brought Batman back from the "biff, pow, whammo" campness of the 60's show to the general public. The comics, in general, were serious in tone at this time but this was the book that caught the mainstream attention.. Here is the cel

108118.jpg

And a sample of my other stuff. These are two drawings from an animator and producer called Bruce Timm. He was one of the main people behind the Batman animated series and most of the subsequent Warner Bros superhero series of the 90's and 00's and was responsible for the look of most of the characters

108120.jpg

108122.jpg

The last sample is a drawing I have from an animated film called The Iron Giant (From Brad Bird who did The Incredbles and Ratatoullie). Originally there would be a hand drawing like this, then that would be transferred to plastic (cel) and hand painted. This then would be photographed. 24 of these for every second. Nowadays, even in hand animated films like Disney's The Princess and The Frog, the drawings are done by hand on a drawing tablet and digitally painted.
    108123.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Danco

Well, the cels are available online on ebay and various galleries. However the one I have is unusual. They did one episode in a style atypical of their usual style, telling stories inspired by different artists/writers. One of the segments was based on Frank Millar's The Dark Knight Returns. This was the book that brought Batman back from the "biff, pow, whammo" campness of the 60's show to the general public. The comics, in general, were serious in tone at this time but this was the book that caught the mainstream attention.. Here is the cel

108118.jpg

And a sample of my other stuff. These are two drawings from an animator and producer called Bruce Timm. He was one of the main people behind the Batman animated series and most of the subsequent Warner Bros superhero series of the 90's and 00's and was responsible for the look of most of the characters

108120.jpg

108122.jpg

The last sample is a drawing I have from an animated film called The Iron Giant (From Brad Bird who did The Incredbles and Ratatoullie). Originally there would be a hand drawing like this, then that would be transferred to plastic (cel) and hand painted. This then would be photographed. 24 of these for every second. Nowadays, even in hand animated films like Disney's The Princess and The Frog, the drawings are done by hand on a drawing tablet and digitally painted.
    108123.jpg

This is all cool stuff, especially the Batman cell, it's great that it's not one of those crappy cells where you can only see a hand or something in it. Are the drawings originals or prints? I'd imagine they're pretty rare to come by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Danco

Blade wrote: »
    Were old post boxes and phone boxes not exactly the same as the UK ones but painted over green?
    Most Irish postboxes still date from the pre-independence period and boxes with the Royal ciphers of Queen Victoria, Edward VII and George V can be found throughout the country. They were just painted over with green paint and, in most cases, the ciphers have been left intact. When boxes are damaged it is usually the door and so older boxes often have later doors including the rare Irish Free State monogram
    Shamefully enough, I had never even noticed many of the postboxes in Ireland match those in the UK in all but colour. I didn't realise there were so many variations at all. It really is the type of thing you could see every day and never really register. I'll be paying a lot more attention to the postboxes I pass in future. I think this is really interesting and I can't believe I never clicked into it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Danco wrote: »
    This is all cool stuff, especially the Batman cell, it's great that it's not one of those crappy cells where you can only see a hand or something in it. Are the drawings originals or prints? I'd imagine they're pretty rare to come by.

The batman one is one of my favourites. It seems simple enough but once you delve into the work involved and the history of the episode, you start to see the importance of the image. Much like Judgement's Day's post boxes. I would have thought "Wha? nutter" until I saw the photo I thanked and then I thought of the impact of those post boxes and the history behind them and I saw them in a new light: "P&T vans? I remember those". All of my stuff is original. One of them was made into a poster, one of them a T-shirt and another was a cover. I only have a few (7 drawings, one finished cel (Batman) and 3 initial animation drawings) And, yes, they are hard to come by alright. (And I've had to forfeit a holiday or two for some) I've been waiting for over 2 years a poison Ivy pic from Bruce Timm to come on sale and I got it last week. :)

But, I think, like all of you think, it's worth it. It's not their value. It's what prompted you to think "Yeah, I like that, I'll buy it". That's the real reason for collecting. I know a guy who collects a little bit of everything in the off chance that one of them is going to be worth a fortune some day. None of my stuff is going to be worth much more than what I paid for it but I like it, I like owning the original, and, hey, it's better than p1ssing it up against a wall each weekend.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Heres some samples of Roman items I've collected, coins, fibula/brooches, keys, rings etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Great collections lads,Blade those coins are in remarkable condition,very nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

But, I think, like all of you think, it's worth it. It's not their value. It's what prompted you to think "Yeah, I like that, I'll buy it". That's the real reason for collecting. I know a guy who collects a little bit of everything in the off chance that one of them is going to be worth a fortune some day. None of my stuff is going to be worth much more than what I paid for it but I like it, I like owning the original, and, hey, it's better than p1ssing it up against a wall each weekend.

The Irish Grover - I couldn't have put it better, collect what you like rather than what you think may increase in value, and perhaps it may in time, but who cares as long as it makes you happy. I have never consciously decided to take up collecting a particular type of item but have just gradually drifted in to it. In some cases I have shied away from branching into new areas of collecting as I know my limitations - banknotes/coins being an area which I have been trying to keep away from. I always have 40 or so banknotes/coins on my eBay 'watching' list but have, thus far, managed to restrict myself to the purchase of a solitary Queen Elizabeth II Nigerian three pence coin. I'm afraid of where it may lead if I once get started. :D

bh9z4nqwkkgrhqqheyesmgl.jpg

Another of my serious interests is ceramics collecting - but, of course, nothing too easy! I collect crested hotelware and related items such as cutlery, menus etc. I restrict myself to Irish and Manx items and they have to be from long extinct concerns or else very unusal items. I have never met another hotelware collector so I really have no idea about values but that is not driving force behind my collecting. The delightful, handpainted side plate by Alfred Meakin Ltd., from the Broadway Soda Fountain Parlor in O'Connell Street was a Christmas present - I can't imagine that much else has survived from that concern. Another oddity is the Bord na Mona desert bowl by Arklow Pottery. I discovered a large hoard of this crockery in use at the Friends Meeting House in Enniscorthy during 2005 - donated. The final picture in this trio is a soup plate from a long gone Enniscorthy hotel, The Portsmouth Arms, which was burnt down years ago. Apparently there was loads of crockery lying about in the remains of the building but mine came from the Antique Tavern where it had been on display for some years. Much badgering eventually persuaded the present owners to exchange it for a Black & White Dogs figure.
    8j738340.jpg
    boards005.jpg
    boards007.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

On the subject of crested hotelware, I do have a crested soap holder from a local hotel which was turned into apartments years ago. Only cause I collect items related to my town though.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Anthony O Brien

As far as my collecting goes ive really stopped over the last year until last week when i started to get back into it again
    i mainly collect coins and banknotes but i have bought alll sorts of different items that took my fancy over the years, ive bought some gems and alot of tat:D
    when i was collecting i was always changing my collection selling the older stuff to make room for the newer items, you can see some of the exiting items of my collection on ebay under the name mr.systematic

i got some rare items this week, paid too much for them but i got three very nice and rare coins a 1848 english shilling with a mint error, a youghal farthing and a cork farthing
    i will put up some pictures of them soon, can i just copy and paste pictures on here or do i have to use some other method? never put up a picture here before:)

• Advertisement

i will put up some pictures of them soon, can i just copy and paste pictures on here or do i have to use some other method? never put up a picture here before:)

You are best to use one of the FREE picture hosting services such as Imageshack: http://imageshack.us/ which you upload your photos to - very straightforward once you get used to it. Just remember not to delete pictures on imageshack which you have posted on Boards.ie or they will also disappear here. Hope you understand my poor explanation. Will be checking out your eBay listings later. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Anthony O Brien

thanks ill give it a go later
    the stuff ive on ebay at the moment is not very exciting mainly common items

Come on - lets have some more of you come clean on your collecting habits! In the meantime another of my weaknesses is for kitchenalia and a few of my favourites are pictured below. The rolling pin was purchased on eBay a couple of years ago and cost me about £30.00 - despite its rarity due to its fine condition, I use it at least once a week - carefully! The Horlicks mixing measure was bought for very little at the Un-Yoke Market in Wexford and also sees regular use; the Tongue plate cost a small fortune in an Isle of Man antiques shop ten years ago and is used for display purposes only.
    The two mechanical devices - the "Beatrice" mincer was bought on eBay for £25, and is in good working order, and identical to one that I grew up with at my Grannys' and that she used right into the 1980s. No built-in obsolescence there! The other machine is again identical to one that I grew up with and is used for making breadcrumbs, and I picked it up for €10 at the Blackrock Market a couple of years ago.
    Finally, the Millers guide is a valuable addition and gives details of the age of many gadgets and, more importantly, their purpose which is not always obvious! :)
    kitchenalia005.jpg
    kitchenalia008.jpg
    kitchenalia010.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

A nice little find of mine , was in one job lot many years ago .
    I have been buying on a hunch if something is unusual or quirky.......
    I found this amongst a pile of old eastern pots etc at an auction .

Its African , 17th century from Ghana .
    A real early piece of tribal art !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Come on - lets have some more of you come clean on your collecting habits! In the meantime another of my weaknesses is for kitchenalia and a few of my favourites are pictured below. The rolling pin was purchased on eBay a couple of years ago and cost me about £30.00 - despite its rarity due to its fine condition, I use it at least once a week - carefully! The Horlicks mixing measure was bought for very little at the Un-Yoke Market in Wexford and also sees regular use; the Tongue plate cost a small fortune in an Isle of Man antiques shop ten years ago and is used for display purposes only.
    The two mechanical devices - the "Beatrice" mincer was bought on eBay for £25, and is in good working order, and identical to one that I grew up with at my Grannys' and that she used right into the 1980s. No built-in obsolescence there! The other machine is again identical to one that I grew up with and is used for making breadcrumbs, and I picked it up for €10 at the Blackrock Market a couple of years ago.
    Finally, the Millers guide is a valuable addition and gives details of the age of many gadgets and, more importantly, their purpose which is not always obvious! :)

I didn't realise that those mincers were collectable.

I have 3 of them here. 2 of the brand "Spong" and 1 unmarked but looks a bit like the "Beatrice". Also have a Spong bean slicer and a French made "Mouli" parsley grinder.

A nice little find of mine , was in one job lot many years ago .
    I have been buying on a hunch if something is unusual or quirky.......
    I found this amongst a pile of old eastern pots etc at an auction .

Wow, looks like you found something very unusual there alright - did you ever have an expert throw their eye over it? I must say job lots at auction are my favourites but really good ones are a rarity now. I bought an old suitcase half full of mud at an auction in the Isle of Man about ten years ago - if it cost a tenner that was the height of it - and I'm still selling items from it. It was so manky nobody else bothered rooting through it and I made sure to virtually sit on top of it during the auction. Rare Shipping Line crockery, ships flags and much more besides - there's a lot to be said for dirty, dimly lit auction rooms. :D
    bloz8qbgkkgrhqihcoetqrz.jpg
    The well worn Isle of Man Steam Packet Company jug was one of the worst items in the suitcase and even it fetched 31 pounds for me on eBay recently!

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    I didn't realise that those mincers were collectable.

I have 3 of them here. 2 of the brand "Spong" and 1 unmarked but looks a bit like the "Beatrice". Also have a Spong bean slicer and a French made "Mouli" parsley grinder.

Collecting kitchenalia is big in Britain, and to a lesser extent here, but finding quality items here is very difficult. I find the car boot sale the best bet but be prepared to sift through mountains of rubbish if your looking for treasure. :)

Another piece of African bronze I have is this Senufo bronze bell , 19th Century (Ivory Coast).

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭migozarad

Scalps,anyone?It's just me then...

And a really early bronze heart-shaped box .
    Islamic , and many hundreds of years old , but I cant date it acurately !

Islam expressed in its most beautiful form was on paper , and ink and penboxes became really decorative in the East . This is very decorative for the age !!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I have at least a thousand phone cards from the 1990's it was a big deal back then collecting them. I was even a member of the "Telecom Eireann Call Card Collectors Club" :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Collect Antique Maps where ireland is featured, have about 40 of them now, some dating back to the 1600's and 1 from the 1500's. Have never got around to scanning them though.

Antique Prints of Irish landscapes, mostly stuff from William Bartlett, from around 1850's , well over a 100 of these now.

Chelsea football programmes and some other stuff, have pretty much every chelsea home game programme from the last 15 years + a few hundred others I've picked up on ebay along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

The only thing i could say i collect would be football memorabilia,or more precisely memorabilia from Arsenal's former ground Highbury. I've a few things i bought when the Stadium closed along with stuff i collected over the years. My favourite item is one of the blinds from the box office window with the old 1930's Art Deco crest on it. I also have a couple of small signs from inside the stadium as well as an executive leather seat from the west stand with the cannon embossed in it. Here's a few pics from the landing in my house,they're from a phone camera so quality isn't great but you'll get the idea.:)

DSC00077.jpg

DSC00059.jpg

DSC00055.jpg

DSC00061.jpg

DSC00058.jpg

OMG ..... you remind me of my mate Barry !
    He even had his house re-named to "Highbury way" ... hehe !

Great collection ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

OMG ..... you remind me of my mate Barry !
    He even had his house re-named to "Highbury way" ... hehe !

Now there's an idea!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

I used to collect callcards and stamps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I collect original animation and comic art. I have a few drawings from the cartoon "The Iron Giant" Originally they are drawn onto paper, copied onto plastic, then painted and copied again. This final copy are the frames (24 per sec) ya see on screen. I also have a hand painted production cel (The one that is finally photographed from the Batman Animated series from the 90s.

I also collect drawings from comic artists. I have a few from an artist called Bruce Timm and one from an artist called Alex Ross

I have one from Steve Dillon..he used to drink in a pub my friend worked in.
    He drew me a Judge Dredd with a "to derek,cheers" on it.

Another of my passions which I have recently returned to after a thirty year gap is birdwatching and consequently I have been rebuilding my library. Apart from restocking with some of the more useful titles that I had when an active birdwatcher, I have set out to build up a set of all the standard works on Irish birds; this is proving quite difficult and expensive!
    The first standard work on Irish birds was written by William Thompson and published as far back as 1849 (!) and it's a magnificent 4 volume set (the fourth volume being published posthumously in 1853), and I have so far managed to buy Vols.1&2 for £400.00. A Dublin dealer is currently offering the full set for €1,000 ! Next up is the The Natural History of the Birds of Ireland by John Watters - a single volume published in 1852 and using much material sourced from Thompson's work - my copy was picked up on eBay for £50. To complete the 19th century trilogy the little known Our Irish Songbirds by the Rev.C.W.Benson is a must. My copy is a 1901 2nd edition, the original having been published in 1886, and was purchased from Oxfam UK for about £50. In my pic I have included a copy of a Kessinger Publishing (USA) 2008 POD reprint - purchased for £20 purely to see just how bad a job had been done and the message is don't buy this or any other Kessinger publication - truly dreadful on every count. Incidentally, Kessinger is a byword for thinly veiled copyright theft.
    Moving to the 20th century the most famous work is the Ussher and Warren Birds of Ireland (1900) and now very difficult to find - my copy is from a school library - say no more. Packed with fascinating information it is a must have for any serious Irish ornithologist. An interesting and extremely rare booklet is Birds of Ireland Month by Month (1928) by Rev.P.G.Kennedy - I purchased my copy from a US dealer and have never seen another copy. The next standard work is the highly acclaimed The Birds of Ireland (1954) by Kennedy, Ruttledge & Scroope and it is rarely found in such good condition as my one which has an almost perfect dustwrapper - £75 from a UK dealer. Another rare title published the previous year is An Irish Sanctuary: birds of the North Bull (1953) by P.G.Kennedy and is virtually unobtainable - especially with a dustwrapper. Ireland's Birds: their Distributions & Migrations (1966) by R.F.Ruttledge is the last major work standard work on Irish birds and is another must for serious birdwatchers. A Guide to Irish Birds (1967) by Christopher Moriarty (not illustrated) is a modest paperback along the same lines as Ruttledge's 1966 work. Needless to say I didn't even know of most of the earlier titles despite being a serious birdwatcher for ten years or so. Sorry to have rambled on for so long but anybody wanting further links, info etc can PM me.
    birds002.jpg
    birds003.jpg

I forgot to mention in my previous post this book: The Migration of Birds as observed at Irish Lighthouses and Light-ships (1900) by Richard Manliffe Barrington. This is a monumental work running to 667 pages and based on extensive research in the late 1890's - one can only imagine the difficulty in compiling such information in the pre-telephone/helicopter/computer/internet era. Only 350 copies were printed and many are reported to have been put to 'other' uses by lighthouse keepers! The very occasional copy pops up at auction - about once every decade - and some years ago Mealy's in Castlecomer sold a copy for several thousand Euros. The good news is that a high quality reprint is being worked on and may even appear this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

Hello Danco, glad you're find the thread interesting - sadly I have never come across any models of Irish phoneboxes.

I am thinking of suggesting to An Post about producing miniatures of post boxes and if I get round to it will also mention miniature phoneboxes.

In the last year, Ive found 2 models. Ok the first one is very small and only available in tourist shops. Its about 2 euros and made of pottery. Its a very good Telefon box with a leprechaun standing next to it! but it looks a good representation of the box. The 2nd one I saw for sale in Erin stores in Cork.
    Unfortunately the colour was completely wrong, it was all over green and is actually a phone within a box. It was 80 euros I think. Its a large plastic phonebox shaped like the lrish box, says Telefon on the top four panels and has an actual working dialphone within.

Hopefully there will be better miniature versions out there. And yes, its very true that there are hardly any of the original timber framed phoneboxes outthere. There is one in the carpark of Bunratty carpark but it is in very bad condition.

Advertisement