Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Keep an eye out for a set of 2nd hand sport springs and have at it. You know it makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Augeo wrote: »
    The m sport X drives are quite eye catching imo....at a glance you know they're xdrive due to the slightly higher stance :cool:

New G20 x-drives will have the lowered suspension, at least according to the "reveal' I went to last night.

Not sure if it's a no-cost option to de-spec it.

G20 is a big step forward on the interior over the F30 imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

On the flip side, a good set of coilovers or shock and spring setup can be just as good if not better than a lot of OEM suspension. The likes of Bilstein shocks or their PS coilovers are excellent along with Ohlins for high end coilovers. I'd be going at least BC's anyway when it comes to coilovers, they're excellent value and the ride is very good on them too. Most that have been in my car didn't realise it was on coilovers until I said it to them.

And also, in my opinion, most cars do look better lowered, not mad amounts but a subtle enough drop.

Don't understand me wrong. On a car like yours, putting a new suspension setup makes sense. Its older car with older technology and companies did found a way to improve it over the years. Its fair enough.
    I am just not a fan of whole lowering. Its basically making car worse and costing you money. Its just my opinion. And if someone still wants to do it, then more power to them, its their car.
    The thing is wheb you ask opinion, you will hear it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You’re just lowering a car that was raised in the first place. No big deal surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

vintagevrs wrote: »
    I have been thinking about lowering my car a lot recently...

Part of me says I'll be paying money, to make the car ride worse, potentially lose my front lip some day as well as other possible unknown drive train issues so don't bother, but then the other part of me says this is a must :)

rm6.staticflickr.com/5627/22280352796_0477dc0c9a_b.jpg[/IMG]

I think it will look a bit better but maybe drive alot worse. I would make the call on depending on the roads and speed bumps you drive over daily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭JoeA3

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Interesting that most are against it. Not that I disagree but thought more would be on for it. I'll leave it alone so, for the mean time :)

Ok I’ll vote for it!

I think you should. From browsing on the U.K. beemer forums the last year, it seems almost a matter of course that anyone with an xDrive lowers it, the common comment I see is - “it should come from the factory like this”.
    I think the generally preferred springs are by “ACS”.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Don't understand me wrong. On a car like yours, putting a new suspension setup makes sense. Its older car with older technology and companies did found a way to improve it over the years. Its fair enough.
    I am just not a fan of whole lowering. Its basically making car worse and costing you money. Its just my opinion. And if someone still wants to do it, then more power to them, its their car.
    The thing is wheb you ask opinion, you will hear it. :)

Just because a car is newer doesn't mean an aftermarket company will make the handling of the car worse. Companies like Bilstein, one of the best manufacturers of aftermarket shocks go to extensive lengths to ensure they're equal if not better. I have driven a Mk7 GTi before and after it got fitted with Bilsteins, the car handled way better in the corners and a comfort difference was unnoticeable. I wouldn't be quick to dismiss aftermarket components because "Manufacturers" know best when we all know, a lot of time they don't.

Lowering doesn't always equal worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Was watching the RX8 Rotary Engine rebuild videos on Car Throttles Youtube channel. Them RX8 Rotary engines are so impressive when stripped down great piece of engineering even seeing the apex seals being fitted was class. I would love to own an RX8 just for the engine being such a unique set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

CIP4 wrote: »
    Was watching the RX8 Rotary Engine rebuild videos on Car Throttles Youtube channel. Them RX8 Rotary engines are so impressive when stripped down great piece of engineering even seeing the apex seals being fitted was class. I would love to own an RX8 just for the engine being such a unique set up.

I'd take the RX7 over the RX8 myself, much nicer looking car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭carsfan2

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Ok I’ll vote for it!

I think you should. From browsing on the U.K. beemer forums the last year, it seems almost a matter of course that anyone with an xDrive lowers it, the common comment I see is - “it should come from the factory like this”.

The x drive f30/31 3 series come with standard se suspension even in m sport trim. Apparently they roll a lot and as joe says the AC schnitzer suspension components appear to be the ones to go for. You won’t get your money back but they are supposed to transform the ride and handling and if you’re keeping the car long term go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You’d most likely get to see the inside of the engine anyway if you owned one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

carsfan2 wrote: »
    JoeA3 wrote: »
    Ok I’ll vote for it!

The x drive f30/31 3 series come with standard se suspension even in m sport trim. Apparently they roll a lot and as joe says the AC schnitzer suspension components appear to be the ones to go for. You won’t get your money back but they are supposed to transform the ride and handling and if you’re keeping the car long term go for it.
    Yes I've heard this as well, they're meant to drive way better with aftermarket suspension.

No experience of them though.

The latest cars get the same suspension for RWD and 4WD so if you get an xDrive M Sport you'll get lower suspension just like a rear wheel drive model.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

This trend with YouTubers now picking up cars and then documenting them getting ceramic coated and then paint protection film and cleaned again etc is ****e.

That shmee fella recently picked up a ford GT and then a Senna from McLaren. Think he has documented the Senna getting picked up 4 times now. When it arrived, then when it was ready from some detailing shop, then when it was registered etc. It's cringe. Worse that I actually spent some time watching this ****e. He's cruising through some village in England in his Senna talking about how it's a dream come true, but never seems to drive these cars at all. He likes lining them all up and recording "content".

Anyway. I agree on the car throttle stuff, I enjoyed watching the guys strip and rebuild that rotary engine. Interesting how they adjust the timing on those motors. Much rather that stuff than prancing around in these million quid cars that never get driven.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Haha I’ve been watching some of Schmee’s videos recently too. What’s the deal with him, what’s his background? He must have more cash than a Saudi prince, considering his incredible collection, but how?! He spends an awful lot of time making YouTube videos!
    His latest video has him in one of his more mundane vehicles - a Focus RS... but again, he’s just driving it down the road to get polished, while wearing a Ford motorsport jacket. it’s all a little bit Alan Partridge cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Could never like that lad. Give me a Hoovies Garage any day.

Driving home from work this evening was stuck behind a lad in a 191 Arteon for ages crawling doing 60kmh in 100kmh zones and then was leaving massive spaces with cars in front and slowing way down way in advance of roundabouts seemed to be being extra careful. Eventually passed him and he didn’t look that particularly old probably 40s.

Maybe he is just a slow driver or else if he was going slow to mind the car as it was new I don’t get that at all. Fair enough I have never had a brand new car but still when getting a new car would never drive it slow to ‘mind’ it or wouldn’t understand why anyone would.

Could be letting engine "bed in" or something....sounds extreme though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Driving home from work this evening was stuck behind a lad in a 191 Arteon for ages crawling doing 60kmh in 100kmh zones and then was leaving massive spaces with cars in front and slowing way down way in advance of roundabouts seemed to be being extra careful. Eventually passed him and he didn’t look that particularly old probably 40s.

Maybe he is just a slow driver or else if he was going slow to mind the car as it was new I don’t get that at all. Fair enough I have never had a brand new car but still when getting a new car would never drive it slow to ‘mind’ it or wouldn’t understand why anyone would.

I see a lot of 191 driver's driving like this! He will have a thread on here next year about his blocked DPF filter...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Truckermal wrote: »
    I see a lot of 191 driver's driving like this! He will have a thread on here next year about his blocked DPF filter...:p

Different experience for me. A lad in 191 pug 3008 flew pass me on motorway. I think he never heard about bed un concept. :D

Different experience for me. A lad in 191 pug 3008 flew pass me on motorway. I think he never heard about bed un concept. :D

The way it should be drive it on :) ah engines are run in, In the factory these days once you are not completely dogging it, it’s fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

OSI wrote: »
    Following up on this. Apparently the delay on her car is somewhat more incompetent than originally envisaged, supposedly a batch of the Hyundai EVs were delivered with the wrong cable :rolleyes:

This is somewhat true....they're being delivered WITHOUT the charging cable

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Speaking of YouTube people, I've had a bit of time the last few days, I think I've nearly clocked YouTube now, it's got me wondering though why so many people like Bob Flavin? He is shocking, I can't understand how manufacturers lend him cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,213 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Speaking of YouTube people, I've had a bit of time the last few days, I think I've nearly clocked YouTube now, it's got me wondering though why so many people like Bob Flavin? He is shocking, I can't understand how manufacturers lend him cars.
    He is the worst "professional" reviewer of cars online.
    I think people watch him as there is a dearth of Irish produced content, I know I watch him specifically for EV reviews and for the video he did on the high mile octavia.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭Old diesel

They lend him cars because he has an audience.

Like or hate him - the reality in the modern era - if you are a manufacturer your new car is more likely to be seen with Bob on you tube then someone on print media like Declan Colley of the Irish Examiner.

That's why imo he gets cars.

It's not like they are giving him the cars without knowing who exactly he is at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭Old diesel

On the wider YouTube thing......

I like Ian Seabrook on Hubnut for the random cars he either owns or borrows for his videos.

Irish car reviews on a wider level - you might slag off Bob Flavin but he's actually not the worst of them as Irish car reviews are quite poor imo.

Things like saying Mazdas are good cars while those running fleets in the field like ROR on here are saying run - run away from the Mazda.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Although his voice is quite annoying and he does take a bit of getting used to, I watch a lot of Doug DeMuro videos on YT.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

Doug, Harrys garage and Car wow are the 3 i'd watch mostly.

Doug is brilliant and showing you the little quirks that others won't even notice, plus his enthusiasm is genuine.

Harry is just brilliant, i love that old money vibe of i'm loaded i can reference it a lot but it never comes across as crass, plus his enthusiams is also very genuine - his combine harvester video is as good as any of his videos lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Just watched Flavins review of the Mondeo Vignale hybrid and it was the sloppiest thing I've seen in a long time. There's no enthusiast or spark, just loads of ultra generic "I was expecting better" comments. Sure, the car is flawed by the "review" is shameful.

DeMuro I absolutely love. I went through a phase of thinking he was an obnoxious, rich guy but his reviews are down to earth, blue collar (despite his wealth) you can't help but enjoy them. Even when he reviews pure rubbish like the Mitsubishi Colt, you can really feel how he enjoys and appreciates the cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I like Carwow, used to like Car Throttle a lot but less so now (although the last 2 videos on the Rotary engine rebuilds have been great).

I watch Bob sometimes just to see but I certainly wouldnt buy or not buy a car based on him any bit (not that I would anyway I guess).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

tossy wrote: »
    Doug is brilliant and showing you the little quirks that others won't even notice, plus his enthusiasm is genuine.

"I'm going to review this car's quirks and features and then give it a Doug Score" :D

Someone commented on one of the videos - Doug, the kind of guy who meets a girl in a bar, checks out her quirks and features then gives her a Doug Score :D:D

What I like most about his reviews is the way he goes into the tony details of what's available in the car like how there's a storage area here or how the rear arm rest has cup holders. Dunno why but it's those things you don't get from a normal car review.

He is wealthy but he has admitted that he buys cars (like his Ford GT) using bank loans. Fair play to him no matter how he has made his money.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement