Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strokestown **Mod Note in Post #4461**

• 16-12-2018 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=521998308280272&id=433698377110266

Context. KBC are trying to evict people from a property in Strokestown. On Tuesday a gang of people from north of the border who identify as British moved in on the property, assaulting people ( there are videos floating about online about this). Last night a large group of people seemingly took the property back, 2 dogs are dead and several northern registered vans have been burnt out.

Several questions. Main one is what on earth were KBC thinking going down this road? Have they no idea of the historical context of doing this? Second question is how this is going to be framed by the national media.
    Post edited by JupiterKid on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Don't pay your mortgage, you lose your house. Is that too simplistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

How long has it taken to get to this point?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Effects wrote: »

Indeed, however the optics of using that method of eviction are horrific to say the least and it has seemingly inspired some sort of a destructive reaction that really helps nobody here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Historical context? Oh, for goodness sake. Do you want non-eviction zones around the country decided by historical events? Mortgage not paid, all avenues exhausted so what do they expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

They didn't pay their mortgage, tough ****.

• Advertisement

Historical context? Oh, for goodness sake. Do you want non-eviction zones around the country decided by historical events? Mortgage not paid, all avenues exhausted so what do they expect?

Perhaps not bringing in lads dressed all in black from Northern Ireland who seemingly assaulted a retired Garda?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

But getting the likes of that to come into our country to force people out? They should have been chopped up the minute they came near the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

A loyalist eviction squad has been evicted in Roscommon! :D The comments on the video has been quite supportive of the raid, this is maybe a turning point in the eviction war.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

P_1 wrote: »
    Perhaps not bringing in lads dressed all in black from Northern Ireland who seemingly assaulted a retired Garda?

You want to try do it with a woman dressed in a business suit maybe? How would she have fared during this retaliation attack?

Evictions can be dangerous and it's completely understandable that property owners would use a few burly security men to secure their property.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

This is farm land, bidx1 (formally allsop) will sell your mother's wedding ring but recently had to end all involvement with the sale of repossessed Farm land

Farmers have zero regard for the law when it comes to banks trying to enforce debts on land, I was raised on a farm BTW

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'd be more concerned about the vigilante anti eviction thugs who burned out cars and disregarded the rule of law.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

klaaaz wrote: »
    A loyalist eviction squad has been evicted in Roscommon! :D The comments on the video has been quite supportive of the raid, this is maybe a turning point in the eviction war.

A turning point in the "eviction war" would be if the mortgage payers who pay their own way and also those of defaulters, got a break .

Is there any more background to the story?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I'd be more concerned about the vigilante anti eviction thugs who burned out cars and disregarded the rule of law.

Yeah, caused the death of a dog also.

Complete thugs. We have courts for a reason, you can't just pick and choose when you want to listen to them and then go assaulting people, burning cars and harming animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Gobschites.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    This is farm land, bidx1 (formally allsop) will sell your mother's wedding ring but recently had to end all involvement with the sale of repossessed Farm land.
    Farmers have zero regard for the law when it comes to banks trying to enforce debts on land, I was raised on a farm BTW.

So it wasn't the house, but the land that money was owed on?

Amirani wrote: »
    You want to try do it with a woman dressed in a business suit maybe? How would she have fared during this retaliation attack?

Evictions can be dangerous and it's completely understandable that property owners would use a few burly security men to secure their property.

Eh? From the link:
    the family who are third-generation on the home farm, consisting of two elderly men (brothers) and their sister

• Registered Users Posts: 8,618 ✭✭✭corks finest

Irrespective of how long etc,these idiots need to spoken to,lots of them aligned to loyalist scum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I just read the story. So the 70 lads who turned up to turf out the security guards completely wasted their time, and are wanted now for assault and arson.

Where were they when the family needed to pay their mortgage? Could they have all chipped in a 1k each towards the outstanding amount? No, too easy. Let's attack some security guards and burn their vans. Idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

So its ok for people who dont have Irish Security Licences to come down to Roscommon and assault elderly people.

I dont feel sorry for hired thugs.

• Advertisement

As would I. However what do you think inspired that proto nationalist reaction? I get it, the bank has a debt that needs to be enforced but the manner in which they have gone about it is braindead ro put it mildly. Surely somebody there would have copped that this would have acted like a red rag to a bull to the people who went vigilante last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

I dont think the loyalists would like it if Fenians went up North to evict them out of their properties.

I would say there would be violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭HamSarris

As would I. However what do you think inspired that proto nationalist reaction? I get it, the bank has a debt that needs to be enforced but the manner in which they have gone about it is braindead ro put it mildly. Surely somebody there would have copped that this would have acted like a red rag to a bull to the people who went vigilante last night?

They need to raise the banker salary cap to attract people with IQs above 70

Whatever happened before, those lads pretty much ensured there is no way back now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

pablo128 wrote: »
    Whatever happened before, those lads pretty much ensured there is no way back now.

Doesn't matter. That filth has no place here and a line needed to be drawn regardless of any of her back story.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

I would say there isn't many security firms in the republic who would go near farmland repossessions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Amirani wrote: »
    You want to try do it with a woman dressed in a business suit maybe?.
    Not that they indicated that :) but while tough measures are needed, why from northern Ireland and not the republic? Seeing as it is the republic. I think that's what they mean by the historical context bit, and they're right, dumb-ass move by KBC.

Otherwise though, people don't get evicted unless they are really taking the piss, and it's the very last resort following years of notifications.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Doesn't matter. That filth has no place here and a line needed to be drawn regardless of any of her back story.

If the security lads were from Cavan or Leitrim, the same thing would have happened, but with a different excuse.

We both know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Whatever bright spark in KBC thought this was the route to go down involving security from over the border to evict must be incredibly stupid. This retaliation was bound to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭corner of hells

The Irish Army needs to be deployed with conscription to 25000 soldiers when a UI happens.

Bit if leap there , from an eviction to a united Ireland with a conscription if 25000 soldiers in a couple of posts.

Advertisement