Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet blocked with poo!

• 15-05-2010 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭

I did a number two last night and flushed without looking. I thought everything was ok when I looked and it was gone. However upon further flushing the water is coming up very high but there's no sign of the offending poo. It must be stuck at the bend i think.

What can I do? I've tried a coat hanger and put down some vinegar 45mins ago. Getting some Mr Muscle has been strongly suggested to me...anything else I can do without calling out a plumber and it turning into a very expensive dump? :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Does this happen much or is it the first time.... If its the first time your prob just unfortunate.

If it were me i would get some caustic soda powder... Use rubber gloves, Be careful follow the instructions to the letter.

Then again I know a lot of people use mr muscle...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭VanZan

The vinegar seems to have done it! :D Thank God! To answer the replies I was told I couldn't use a plunger because the blockage was not visible or at the bend? Maybe this is incorrect? I will get some caustic soda in just in case as well...thanks!

By the way this is always happening to me :o I think I should probably go to the health forum and post there. It even happened to me abroad once while sharing an apartment with others...the maintenance guy had to be called and it was all very embarrassing. Don't know why but mine are huge but I go as soon as nature calls :o

I have to head over to the other "blocked toilet" thread now and thank whovever mentioned vinegar. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

get a bit more fiber in your diet :p

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭muffinhead

VanZan wrote: »
    What can I do? I've tried a coat hanger

I really need to grow up....but I found this post hilarious :D:D:D !!!

• Advertisement

Store the caustic soda out of reach. It is very acidic and very dangerous once it reacts with moisture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Vinegar is great (add some bread soda to unblock sinks) :)

With due respect to everyone I would never use vinager as its an acid and will break down silicone in joints but its up to you

With due respect to everyone I would never use vinager as its an acid and will break down silicone in joints but its up to you
    Yeah I was thinking could it do any damage?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

I would usually throw a mop bucket full of water down it to get the blockage to move along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Thats true Joey, but its not near as bad as Caustic Soda.:eek:

Vinegar is a cheap, mild acid and safe to use. Most homes have it to hand, so no need to rush out to local Hardware store. A lot of blockages occur at night when shops are closed.

Caustic Soda can be dangerous to use and store etc. Its a very strong acid & will certainly break down silicone in joints.:)

I rather my kids found an old bottle of Vinegar in the shed, rather than an old bottle of Caustic Soda!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭mad m

Best plunger is the auld mop with a plastic bag over it...plunge away...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

re: mr muscle - it says on any drain unblockers I've seen that you shouldn't put them in toilets.

pwd wrote: »
    re: mr muscle - it says on any drain unblockers I've seen that you shouldn't put them in toilets.
    Crikey unblocking a toilet isn't so straightforward! Do you have any idea why you can't use them?

RKQ wrote: »
    Thats true Joey, but its not near as bad as Caustic Soda.:eek:

Vinegar is a cheap, mild acid and safe to use. Most homes have it to hand, so no need to rush out to local Hardware store. A lot of blockages occur at night when shops are closed.

Caustic Soda can be dangerous to use and store etc. Its a very strong acid & will certainly break down silicone in joints.:)

I rather my kids found an old bottle of Vinegar in the shed, rather than an old bottle of Caustic Soda!

Right.... Caustic soda does not attack PVC or LDPE which is the common ingredients in waste fittings. Sim it does not attack joints. However I dont imagine many will attempt put caustic soda in a sink as it would destroy the waste(metal) where as we do not associate vinager with that.

When silicone is manufactured they add vinager to stop it going off. The small of sanitary seal is actually a vinager smell and a fungacide smell reacting. When you introduce air they both go off. Sanitary seal will not go off if its wet thats why Tec7 is now used so much. If you use vinager in say a shower tray/under a bath where you cannot get to the joints you will cause serious damage.

If you look up the PH of vinager you will actually realise that its not mildly acidic.

Just for fyi I was not always involved in plumbing. I imported silicones for years(Dow Corning Geocel brand)

I dont care what anyone uses but believe me as we know caustic soda to be lethal we will be careful how we use it. We assume vinager to be mild. Just pour malt vinager onto a wooden toilet seat and you will see the damage...

But again really i always tell everyone my advice is friendly and not ment to offend. :)

So you can't use Mr Muscle in toilets, caustic soda is lethal and vinegar is bad too? Fcuk! It seems the only safe option is a plunger? I do hope I've not fcuked up my loo pouring a small bottle of vinegar down it this morning :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Darmstrong

I would usually throw a mop bucket full of water down it to get the blockage to move along.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

Condi wrote: »
    No that's a number one isn't it? :D

Darmstrong wrote: »
    :confused:
    Are you quoting that in answer to my post? I don't see how a bucket of water would have helped because flushing was having no effect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Darmstrong

VanZan wrote: »
    Are you quoting that in answer to my post? I don't see how a bucket of water would have helped because flushing was having no effect.

Uum no..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

Caustic soda is the best solution for toilets. Will eat through nappies and sh1t. JUST FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY.

Condi wrote: »
    Exactly what I thought afterwards.

The principle of the mop and the bucket of water is actually the same as the plunger. The mop gathers a large volume of water and sends it towards the blockage.... The only difference is the slash back is worse with the mop and personally even though it might be my own I dont value being covered in p1ss and sh1t. :)

Janitors use to use this technique in schools...

The only difference is the slash back is worse with the mop and personally even though it might be my own I dont value being covered in p1ss and sh1t. :)

Janitors use to use this technique in schools...

Ah now Joey, it depends on how good you are with mop....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

the best bet is to go out to the main drain lift the lid get a set of rods and give the pipes a good flushing with the rods reason why number twos are getting stuck is theres a build up in the sewer not enough pressure to take it away so will just keep happening, so when you see a floater again get the rods out..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

patwicklow wrote: »
    the best bet is to go out to the main drain lift the lid get a set of rods and give the pipes a good flushing with the rods reason why number twos are getting stuck is theres a build up in the sewer not enough pressure to take it away so will just keep happening, so when you see a floater again get the rods out..
    and no im not a plumber im a painter lol

patwicklow wrote: »

Well thats fine if its blocked in the Ajay or manhole, but if its blocked in the ubend in toilet then rods are a no go unless you take pan out....There should be cleaning eyes on a stack as well...

If your floaters are getting stuck then you have a bad fall on your sewer...

I'm no plumber either, a painter as well.....:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Op is full of shįt

Advertisement