Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Public servants' inability to afford to pay rent in Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Force all landlords who are PS to rent out their properties to fellow PS at affordable rent levels

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

thegills wrote: »
    Force all landlords who are PS to rent out their properties to fellow PS at affordable rent levels

What kind of proposal is that? Why not force everyone to rent out at affordable levels? What is an affordable level anyway??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,377 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

We might as well blame travellers for people becoming teachers, nurses etc. !!

Btw...teachers on leave from their jobs don't get paid while not working. But let's not allow facts get in the way.

Wrong, they get paid annual leave. And presumably get paid sick leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

A lot of people can avoid paying tax, that are outside the public service and that is how they can afford to become landlords. I’d imagine most builders and tradesmen have more than one house, as a result of doing cash jobs at a “cash price.”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

thegills wrote:

Such populist rubbish. Look Dublin needs something like they have in London. Differential bands of pay depending on where you work. Also key lower paid workers such as teachers/police/first responders have access to subsidised accomodation (only catch being in London this accommodation was generally in not very nice areas).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Jaysus those poor, poor, teachers - some of them I hear even have to consider working some of their 4 months holidays just to make ends meet.
    Similarly the poor cops, having to eat cornflakes for dinner again are they?

I must know a very unrepresentative bunch of cops, teachers and nurses so - cos every single one I know of is doing quite nicely for themselves. Never mind the wages - which are not too shabby in the first place, then there's the perks, the pensions.

It's not like people begrudge them, they do important jobs, they should be well paid. But lay off the poor mouth bolloxology.

I really wish they'd just shut the fúck up and get on with the jobs they're paid very well for - OR and bear with me now, this is a crazy idea, but hear me out - they could do something else for a living!

mammajamma wrote: »
    A friends younger sister started in the public service last year, she's getting a smidgeon over minimum wage yet living/renting in Dublin. Don't know how she does it.

I think a lot of people are getting confused with a 50 year public servant who has all the hefty increments and bonuses already built up, versus someone who's trying to get their life off the ground.

Yet another 2 tier system.

Are you suggesting that your friends younger sister should be paid (out of the public kitty) the same amount as her colleague with 25 or 30 years experience, because she would like a nice house?

Incidentally, do you know of any person, working at any level, in any job, who wouldn't like a nice house?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

limnam wrote: »
    No one was "shafted" Their employer was bankrupt. Financially embarrassed. They were been paid too much anyway.

How were new people post-Haddington Road being paid too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

17-pdr wrote: »
    Wasn't it a sub department of the Ministry of Fun years ago? Can't remember the last time I genuinely laughed me b*ll*cks off reading a thread in here tbh.

We're all getting older as a user base (think there's stats showing that) and issues like this and the others referred to become more serious when you're no longer sharing with a few mates in your early twenties

Anyway all the notion of paying public servants a extra rent allowance (don't gardai get this anyway?) would do is up rents for EVERYONE

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Ah, the housing crisis/scandal making - as one poster opined - the once jocular and lighthearted After Hours into an embittered, let's attack the perceived cosseted group du jour - Angry Hours. Its pretty sad...

Anyone with half a brain should see that the current govt have been utterly abysmal to the point of wanton neglect in even beginning to deal with the housing scandal. They simply do not care and, even if they truly did, are totally incompetent in tacking the issues. There's a neo-liberal free market must trump common good ideology in place and those losing out are turning against each other.

People having to do 4 hour commutes each way daily attacking those on social welfare who apparently are all entitled to their "forever" homes or those in the public sector who do vital jobs in education, healthcare and public order. I can assure you Leo V, Eoghan Murphy and chums are smirking at this circus of blame and anger.

Classic divide and conquer scenario. Well, direct your anger where it should be - at the current shower in power. Go out this coming Saturday to protest the housing scandal, punish them at the ballot box in the forthcoming election. Do something that might make a difference rather than wasting energy blaming other losers in the game of housing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Addle wrote: »
    Decentralise more departments.
    Free up accommodation for those who remain in cities.
    Give a boost to other locations.
    Win, win?!

Didn't we try that before:Welcome to Parlon Country'.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

To be honest I disagree with special payments to PS so they can afford rents or purchase of houses, I say that even though my wife is a PS.

PS have a decent pay structure and they need to make their own way same as the rest of us have to. It signals a failure of the whole system if people earning above average wage need supports to live.

If they can’t afford Dublin initially they need to cut their cloth and move to more rural areas to work so they can afford to live. Or accept a long commute same as tens of thousands of people for whom wage subs are impossible.

_Brian wrote: »

If they can’t afford Dublin initially they need to cut their cloth and move to more rural areas to work so they can afford to live. Or accept a long commute same as tens of thousands of people for whom wage subs are impossible.

Away out of here with your sense! There's no vote to be bought with that shíte!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

_Brian wrote:

See PS and CS aren't all that widely available in rural areas and this will only continue to decline with rural depopulation. Also young people on low wages mostly can't afford cars let alone the car insurance. Vicious vicious circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

See PS and CS aren't all that widely available in rural areas and this will only continue to decline with rural depopulation. Also young people on low wages mostly can't afford cars let alone the car insurance. Vicious vicious circle.

Yea but that needs to be a factor of making a career decision.
    No one else can take a job that doesn’t afford their chosen lifestyle and then barter for extra payments so they can live in expensive urban areas.

This is a problem faced by all workers starting their careers and I fail to see why any group should be singled out for special treatment.

We all make career Vs lifestyle choices, it’s just part of being a working functional adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

If you think it’s bad for public sector workers spare a thought for private sector workers who are paid less!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

She's young. Get a room in a house for 280e a month.

Are you confusing young with from the past?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

_Brian wrote: »
    Yea but that needs to be a factor of making a career decision.
    No one else can take a job that doesn’t afford their chosen lifestyle and then barter for extra payments so they can live in expensive urban areas.

Agreed. The salary scale for teachers is widely known, so anyone who trained as a teacher knew pretty much to the euro what he or she would be making after graduation. There were no surprises. If newly qualified teachers aren't happy to work for what they knew they would be making, why did they train as teachers in the first place?

Now we're told that they have "no choice" but to head off to Dubai to make some decent tax-free cash.

Are we supposed to compete with Dubai now?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Giving the public sector extra money will only drive rent prices up for everyone.

Honestly the real issue is that they are still not building apartment blocks for some reason in this city. Its crazy. Ive lived in Dublin city centre for nearly 15 years and I know the place well, the only buildings happening are office blocks (for more workers to come here and only inflate the rental crisis more, super expensive student accommodation (built by foreign investors with big tax breaks which from what Im hearing are not selling all their beds due to their massively over the top prices aimed only at very wealthy foreign students) and hotels. None of this is aimed at creating more supply and its beginning to look like this is purposely being done.

What the hell are the Govt or the DCC doing with regards to planning? All the crap being talked about and not one 'normal' bed being built in the city centre from what I can see.

The only solution to this crazy over hyped rental market is a massive amount of supply, and fast.

What I don't get is what has changed since 2007 and 2018 with regards to building companies making profits? If they could build an apt block and make money in 2007, what's all this crap about not being able to do it now and make money? If anything labour costs on the building sites have decreased since then as now all that work there are cheap Romanian labourers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Austria! wrote: »
    Are you confusing young with from the past?

huh?

We're too good for a house share?

• Advertisement

How were new people post-Haddington Road being paid too much?

I was referring to the pre lads.

So comparing overpaid workers to current paid workers does not mean they're now been "shafted" if the wages been compared to were artificially high

mammajamma wrote: »
    280 a month! I know people paying 850 a month for a bog standard room in a bog standard house in rathmines. Maybe she can walk from kildare every day as a commute. Or does car ownership come with an equal reduction in your world?

Yeah, she should share a bed with someone for the next decade and be happy about it. That's life now.

Then they're not very good at using daft.

There's rooms on there at the moment for 280/300 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

17-pdr wrote: »
    I wouldn't apologize at all if I were you. The 'anger' generated by begrudgery, resentment and downright jealousy at another's perceived better circumstances than their own is a widespread trait in this country.

Agreed, I don't care what anyone is paid if there was value for money, what is the waiting list in hospitals now, HSE getting Billions more and only a few more beds in the country, and what about the guards.
    Taxpayers/private enterprise is screwed in this country. what's going on is not sustainable, hopefully the gravy train won't last much longer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Then they're not very good at using daft.

There's rooms on there at the moment for 280/300 a month.

8 results, all incredibly grim options.

Example.

€300 Shared room vacancy in Ballymun. It is a two bedroom apartment, 5 people (included you), 3 Brazilians and 1 Mexican girl You are going to share the room with the Mexican girl to move on 24...

Lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

c0rk3r wrote: »

Example.

€300 Shared room vacancy in Ballymun. It is a two bedroom apartment, 5 people (included you), 3 Brazilians and 1 Mexican girl You are going to share the room with the Mexican girl to move on 24...

Lovely.

We have reached a new low in Irish society when we expect our teachers to share rooms with Mexicans.

c0rk3r wrote: »

Example.

Lovely.

nice house share with a couple in dub 15 for 280

what do you want, your starting out, on just above minimum wage, leaves you with over 1300 a month.

Come off it.

We have reached a new low in Irish society when we expect our teachers to share rooms with Mexicans.
    #

Bit racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭cgcsb

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/where-have-all-our-young-teachers-gone-36666467.html

Due to the high rents in Dublin and other cities, why doesn't the government pay special allowances so that public-sector workers can afford to live in those place in order to fill vacancies for especially important jobs in those areas? Isn't that what already happens in Britain?

Teaching is a clear example of a profession in which job vacancies in cities cannot be filled because of high rents.

Or the government could build an adequate stock of social housing and remove onerous taxation and planning conditions on development of high density living. This would pay fore it's self in removal of HAP and sticking people in hotels.

But quite simply it's too profitable for certain people to keep housing scarce.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭cgcsb

CGet a room in a house for 280e a month.

On what planet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I guarantee in my job as a hospital pharmacist, I make a lot more difference financially to the HSE than I am paid. The difference I make to patients lives is generally immeasurable. Ive worked my arse off to get to where I am today so apologies if you feel I'm too highly paid.

Full respect to your profession but we're all in the same boat

Advertisement