Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Hector : Wind Warning :Weds 13 PM to Thurs 14th AM

• 12-06-2018 6:26pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

This has been upgrading in strength over the previous runs and has the potential for more counties to be included to the warnings. It is at the high end of Yellow warning I think and some coastal areas may experience higher gusts. It is an unusually strong wind for the time of year, more so with the trees in full foliage and holiday caravan parks full for the summer and possibly building projects under way that may not be as protected as during the winter months.

Met Eireann

National Warnings

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Connacht, Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal and Clare
    On Wednesday evening and night and for a time on Thursday morning, south to southwest winds, veering westerly, will reach mean speeds of 55 to 65 km/hr with gusts of 90 to 110 km/hr. Winds will be strongest in coastal areas.

Issued: Tuesday 12 June 2018 10:00

Valid from Wednesday 13 June 2018 20:00 to Thursday 14 June 2018 10:00

W8RVKYm.png

Edit: Latest Updates

no warning
    Status Orange - Wind warning for Donegal, Galway, Mayo and Sligo
    On Wednesday evening and night and for a time on Thursday morning, south to southwest winds veering westerly, associated with Storm Hector, will reach mean speeds of 65 to 80 km/hr with gusts of 110 to 125 km/hr. Winds will be strongest in coastal areas. High spring tides are likely to coincide with the strongest winds leading to a risk of coastal flooding and wave overtopping.

Issued: Wednesday 13 June 2018 08:00

Valid from Wednesday 13 June 2018 21:00 to Thursday 14 June 2018 10:00

no warning
    Status Yellow - Wind warning for Dublin, Kildare, Longford, Louth, Offaly, Westmeath, Meath, Cavan, Monaghan, Leitrim, Roscommon, Clare and Kerry
    Southwest to west winds, later veering westerly, associated with Storm Hector, will reach mean speeds of 55 to 65 km/hr with gusts of 90 to 110 km/hr. Over Leinster winds will be strongest between 0200 and 0900.

Issued: Wednesday 13 June 2018 16:00

OGp3DXK.png

tempresult_kgh4.gif

tempresult_kqv7.gif

tempresult_tve8.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

The way she was talking after the news get the feeling it could go Amber

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Here we go again... a challenge, an event ....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭sdanseo

You'd imagine Orange would be warranted for Galway, Mayo, perhaps Donegal and Clare also. Mean speeds in excess of 65km/h and gusts in excess of 110km/h shown on GFS, HIRLAM and ECM along coastal fringes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Darwin

What a difference a week makes in weather eh? Who would of thought we'd be getting broadsided by an almost dartboard low with the summer solstice just round the corner.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM showing areas that would probably go under an Orange warning all right( gusts 110-130 km/h ). Have been watching this for a few days and unusually every run I would say has been upgrading to stronger winds. ECM has been leading the way and is not one to exaggerate wind speeds. The 12z is showing that the system is arriving later than previous runs an not moving away as quickly.

FZoHiDj.png

oD5cKRk.png

CAVe7kj.png

QWT9Wip.png

LdqOWwq.png

UOjkU1Z.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Strong Jet for the time of year .

mknSdAu.gif?1

The HIRLAM showing more of the country receiving stronger winds which would probably warrant an Orange Warning given the time of year?

tempresult_wuk9.gif

I wonder could we see evidence of a sting jet from this.

dE0RqqT.png

0dNKDeN.gif?1

tempresult_jen1.gif

tempresult_kcq6.gif

nmmuk-25-54-0_twn9.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭squarecircles

:eek: but im sitting outside in shorts eating a raspberry double chocolate magnum watching the sunset in west Mayo.

puts garden furniture away*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,095 ✭✭✭pad199207

:eek: but im sitting outside in shorts eating a raspberry double chocolate magnum watching the sunset in west Mayo.

puts garden furniture away*

Yeah and I needed to come up here to North Mayo for two days! I thought after all the decent weather it would be a grand two days maybe just a bit of rain! Not a full blown wind!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm in north Donegal and getting just a little bit excited about the next two days! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Currently(11pm reports) Belmullet has just 3 knots of wind.... will be different come this time tomorrow :)

Mean speeds by the EURO 4

OpgLgtm.gif

kTBw8YB.gif

prn3hiu.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Jesus Prickly Summer

Bloody typical.. Dublin misses it again ;)

The marine forecast is now orange on met.ie.
    MARINE FORECAST
    Status Orange - Gale Warning
    1. South to southwest gales will develop during the morning on Irish coastal waters from Valentia to Slyne Head to Rossan Point, and will extend to all coasts and the Irish Sea through the day.

2. Westerly gale to storm force winds overnight.

Sometimes inlanders forget we coast dwellers are affected by the marine weather ... especially islanders

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Expect peak gusts in Connacht and west Ulster around 0300h to 0500h, something like 110 km/hr in exposed locations. It will begin to calm down after 0900h Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭pauldry

Raining again in Sligo after over 3 weeks mainly dry

Could be 30mm from this

• Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

And now it will be my turn not to be able to sleep

Gone Orange now. Storm Hector

Status Orange - Wind warning for Donegal, Galway, Mayo and Sligo

On Wednesday evening and night and for a time on Thursday morning, south to southwest winds veering westerly, associated with Storm Hector, will reach mean speeds of 65 to 80 km/hr with gusts of 110 to 125 km/hr. Winds will be strongest in coastal areas.

Issued: Wednesday 13 June 2018 08:00

• Advertisement

Woke here to the first spots of rain for weeks and a fresh breeze. West Mayo; offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

We could do with a drop of rain. I hear the taps have run dry in parts of Dublin (Howth peninsula I think).

Spits and spots of wet rain. Gracious breeze. Gathering. North Mayo. Onshore Mainland. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,078 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Graces7 wrote: »
    The marine forecast is now orange on met.ie.
    MARINE FORECAST
    Status Orange - Gale Warning
    1. South to southwest gales will develop during the morning on Irish coastal waters from Valentia to Slyne Head to Rossan Point, and will extend to all coasts and the Irish Sea through the day.

2. Westerly gale to storm force winds overnight.

Sometimes inlanders forget we coast dwellers are affected by the marine weather ... especially islanders

Unless you live on a boat then the Marine forecast is not for you!

Focus on the civilian forecast.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Unless you live on a boat then the Marine forecast is not for you!

Focus on the civilian forecast.

Disagree! Totally! We are directly affected here, on offshore islands, by marine forecasts as we are out sea. The weather does not stop where land is!!!!!! :rolleyes:

civilian?

Disagree! Totally! We are directly affected here, on offshore islands, by marine forecasts as we are out sea. The weather does not stop where land is!!!!!! :rolleyes:

civilian?

No, but Marine forecasts are based on the conditions for Marine traffic. Not for your house. The wind warnings for national forecasts are heavily related to the coasts anyway, inland Mayo isn't really an orange warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Oh, Shyte! :( Shyte, shyte, shyte. My poor lovely tall sunflowers that I have grown from seed. :( And everything else!!!....SHYTE!!!!!!!! :mad:

We are always affected by the marine forecasts as we live in West Mayo on an offshore island ... reliant on ferries and at sea..

The more we know the better we fare

Malayalam wrote: »
    Oh, Shyte! :( Shyte, shyte, shyte. My poor lovely tall sunflowers that I have grown from seed. :( And everything else!!!....SHYTE!!!!!!!! :mad:

So sorry. Mine are still small and in pots... I have moved all I can into shelter

• Advertisement

We are always affected by the marine forecasts as we live in West Mayo on an offshore island ... reliant on ferries and at sea..

The more we know the better we fare

Not really, the marine forecasts are valid for sea conditions and focused on Marine traffic. By all means if you for some reason think they're valid to you use them, but don't spread misinformation.

Advertisement