Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDD/DVD Recorder with Saorview STB?

• 04-01-2011 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

I've had an LG RH7500 HDD/DVD since 2007 and I'm considering getting the Saorview Walker STB. Before I drop money on this, would I be able to record at all off the STB? I don't need to be able to watch another channel while it records.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

redalicat wrote: »
    I've had an LG RH7500 HDD/DVD since 2007 and I'm considering getting the Saorview Walker STB. Before I drop money on this, would I be able to record at all off the STB? I don't need to be able to watch another channel while it records.

I would imagine if you link the two via scart, set the appropriate input on the hdd and then set timers on the two to coincide, then recording should be possible.
    I am buying the Metronic Zapbox Freeview HD T2, and will be linking it to my old Pioneer DVR 5100H, to do the same thing for Saorview. Essentially the same as you are looking to do.
    I used this method with my FTA satellite box and Freesat box for ages. I now have a Humax Freesat HDR for British tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you want to record get a proper PVR. External DVD recorders are poor qualitity in comparison and can't do HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

While the Walkers have USB they dont seem to record to usb ootb. So pretty useless for the price. As excolier said you can record pretty much anything via scart so long as it hasnt copy protection/macrovision. Dont know if that is going to be commonplace on DTT.

Proper PVRs are fine (and expensive) in principle but a pain when you want to archive, edit or transfer recordings. You are generally left with the time laborious task of copying to external pvr again.

Exernal usb recording is handy for this purpose, you can easily transfer to pc from usb/sd card. I find fast 16Gb SD cards effective.

The only major issue might be the file format. GOM player handles many of the formats that VLC wont play.

Re external PVRs
    TBH there is a little too much emphasis on TV picture quality and less on content, whereas for the youtube/mp3 generation neither is really an issue (quite ironic really)
    For a lot of rubbish stuff I just want to hoard and probably never rewatch, I find an external pvr with mpeg recording handy for its simplicity, ease and speed of editing, relative compactness. If this was possible cheaply and easily with mpeg4, I'd probably go down that route, but it's much more of a gamble with audio sync-ing and multiple format variations.
    For quallity, I find mpeg2 editing is still easier to play with.
    I am sure as time goes on this will improve.

I expect HDD PVRs with BD writers will become more common. You can't sensibly use a DVD for MPEG4 or HDTV. Panasonic :( do one for "Freesat HD" or "Freeview HD", I forget which.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

They could transcode down in quality.

• Advertisement

Only with a dedicated DSP chip and I for one am totally un-interested in crappy transcoded MPEG. S-VHS looks better.

The biggest value of Analogue to Digital switch-over is finally to have Irish TV recordings at live quality, as we have had for UK TV for years.

As it is, only good MPEG SD broadcast of 16:9 only just matches quality of good Analogue with good 4:3 source material.

Should we have poorer picture quality in 21st Century than 20th Century on recordings? I never could watch LP VHS and went to S-VHS as soon as was economical.

I've had PC based Satellite recording since the first PCI tuner card with built-in DSP decoder and TV out was released.

The whole point of Digital PVRs is to have NO re-encoding or transcoding
    . Clicking on a EPG item to automatically schedule it is a close 2nd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

excollier wrote: »
    I would imagine if you link the two via scart, set the appropriate input on the hdd and then set timers on the two to coincide, then recording should be possible.
    I am buying the Metronic Zapbox Freeview HD T2, and will be linking it to my old Pioneer DVR 5100H, to do the same thing for Saorview. Essentially the same as you are looking to do.
    I used this method with my FTA satellite box and Freesat box for ages. I now have a Humax Freesat HDR for British tv.

Sounds good, pop back in once you have it and let us know if it worked ok.

Thanks, all. Hoping to have the extra dosh soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

See this.... add hard drive another €50. This will record DTT.
    http://www.homecine-compare.com/lecteur-AKIDHBB36HR-AKIRA-DHB-B36HR.htm

watty wrote: »
    The biggest value of Analogue to Digital switch-over is finally to have Irish TV recordings at live quality, as we have had for UK TV for years.....

Whats live quality? The res it was recorded at?

We're kinda constrained by whats broadcast. If you not watching it at its recorded resolution, its either been transcoded/compressed for broadcast, or same thing when SD is upscaled to a HD TV.

I thought I'd escape the horror of trans-coding by watching analog on my CRT. At least unlike HD became standard. But unfortunately UPC now are frequently using their transcoded/compressed digital feed for analog. They even keep the broadcast compression cliches/artifacts. Some movies have been unwatchable due to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

I would presume that what watty meant by live was "as broadcast" quality. Any digital-based recorder is transferring the digital stream as broadcast to hard disk or USB stick or whatever. VHS video is and was always a reduction in analogue broadcast quality.

Any analogue input recorder reduces the quality. True digital recording simply copies the transmission. Play back is same is live signal.
    • VHS LP = awful
    • Bought VHS = poor to miserable (because has to be copied rather than pressed like CD/DVD/laser disc/LP)
    • VHS = watchable to poor depending on tape and VCR
    • S-VHS = bearable with good tape and machine. Especially B&W (colour registration and quality poorer).
    • DVD/HDD Analogue input Recorder. Only better than S-VHS at HQ setting. DVD recorder with "Firewire in" good for creating DVD from DV tape though as no analogue conversion.

I was just making the point that sometimes useful compromises are made for convenience, or to keep something affordable. The expense and practicality of full HD for recording will rule it out for many until the price of entry falls. Maybe that will be sooner rather than later.

I agree with you that a lot of enjoyment is lost by the obsession of quantity over quality. For me even a DVD loses a lot if watched as heavy compressed MPEG.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Anchises

See this.... add hard drive another €50. This will record DTT.
    http://www.homecine-compare.com/lect...-DHB-B36HR.htm

This site seems to ship to domestic customers only...all in French..
    It advertises P+P gratuit (Free?)
    Do you know if it would ship to IRL ?

Also I see no ref to MHEG5 (subtitle dimension) ?

A.

France is MHP. Probably doesn't do MHEG5
    A UK "Freeview HD" PVR or "Freeview+ HD" PVR is likely a better idea than French stuff.

We should keep eye out on N.Z., Australia and South Africa Markets too as they are all MPEG4 + MHEG5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

No they dont do MHEG5 which will primarily be used for text. Is it important, thats what you have to decide.

Is it more important than PVR and MKV media playing via USB for €59.

You will not get a box with PVR and MKV AVI playing for that price in Freeview HD products.

And the NZ products! Have a look at their prices and you will see the difference. They are being ripped.

redalicat wrote: »

The recorder died this weekend, can't get my recordings off the thing, and of course it happens the month I'm skint. :mad:

Anyway, I know a PVR is my next step, but do those have the MPEG4 tuners, etc. needed for Saorview, or am I looking at buying a STB and a separate PVR? (Still have a CRT TV, unless it decides to die this month, too:rolleyes:) Suggestions appreciated so I know what I'm saving up for.

A Set-box with integral PVR.

Standalone PVR is lower quality and can't do HD.

Built in DVD recording also is unlikely on Set-box as a DVD with HD on it won't playback on a DVD player. If Direct recording is used (best quality) then the SD programes would be MPEG4. The DVD standard doesn't include MPEG4. Most so called MPEG4 playback DVD players won't play H.264 at all. It's DivX / H.263 SD MPEG4.

So most "Freeview HD" PVRs use HDD (hard Disk drive) There are no 100% compatible Saorview PVRs yet, a "Freeview HD" PVR (HDR) has best compatibility. There are a couple of models with built in BluRay recorder/Player. More and some Saorview versions likely over next year.

All "decent" HD PVRs and Set-boxes down convert HD to SD on the SCART for non-HDTV sets. It's mandatory for "Freeview HD", "Freesat HD" and Saorview. I don't think you will find a standalone BluRay player without HD Digital tuner that has a SCART at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭johnnylancer

Just bought Walker STB and works well with Panasonic DVD recorder via scart.Quality of recordings very good.
    The Walker STB has an USB socket and the remote control has a record button.Do you think this will be activated so that I could record to a HDD drive?.A 500 GB HDD on sale at Harvey Norman for €49

• Registered Users Posts: 47 prf

will your walker box turn on from standby to record to your recorder.my walker had to be left fully powered on (despite having set the timer) to record.never got to solve the problem and gave up on it.i think the walker is poor value as it cannot record to an external hdd.let me know how yours is doing as i am considering returning to shop.

• Advertisement

It's not poor value because it can't record. It's poor value because it's €99 and not €65

watty wrote: »
    A Set-box with integral PVR.

Standalone PVR is lower quality and can't do HD.

Built in DVD recording also is unlikely on Set-box as a DVD with HD on it won't playback on a DVD player. If Direct recording is used (best quality) then the SD programes would be MPEG4. The DVD standard doesn't include MPEG4. Most so called MPEG4 playback DVD players won't play H.264 at all. It's DivX / H.263 SD MPEG4.

So most "Freeview HD" PVRs use HDD (hard Disk drive) There are no 100% compatible Saorview PVRs yet, a "Freeview HD" PVR (HDR) has best compatibility. There are a couple of models with built in BluRay recorder/Player. More and some Saorview versions likely over next year.

All "decent" HD PVRs and Set-boxes down convert HD to SD on the SCART for non-HDTV sets. It's mandatory for "Freeview HD", "Freesat HD" and Saorview. I don't think you will find a standalone BluRay player without HD Digital tuner that has a SCART at all.

Thanks, Watty. The DVD part of it isn't necessary for me as I already had a DVD player before I got the LG; I wanted the recorder for the HD. My usage is pretty much recording TV programmes to watch at a more opportune time as I have a crazy schedule. Good to know about the BluRay, though.

I guess I should add that I'd want to record off of my old Sky box (using it as a Freesat receiver). The LG was able to do this (2 scarts, one in, one out), but do PVRs just usually have only one scart? I'm looking at the Humax HDR-Fox T2 http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/products/product_stb_terrestrial_hdrfoxt2.aspx and it's only got one scart to the TV...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭johnnylancer

Just bought Walker STB and works well with Panasonic DVD recorder via scart.Quality of recordings very good.
    The Walker STB has an USB socket and the remote control has a record button.Do you think this will be activated so that I could record to a HDD drive?.A 500 GB HDD on sale at Harvey Norman for €49[/QUOTE
    Will not record from standby. Needs to be switched on.
    Agree with Watty on value but even Bush equivelant in UK would cost €80 delivered.Would prefer to buy locally as if unit becomes faulty it is easily returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

I use my Walker STB with a Sony DVD recorder over scart too and I can control the box using the Sony's Guide+ settings and the G-link cable looks after the channel changes.

It turns out that the Guide+ settings for a Grundig cable box are the same as the Walker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Hi everyone just need a little bit of advice :)

I have a Saorview TV and I also have a Pioneer DVD player with a hard-drive which I use for recording TV. The problem I have is: Next wednesday with the changeover my DVD recorder will not record the Irish channels (as I receive a warning message and the 24 October logo on the bottom of the screen).

When I lost the English channels, I started using the Sky that was in the house although I don't have sky so I just have the free to air channels.

I enquired in a shop a few months ago about recording and I was told that I could get a Saorview box and there would be no problem. I went to the shop today to buy a Saorview box only to realise that the wires that go to my recorder are going into the Sky box so using a Saorview box would not be any good to me. So ... I bought a Telestar Free to air box and I was told that this will work fine. Does anyone know if this will? I havn't connected it yet just to be sure. Also will I be able to record as usual with my recorder i.e. will I be able to set a programme to record at 8.00 on say RTE1 and 10.00 on TV3 - will the recorder change as it does now?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks in advance for any advice!l

Advertisement