Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

mizen to malin 2018

• 22-10-2017 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

Myself and a friend are "thinking" of doing mizen to malin next year

Looking to do it over probably 4-5 days cycling up to 150km a day

Would be open to doing it with a charity or group for support

Any help and tips with the route are extremely welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

cavan4sam wrote: »
    ..Any help and tips with the route are extremely welcome
    Start on a Monday (if its not a Bank Holiday). Makes accommodation matters a little easier. Whatever you do, don't begin on the Friday of a Bank Holiday weekend unless you're pitching a tent each night.

4 days is handy enough - if I was doing it again I'd probably do it in 3 days (or even 2). No climbing as such, a few drags but generally flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

I ran it this year. Used as much routing software as I could get my hands on and found that good old google maps did the best job of finding the optimal route. My route was mainly minor roads, and had more climb than some other routes, but was the shortest I could plot (about 550km). I can send you GPX if you like.

Enduro wrote: »
    I ran it this year. ..
    :eek: Serious respect! That's about 13 marathons! How long did it take you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

:eek: Serious respect! That's about 13 marathons! How long did it take you?

3 days, 3 hours, 47 minutes or thereabouts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Unbelievable stuff, well done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭secman

I ran it this year. Used as much routing software as I could get my hands on and found that good old google maps did the best job of finding the optimal route. My route was mainly minor roads, and had more climb than some other routes, but was the shortest I could plot (about 550km). I can send you GPX if you like.

Very apt username... well done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

There are a few charities who do this, but be sure to do it from Mizen to Malin (and not the other way around to avoid the prevailing south-west headwinds!).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭nilhg

Myself and a friend are "thinking" of doing mizen to malin next year

Looking to do it over probably 4-5 days cycling up to 150km a day

Any help and tips with the route are extremely welcome

My main tip would be to take your time and take the more scenic route if possible, the straight up the middle option is fine if you're in a hurry, doing a one or two day bashfest but doesn't really compare to staying closer to the west coast. The one road I'd positively encourage avoiding is the A5 from Strabane to Derry, it was just horrible the day we were on it.

massive kudos, it took us 25 hours on bikes and that was plenty for me, don't know how you kept going running for that lenght.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

We went Limerick, Athlone, Manorhamilton in 2015 over 5 1/2 days but would push for 3 or 4 days if doing it again. Late start on the first day didn't help.

Route was great and seemed to have wind behind us most of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭youtheman

We did it in 4 days, Tralee, Galway, Donegal Town and Malin Head.  You can make the first day very interesting (Caha Pass, Molls' Gap, Black Valley), second day likewise (through the Burren and past Father Ted's House). Third day is rather boring (just clocking up the miles for the sake of it).  Fourth day is good also.  Hotel's in Galway can be quite expensive if you are stopping there.  Let me know if you want the routes and I can send them to you via PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

ED E wrote: »

there is no backing out now :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭youtheman

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

My Friend and I did it a couple of years ago, just the two of us. As previous poster we took the scenic route and tried to catch some coastline too. think we averaged just over 100k a day. We went from Malin to Mizen and stayed in Schull for a couple of nights afterwards.
    Malin to Donegal town;
    Donegal to Enniscrone
    Ennicrone to Louisburgh
    Louisburgh to Galway
    Galway to Lahinch
    Lahinch to Killarney
    Killarney to Mizen

We found some guy that runs a business of carrying baggage for hill-walkers etc. He collected our stuff from B&B each morning and it was waiting for us when we got to the next one.

Great week, we still talk about it. We did it in August, 1 rain shower 0 punctures :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

duffer247 wrote: »
    My Friend and I did it a couple of years ago, just the two of us. As previous poster we took the scenic route and tried to catch some coastline too. think we averaged just over 100k a day. We went from Malin to Mizen and stayed in Schull for a couple of nights afterwards.
    Malin to Donegal town;
    Donegal to Enniscrone
    Ennicrone to Louisburgh
    Louisburgh to Galway
    Galway to Lahinch
    Lahinch to Killarney
    Killarney to Mizen

We found some guy that runs a business of carrying baggage for hill-walkers etc. He collected our stuff from B&B each morning and it was waiting for us when we got to the next one.

Great week, we still talk about it. We did it in August, 1 rain shower 0 punctures :)

Who was the guy running that baggage business if you dont mind me asking?
    Seems a great route btw, I personally couldnt be doing that without getting some scenary in, going up thru the midlands would be grim imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Well that escalated quickly !!!!

Thanks a million for all the feedback kind of scared and excited at the thought ..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Guy I know did it in 4 days this year. Can put you in contact if you want. He had dreadful weather for it in late Aug. PM if you want more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

terrydel wrote: »
    Who was the guy running that baggage business if you dont mind me asking?
    Seems a great route btw, I personally couldnt be doing that without getting some scenary in, going up thru the midlands would be grim imho.

http://thepathwayporter.co.uk/

If I remember correctly it was about €200-€250, split between the 2 of us. Seems like a lot but it was money well spent to have your clothes and bits waiting for you at your destination at end of day. Also meant you only carried what you needed for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ustazjoseph

myself and my then 15 yr old did it two yrs ago. lunch time start mizen to Macroom. macroom - limerick . limerick ballinasloe. balinasloe roscommon - short day , stayed with family. roscommon eniskillen. eniskillen letterkenney (family ) letterkenney malin ( trip included a ferry ) mostly back roads with google maps. stayed in hostels and with family. great trip. like to do it again via coast .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Myself and a gang of others done it in 2014 over 5 days.

Day 1 Mizen to Tralee (via Caha pass/Molls gap)
    Day 2 Tralee to lisdoonvarna (ferry crossing at Tarbert)
    Day 3 Lisdoonvarna to Claremorris
    Day 4 Claremorris to Donegal Town
    Day 5 Donegal Town to Malin Head.

Think it was 665km in total.

We done it second week in September and had absolutely brilliant weather. Tail wind, clear bright sunny days from start to finish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/irish-endurance-cyclist-joe-barr/amp/

Your brother in Arms.

Some run. Some ride

ford2600 wrote: »
    ..Some run. Some ride
    Indeed but was 'Tow Bar' being extra hard on himself? Strange time of the year to try that and particularly cold over the past two nights.

Indeed but was 'Tow Bar' being extra hard on himself? Strange time of the year to try that and particularly cold over the past two nights.

He tried earlier on this year and something went wrong, presumably he felt good and decided to have another go.

Some tough man.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭delynet

Planning to do it next year. Maybe a group of 4-6. Aiming for end of June for a sub 24hour

4 guys in my club did it 20 years ago (1998) in 23 hrs 46min so we thought it would be a good challenge for the anniversary

delynet wrote: »
    Planning to do it next year. Maybe a group of 4-6. Aiming for end of June for a sub 24hour

4 guys in my club did it 20 years ago (1998) in 23 hrs 46min so we thought it would be a good challenge for the anniversary

Any of the 4 going to be involved?

4-6 cyclists plus another 2 support crew in vans\cars

Depending on logistics we may have another group doing it over 2 days but won't worry about that yet as there is enough to organize with the 1 day challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭N.96

https://guidedogs.ie/events/mizen2malin-2018/

Completed this last week in 23hrs 23mins. some info here on planning and preparation

http://www.dely.net/cycling-blog/mizen-to-malin-in-less-than-24-hours/

Advertisement