Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ronaldo donates 1.5 mil to Palestinians

• 17-05-2019 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

I know he is a soccer star, but the subject matter rises above the fact he is a sports celeb.

As the title says, Ronaldo has donated 1.5 mil to the Palestinians. I never realised Ronaldo supported the Palestinian cause. I'm not a big soccer fan and was even less so of Ronaldo, but I can honestly say I've find myself having a lot of respect for the guy now.

Why are his good deeds not widely reported in the press???? If you did something bad, the press would be all over it!

I'm not anti Semitic but I do have a huge issue with the Israeli governments policy towards Palestine as a whole. I can't fathom how a people who were so persecuted not so long ago can now effectively try and eradicate the palestians by land grabbing and displacement.

Story here:

https://www.telesurenglish.net/news/Cristiano-Ronaldo-Donates-1.5M-to-Palestine-for-Ramadan-20190516-0024.html?fbclid=IwAR04tx88_AkDYj-riq81CqxEGkKEApB-EudwBbYfjUJBHjiwLYOiU8Pd9JY

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Ah can’t beat a bit of PR

Allow me to be a bit cynical on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Much cheaper ways to do some pr.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Y'know, you may well be right. But what I always say in response to that is "sure f*ck it, as long as he's donating the money I don't really mind why he's doing it".

Or to put it another way, I'd imagine those in Palestine who will benefit from it aren't going to send it back with a note saying "Feck off, we're not your marketing team, buddy" :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Why cynical? According to the article he has supported the Palestinians for some time now. There are easier ways of getting good press than parting with a cool 1.5 mil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Well It’s a risky bit of PR! plenty of other places he could’ve given his money too!

Ronaldo is known for his charity work! regardless of how he might act on the pitch he’s a class act off it tbf to the guy!

• Advertisement

kona wrote: »

I’m saying it’s not true

major bill wrote: »
    Well It’s a risky bit of PR! plenty of other places he could’ve given his money too!

Ronaldo is known for his charity work! regardless of how he might act on the pitch he’s a class act off it tbf to the guy!

You do know he admitted to raping a woman and you think he’s a class act

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I wonder what the money will be spent on? What do you think OP?

He’s accused of Rape show me a link where he admitted it??

Has he been convicted of rape?

• Advertisement

It’s in the official police documents . Google it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Italix

He's a rapist and supports terrorism, great.

I wonder what the money will be spent on? What do you think OP?

I assume your implying weapons?

Unless you can prove categorically that the donation is going to be spent on buying some form of weapons, your making an unsubstantiated claim.

Wonder how much of the Americans aid to the Israelis they spend on state of the art weaponary they use against unarmed civilians?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

And a lot less controversy.

It’s in the official police documents . Google it.

You said it so produce the link

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Supcycle

If it's on the internet it must be true

No. Im out of this thread . He’s too classy for me

Wonder how much of the Americans aid to the Israelis they spend on state of the art weaponary they use against in unarmed civilians?
    Yeah, Israeli weapons spending is ridiculous when you look at it outside of any context.

Then look at the history of the Jews over the past 80 years, 150 years, 200 years, 500 years... they've been blamed, vilified, expatriated and slaughtered through the ages. If there is one nation on this planet that needs protection, it's Israel.

I'd say this if Israel were situated within Alaska or in the South Pacific. It will always have its fair share of bigots trying to wipe it out; anti-semitism has been practicing its trade for thousands of years.

I won't be watching the Eurovision this year, and totally accept criticism (denouncement) of Israeli actions in Palestine. But denying Israel the right to defend itself? Nah, that's tantamount to a request for another attempted genocide in a list of attempts that is very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Ah, so he’s the one that financed the latest round of rocket attacks on Israel…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Has he been convicted of rape?

NOT YET.

They have re-opened the investigation though. He admits she said no to him. And he had previously paid her off for silence. He gave dna etc.

Also he weirdly admitted that he apologized to her after.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 474 ✭✭Former Observer

Classy individual. Unlike that meanspirited little dwarf messi.

Can’t back up the statement...bye

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

The man has a net worth of 450 million.
    He donated 1.5 million. That's 0.4% of his current net worth.

If I was lucky enough to have 5k in savings, it would be the equivalent of me donating 200 quid to a charity. Which I do every Christmas. I wonder should I hire a public relations consultant because I'm clearly not making enough headlines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Makes a claim, refuses to back it up, then runs away. You stay classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I thought my estimation of him couldn't go any lower

And now this

I know he is a soccer star, but the subject matter rises above the fact he is a sports celeb.

As the title says, Ronaldo has donated 1.5 mil to the Palestinians. I never realised Ronaldo supported the Palestinian cause. I'm not a big soccer fan and was even less so of Ronaldo, but I can honestly say I've find myself having a lot of respect for the guy now.

Why are his good deeds not widely reported in the press???? If you did something bad, the press would be all over it!

I'm not anti Semitic but I do have a huge issue with the Israeli governments policy towards Palestine as a whole. I can't fathom how a people who were so persecuted not so long ago can now effectively try and eradicate the palestians by land grabbing and displacement.

Story here:

https://www.telesurenglish.net/news/Cristiano-Ronaldo-Donates-1.5M-to-Palestine-for-Ramadan-20190516-0024.html?fbclid=IwAR04tx88_AkDYj-riq81CqxEGkKEApB-EudwBbYfjUJBHjiwLYOiU8Pd9JY

I have zero issue with people giving money to palestinians providing it goes to the people etc and not Hamas/fatah.

Israel has given gaza BACK to the Palestinians. They have withdrawn.

Hamas attacked Israel after they handed Gaza back. The thing that caused the most violence recently was giving land back to Palestinians.

Its not as simple as you think.

There are still west bank settlements though you might be thinking of them.

Plus years ago arab countries were on the side of palestine. That has changed now. Egypt now occupies part of the west bank.

Anyway Israeli and Palestine are trying to broker a ceasefire right now. Only fatah and hamas hate each other more than they hate israel apparently.

Hamas is willing to compromise with Israel ...but not with fatah.....UNBELIEVABLE but according to the latests talks its true.

https://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2019/05/gaza-islamic-jihad-egypt-palestinian-reconciliation-abbas.html

I don't know if people realize but its an important time and a lot is happening right now. Its not been in the news though. But Egypt is trying to broker a peace deal.

Fatah wants a diplomatic way hamas insists on armed resistance.

I support Israel by the way ...but i also support peace between palestinians and israelis in whatever form it needs to be.

I think people don't realize we don't live there...we don't know what its like for israelis to go into bomb shelters when the sirens go etc. And how emotional that might make a people.

I would say just after an attack if you ask Palestinians and Israelis their opinions on the streets you would get much more extreme answers than if you waited a few months. Its like the reaction after 9/11.

Yeah, Israeli weapons spending is ridiculous when you look at it outside of any context.

Then look at the history of the Jews over the past 80 years, 150 years, 200 years, 500 years... they've been blamed, vilified, expatriated and slaughtered through the ages. If there is one nation on this planet that needs protection, it's Israel.

I'd say this if Israel were situated within Alaska or in the South Pacific. It will always have its fair share of bigots trying to wipe it out; anti-semitism has been practicing its trade for thousands of years.

I won't be watching the Eurovision this year, and totally accept criticism (denouncement) of Israeli actions in Palestine. But denying Israel the right to defend itself? Nah, that's tantamount to a request for another attempted genocide in a list of attempts that is very long.

Of course the Israelis should be allowed to defend themselves. But you can hardly say the Israelis response to a Palestinian attack is proportionate!

I do not deny the Jews have had a hard time of it. But you have a country and its governments systematically eradicating the Palestinian presence in Israel.

The Israeli government is constantly changing the goal posts and constantly grabbing land.

Would you fight if someone tried to walk into your house and claim it as theirs because of their religion???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

What about that pyramid scheme Herbalife he endorses...

• Advertisement

If people want to give money to Palestinian hospitals etc and schools that's really cool tho in my book :)

I give to organizations that let Israeli kids and Palestinians meet each other and play etc.

Advertisement