Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNA Analysis

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I did too, and I am very impressed.
    It's identified West Clare, North Munster and in Leinster "Wicklow, Carlow and Wexford".

I have ancestors from Clare, Limerick, Wicklow and Carlow that are known.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

I've changed from 84% Ireland, Gr. Britain 1%, W. Europe 15% to 100% Ireland/Scotland/Wales!!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

Mine has changed also. I now have four communities North Connacht, West Roscommon & East Mayo, West Roscommon, East Mayo & North Galway and South Sligo & North Roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

So... my dad’s dna results adjusted & apparently my g-g-grandmother (1848-1905) was born in the US. (Eastern/south) I have very little information on her. No surname and no history that I can find.

I’d love to know what brought her to Ireland before meeting & marrying my g-g-grandfather.

It also introduced trace of Native American. This wasn’t present I. His previous results & im guessing it came through her.

Again, no ideas but intriguing none the less.

It’s a welcome introduction as the family of the time didn’t move around far from the area they were reared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

No major change in my results, just a little refinement. I was 99% Ireland & Scotland (Munster), 1% England & Wales. The update makes me 99% Ireland & Scotland (adding North Munster, East Cork & Waterford, North Tipp.) and 1% England & Wales. The community boundaries are rather 'fuzzy' so no surprises there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

I'm 100% Ireland/Scotland. What's interesting is I do think their 'genetic community' calculator can't handle people who are 'mixed' (in sense their grandparents come from geographic distant parts of one geographic group).

So for example my father is also 100% Ireland/Scotland and has 'Ulster' specifically
    • Tyrone, Derry and Antrim
    • South Derry and East Antrim

ancestry-dad-gc.png

His father was from Belfast, however his mother was from East Galway (his grandfather as well, but his grandmother was from half Cork/half Killkenny)

In turn my mother who is from North Clare got a spot on result:
    ancestry-mom-gc.png#

She gets 4 Munster Genetic Communities in her result.

In comparison I end up with 'Munster' and three Munster Genetic communities:
    ancestry-me-gc.png

Basically their calculator appears to only be able to see distinct sub-clusters of a region (eg. North Clare etc.) when you have a number of great-grandparents from that region. When you have ancestors bit more distant added in they basically don't show up.

Now I should point out that of my 8 great-grandparents the following holds true:
    • 4 from Clare
    • 1 from East Galway
    • 1 half Kilkenny and half Cork
    • 1 from Belfast
    • 1 who was Liverpool Irish (but of Ulster origin)

It's quite possible as a result that in the 50% I got from my dad that the autosomal contribution from my grandmother (Galway/Cork/Kilkenny) was higher (eg. greater then 50%) then what I got from my grandfather. In which case I'm not surprised that 'Munster' would win out as a result.

(For the record I was born and raised in Galway)

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

I've had a quick search to see if my question was answered already elsewhere, but I couldn't find anything so sorry if this is a repetition.

On my ancestry DNA matches I have matched with a person "A".
    I had a look at our shared DNA matches and I see we share a match with a person "B".

I look at the shared matches between myself and person "B". Person "A" is not present on this.
    So B is on A's list of shared matches, A is not on B's list of shared matches.
    How can this be?

P.S. I know my connection with both A and B, and the connection between themselves. "A" is my father's 2nd cousin, "B" is my 3rd cousin.
    "A" is the first cousin of "B"'s father.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

May I ask,

I did the 'my heritage' test last year, I managed to get no 'close family' as they say on the site and only 1 extended family (on the site as : 1st cousin twice removed - 3rd cousin once removed, about 80yrs in the USA) so I didn't bother looking into it.

Would Ancestry be a good option to try also, or would there be any point?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

I've had a quick search to see if my question was answered already elsewhere, but I couldn't find anything so sorry if this is a repetition.

On my ancestry DNA matches I have matched with a person "A".
    I had a look at our shared DNA matches and I see we share a match with a person "B".

I look at the shared matches between myself and person "B". Person "A" is not present on this.
    So B is on A's list of shared matches, A is not on B's list of shared matches.
    How can this be?

P.S. I know my connection with both A and B, and the connection between themselves. "A" is my father's 2nd cousin, "B" is my 3rd cousin.
    "A" is the first cousin of "B"'s father.

Ancestry only show shared matches over 20 cMs, so if person A has a sharing with you of less than 20 cMs they will not appear as a shared match on your list of shared matches with B. Is this the case?

Ancestry have been criticized for the high limit but have yet to reduce it to a more meaningful figure of say 10 cMs or even 15.

Aska wrote: »
    May I ask,

I did the 'my heritage' test last year, I managed to get no 'close family' as they say on the site and only 1 extended family (on the site as : 1st cousin twice removed - 3rd cousin once removed, about 80yrs in the USA) so I didn't bother looking into it.

Would Ancestry be a good option to try also, or would there be any point?

Thanks

Do you know that you can easily upload the MyHeritage test to other sites for free, the main ones being FTDNA and Gedmatch. There is a charge of I think it's $19 on FTDNA if you want to use some more of their tools but you will see your matches that are on their databank for free.

Gedmatch is particularly useful as it has lots of free tools eg "are your parents related" which they can tell from your test. They have more in-depth tools that you can try for $10 for a months use.

Moving on to your question about taking an Ancestry test. I find most of my matches on Ancestry and if you are into Family Trees at all, I would say it is advisable to test with Ancestry as links the matches to trees which is very useful, although this might be only if you pay a subscription every year.
    Either way, Ancestry have the biggest database so I think it is worth testing there. Unfortunately, you can't upload your test to Ancestry or indeed to the other largish one 23andme, you have to do separate tests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

Ancestry only show shared matches over 20 cMs, so if person A has a sharing with you of less than 20 cMs they will not appear as a shared match on your list of shared matches with B. Is this the case?

Ancestry have been criticized for the high limit but have yet to reduce it to a more meaningful figure of say 10 cMs or even 15.

Thank you for this. That would explain my situation yes.
    I agree that 10 or 15 cMs would make more sense and be more helpful!!!!!!

Cheers!

Moving on to your question about taking an Ancestry test. I find most of my matches on Ancestry and if you are into Family Trees at all, I would say it is advisable to test with Ancestry as links the matches to trees which is very useful, although this might be only if you pay a subscription every year.
    Either way, Ancestry have the biggest database so I think it is worth testing there. Unfortunately, you can't upload your test to Ancestry or indeed to the other largish one 23andme, you have to do separate tests.

If you've taken a DNA test with them, they usually offer a one-off 50% subscription on the annual membership.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

I've recently had a DNA test using the ancestry co.uk test.It has identified I have 48%Irish/Scottish ethnicity,I'm under the impression this is usual as there is little difference between Ireland and Scotland as they have invaded each other over the centuries.Is this correct?I was unsure as my paternal line was from the Raphoe area of Donegal (Ulster plantation,possibly Scottish?)but I also have Irish ancestry,I have no Scottish history in my family tree as far back as I can trace (circa 1806)I wondered if anyone could give me any pointers on narrowing this down?

Ethnicity estimates are just a bit of fun at the moment, but expect them to improve with time.

Unless you have knowledge of Scottish ancestry, then assume you've just Irish at this stage.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

RobMc59 wrote: »
    I've recently had a DNA test using the ancestry co.uk test.It has identified I have 48%Irish/Scottish ethnicity,I'm under the impression this is usual as there is little difference between Ireland and Scotland as they have invaded each other over the centuries.Is this correct?I was unsure as my paternal line was from the Raphoe area of Donegal (Ulster plantation,possibly Scottish?)but I also have Irish ancestry,I have no Scottish history in my family tree as far back as I can trace (circa 1806)I wondered if anyone could give me any pointers on narrowing this down?
    If you are at all interested in genealogy, work on your cousin matches. Ignore the ethnicity report, it's really not going to be a lot of help.

leck wrote: »
    RobMc59 wrote: »
    If you are at all interested in genealogy, work on your cousin matches. Ignore the ethnicity report, it's really not going to be a lot of help.
    Should I try and read up on this,as I'm not sure what the significance of cousin matches is?-I've had a brief look through these on ancestry and have spoken to my nearest cousin by message,(he is my 3rd cousin)-any advice would be very welcome.

Cousin matches are the best bit!

Some excellent videos on the Genetic Genealogy Ireland (both for beginners and more advanced)Youtube channel. Obviously focus on the autosomal stuff.

Upload a gedcom of at least your direct ancestors to Ancestry so your matches can see it - this way you can quickly see if there's an obvious match.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭wellboss

Hello,

Sorry if this has been asked recently but I cannot seem to find the information. I am hoping to do the DNA testing soon and am unsure which site to use. Ancestry or Family Tree or another maybe? . Which has the largest database for Ireland at present.

At present I am trying to do two things.

1)

I am trying to trace links to a family in Mayo, where I am from myself and the line runs dry in the mid 1850 on paper but I am pretty sure I have identified a brother or cousin of my great great grandfathers. I have contact with 2 female members of this branch and they are also looking to do the testing. I am hoping to find the link genetically.

Would autosomal testing be best for this. I could potentially have a male member of that line test also.

2)

My overall objective is also to try and get as many people with my family name in the region to do the paternal Y-DNA testing and see can we find a common ancestor. It's a very rare name (Reape) and is only commonly found in North mayo and North Sligo regions.

I am not sure Which test I should do or would I need to do two tests, the Y-DNA and autosomal.

Any guidance would be great, I am slowing learning about the DNA testing so apologies if the above doesn't make sense.

Thanks in advance

I have done autosomal tests with Ancestry and 23andme and uploaded the DNA to Family Tree, MyHeritage and Gedmatch.

I find Ancestry by far the best for getting matches, they have the biggest database and the DNA is usually linked into Family Trees which is handy (you would have to subscribe though if you wanted to look at the trees in detail but I think they have a 14 day free trial period)

What they don't have though (unlike all the others) is a breakdown of the DNA to show the segments you match on but you could find this by uploading for free to gedmatch (of course your match would need to do that too)

They say MyHeritage has more Irish people on it but I'm not convinced.

I also did Y DNA with Family Tree but not good for finding matches.

All the sites have either sales at the moment or coming up for black Friday, thanksgiving etc.

You can't upload your DNA that you have tested with another firm to Ancestry (or to 23andme) but you can to the others although some of them charge a fee for getting full information on the matches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

wellboss wrote: »
    Hello,

Sorry if this has been asked recently but I cannot seem to find the information. I am hoping to do the DNA testing soon and am unsure which site to use. Ancestry or Family Tree or another maybe? . Which has the largest database for Ireland at present.

At present I am trying to do two things.

1)

I am trying to trace links to a family in Mayo, where I am from myself and the line runs dry in the mid 1850 on paper but I am pretty sure I have identified a brother or cousin of my great great grandfathers. I have contact with 2 female members of this branch and they are also looking to do the testing. I am hoping to find the link genetically.

Would autosomal testing be best for this. I could potentially have a male member of that line test also.

2)

My overall objective is also to try and get as many people with my family name in the region to do the paternal Y-DNA testing and see can we find a common ancestor. It's a very rare name (Reape) and is only commonly found in North mayo and North Sligo regions.

I am not sure Which test I should do or would I need to do two tests, the Y-DNA and autosomal.

Any guidance would be great, I am slowing learning about the DNA testing so apologies if the above doesn't make sense.

Thanks in advance

A Y-DNA test is the best one for confirming your male line. Most Irish males get a lot of matches but if you have a rare surname the problem is that leaves less people to test and it increases the chances of the male line dying or daughtering out.

• Advertisement

Ipso wrote: »
    A Y-DNA test is the best one for confirming your male line. Most Irish males get a lot of matches but if you have a rare surname the problem is that leaves less people to test and it increases the chances of the male line dying or daughtering out.

I agree. Irish people generally get a good number of matches but it can vary. Some can be luckier than others. In my dad's case, he has 126 Y-37 matches, 51 Y-67 matches, 21 Y-111 matches, and 38 Big Y matches. He has two matches that he appears to have a common ancestor back around the 1700s (still unconfirmed).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I have only 5 matches, the joys of not being part of the R1b brigade.

There is no data on which database has the most Irish people in it but Ancestry has the biggest database by far.

Autosomal for no1.

Y-DNA is definitely the way to go if you have a hypothesis like yours and candidates to test. However, it will only tell you that are related and won't identify how recently.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭wellboss

pinkypinky wrote: »
    There is no data on which database has the most Irish people in it but Ancestry has the biggest database by far.

Autosomal for no1.

Y-DNA is definitely the way to go if you have a hypothesis like yours and candidates to test. However, it will only tell you that are related and won't identify how recently.

Thanks for that, I have seen people on here talk about cousins 4 and 5 times removed via DNA testing, could we not extrapolate where the common ancestor may be from that ie 3 x great grandfather

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Hi all

Quick question for those that understand more re. DNA than I do.

Have a match on Ancestry of 46cM across one segment with a person.Its only on one chromosome (same with all shared matches with that person)
    Thats more than with a good few known 3rd/4th cousins.Also have 60 plus shared matches with this person.Most are showing as sharing 20 to 40 cM with me.
    Two problems.
    Have gone through the shared match list one by one ,looking at shared matches and who they match with .Not one match with any known(to me) relative.It seems to be a closed loop.
    Second problem is that many have tree's attached to their test and looking at them they seem to indicate family in USA long pre 1800 and no real Irish connection although many trees contain a similar surname to my own.

These matches are on my fathers side as no match to my mothers DNA test.
    Any ideas?

wellboss wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I have seen people on here talk about cousins 4 and 5 times removed via DNA testing, could we not extrapolate where the common ancestor may be from that ie 3 x great grandfather

The problem with Y-DNA is that it changes very slowly so even a genetic distance of 0 at Y-37 means a match in the last 500 years. See here for more detail:

https://learn.familytreedna.com/y-dna-testing/y-str/two-men-share-surname-genetic-distance-37-y-chromosome-str-markers-interpreted/

If you test the people for Y AND autosomal, you might get more out of it.

I suggest you read a book like the recently published Tracing your Ancestors using DNA.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Testing autosomal DNA is the best test to buy starting off since it covers every line. It is also much cheaper than Y-DNA testing. I have tested with AncestryDNA, FTDNA, MyHeritage, and Living DNA. Out of these, I have the most confirmed matches on AncestryDNA. It would then be folowed by MyHeritage, followed by FTDNA and I only match my parents on FTDNA but both parents have an extra match.

But it is definitely the time of year to get the best price on a Y test - Black Friday is imminent.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Having recently had an ancestry.co.uk DNA test I was slightly confused to receive a revised profile fairly quickly which changed my DNA makeup quite significantly.
    As a total novice to the interpretation of DNA,could anyone give me any pointers on how to find out about 'DNA marks'.I saw this on a tv programme which traced people's ancestry,the programme was sponsored by 'ancestry'?

• Advertisement

It would be worth your while reading our sticky which covers some of the basics.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057779502

Ethnicity is just a bit of fun and should not be taken seriously.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement