Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RSA ad on unaccompanied L drivers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Anyone from that era would be at least 55/56 years old now.

And still sh1te driving.

Sure I see a hell of a lot of N plates being driven like absolute plonkers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

emeldc wrote: »
    There’s shed loads of experienced drivers out there that shouldn’t even be let out in a car after dark!
    You’re spouting some amount of nonsense TBH.

That's always the thickest argument in all this.

"There's loads of bad drivers so let loads of new inexperienced drivers out too, because!!!!"

Rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ Parker Clever Sextant

And still sh1te driving.

Sure I see a hell of a lot of N plates being driven like absolute plonkers.

Spot on,

Those who received licenses from the amnesty will be on the road for many years yet.

The N plates are the only ones you see, imagine the ones who aren’t displaying L/N plates. Very common.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,815 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

road_high wrote:
    Yes in so much as was in the media. An accident can happen even the most experienced of drivers, pretty hard to pin blame solely on that aspect.

But MUCH more likely to be caused by an inexperienced driver.

The Gardai did a full investigation. There would have been a coroners report. Do you honestly believe that you know what did or didn't contribute to the accident and the professionals investigating got it wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'll give you all a good one.

I witnessed a delivery van from ready chef driven at speed the wrong way down George's Street in town. He overtook 3 buses and a car in the 3 rd lane which is the opposite side and through a red light pedestrian crossing with people crossing.

I reported it.

But as it was my word against his the guard would be unable to prosecute.

Bit of a strange one to be honest as the footage in my vehicle showed him overtaking.

Oh well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Spot on,

Those who received licenses from the amnesty will be on the road for many years yet.

My elderly female neighbour has a HGV licence for god sake.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

anyone got a link to the add in question

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Victor wrote: »
    Killing someone's family is also in poor taste/tone.

I did a 3-day first aid course and was taught the basics of first aid. If I try to do CPR on someone, but they die anyway, I won't be held accountable. However, if I try to do brain surgery, which I'm not trained for and they die, well, I was acting far beyond my training and would be negligent to have tried brain surgery at all. I would be held accountable.

Similarly, learner drivers are required to be accompanied by trained drivers. If they aren't accompanied, they are acting beyond their training and need to be held accountable.

She was held accountable and she has been punished. This is further punishment. How much punishment is enough. My heart goes out to the bereaved man but this vengeance is not going to bring his family back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ Parker Clever Sextant

UrbanFret wrote: »
    My elderly female neighbour has a HGV licence for god sake.:eek:

Does she know there’s a hgv driver shortage? Better get her signed up :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

and they very controversial question did he leave any of his children drive unaccompanied?

Could you expand on this please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

lbc2019 wrote: »
    What nonsense? Ah shure youll be grand had our road fatalities at the numbers they were
    37 years ago when I was 21, I had already passed bikes, cars and HGV tests. No amount of licenses or experience could have prevented a girl walking out in front of my car on Baggot St one day. She landed on the roof, thankfully just badly bruised. In spite of what you say, accidents do just happen.
    My fear for the learner driver in this case is that if they keep vilifying her in the media they might push her into doing something more stupid than driving unaccompanied. She’s been given her punishment. They need to leave her alone. There isn’t one of us here that hasn’t driven unaccompanied.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

splinter65 wrote: »
    She was held accountable and she has been punished. This is further punishment. How much punishment is enough. My heart goes out to the bereaved man but this vengeance is not going to bring his family back.

If this ad like t he drunk driver ad stops one person it's good imo

The drunk driver was jailed for 7.5 years, she was banned for 15

Shame the ads don't mention that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,940 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Stheno wrote: »
    If she had not caused them to go off the road perhaps they might still be alive?

She admitted in court to driving dangerously and causing the collision

I didn't know this as it's not mentioned in the ad.
    I'm not going to comment further because I feel it's a really sensitive topic.
    Rest in peace mum and daughter.

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

37 years ago when I was 21, I had already passed bikes, cars and HGV tests. No amount of licenses or experience could have prevented a girl walking out in front of my car on Baggot St one day. She landed on the roof, thankfully just badly bruised. In spite of what you say, accidents do just happen.
    My fear for the learner driver in this case is that if they keep vilifying her in the media they might push her into doing something more stupid than driving unaccompanied. She’s been given her punishment. They need to leave her alone. There isn’t one of us here that hasn’t driven unaccompanied.

No the pedestrian was at fault for crossing where she shouldnt be and you are required to be mindful of pedestrians

• Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭gctest50

Sleeper12 wrote: »

But MUCH more likely to be caused by an inexperienced driver.

Maybe if they fixed up the roads and barriers n stuff instead of wasting money on flowers on roundabouts and other crap that pair wouldn't have drowned :

( I'm presuming there is a car sized gap in the wall because someone else went through it previously )

Sgt McNamara said that there had been a gap in the wall for many years.

In the collision, the Clancys’ car flipped over and went through this gap, down an embankment, and into a flooded trench not much wider than the car, thereby wedging the car in the drain, which was flooded to a height of 82 centimetres

The RSA are probably a bit butthurt because it didn't involve excess speed or mobile phone use by a young person

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

Learners aren’t the main problem, there are plenty of full license drivers out there who have below-par driving ability.

I’ve been involved in numerous crashes, I’ve had an elderly woman reverse full whack into the front of my car, I’ve had an elderly man smash into the side of my car as I was pulling out of an industrial estate (he was driving with no lights on... at night... in a black f*cking car..) and I’ve had two separate occasions where fully qualified drivers have driven down the wrong way on a one way street and cause an incident to my car and my friends car (occasion 1 they were looking for parking, occasion 2 they were texting and driving)

Rather than starting a witch hunt and proclaiming learner drivers to be the worst ever and I’m sorry but the majority of people have driven on a provisional by themselves, I don’t have stats to back that up other than anecdotal experiences but it’s a lax law(until recently) we need to heavily invest in training and proper driving procedures.

I’m a full license driver, I didn’t do motorway driving as part of my test. Why? Why is this not included? Motorways are such a core representative of the users of the road so why is there no modules/practical modules?

A friend of mine has her full license 3 years, she does not do more than 60km/h on a motorway. That is ridiculous and dangerous, she does not do more than this because she’s not a confident driver. Yet she’s “fully qualified”? Makes no sense.

I’d love to see an overhaul of our driving infrastructure and education platforms and tbh, get rid of the “theory” or “learner permit”. Do it all in one, you sit a theory the morning and do a practical after you’ve received lessons that can be verified by a nominated instructor, if you pass? Great!! If you don’t? Try again.

Stheno wrote: »
    If this ad like t he drunk driver ad stops one person it's good imo

The drunk driver was jailed for 7.5 years, she was banned for 15

Shame the ads don't mention that

He got it reduced on appeal because he wrote a letter of apology to the family. They said they never received it. It was just standard solicitor sentence reduction techniques

splinter65 wrote: »

No matter what punishment she got (she didn't really get any punishment for killing two people) it won't come close to the sentence she put on both her victims and he husband/father.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

No the pedestrian was at fault for crossing where she shouldnt be and you are required to be mindful of pedestrians
    I was mindful of her. Maybe you’re a fuggin' mind reader but I’m not.

gctest50 wrote: »
    Maybe if they fixed up the roads and barriers n stuff instead of wasting money on flowers on roundabouts and other crap that pair wouldn't have drowned :

The RSA are probably a bit butthurt because it didn't involve excess speed or mobile phone use by a young person

I think they are doing a good job, road fatalities are at their lowest level ever

• Advertisement

I was mindful of her. Maybe you’re a fuggin' mind reader but I’m not.

Drivers are required to be alert for other road users

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It involved an l driver in as unacompanied taking a blind turn at speed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭gctest50

Patww79 wrote: »
    No matter what punishment she got (she didn't really get any punishment for killing two people) it won't come close to the sentence she put on both her victims and he husband/father.

Why is there a gap in the wall " for many years " ?

Bit of barrier would have saved them

Sgt McNamara said that there had been a gap in the wall for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

( I'm presuming there is a car sized gap in the wall because someone else went through it previously )

Lot of our rural (Non national) routes have almost nothing in terms of crash barriers etc and are absolutely littered with dangerous, lethal obstacles like trees, walls, banks etc
    Course it would cost tens of millions in safety measures to address all these so the easy, cheap option is focus on the driver rather than addressing both.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

She shouldn't have been driving alone.

road_high wrote: »
    Lot of our rural rural (Non national) routes have almost nothing in terms of crash barriers etc and are absolutely littered with dangerous, lethal obstacles like trees, walls, banks etc
    Course it would cost tens of millions in safety measures to address all these so the easy, cheap option is focus on the driver rather than addressing both.

That’s why drivers have to drive with an awareness of the conditions around them

Why did she put them through it?

road_high wrote: »
    Lot of our rural rural (Non national) routes have almost nothing in terms of crash barriers etc and are absolutely littered with dangerous, lethal obstacles like trees, walls, banks etc

Why does that not make sense?
    People should be aware when driving

Her not driving unaccompanied would have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

That’s why drivers have to drive with an awareness of the conditions around them

Human beings haven’t an aura of infallibility around then- surely you do realize that if you worked assessing insurance claims?
    Hence why we often have barriers and controls around as a safety net when human judgement fails

Advertisement