Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas FM : Ireland's Christmas Station : 2010

• 28-11-2010 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

Christmas FM is on the air!

Frequencies are: Dublin - 89.9 | Limerick -105.5 | Cork -106.7 | Galway -89.5 | South East -103.8

The station can also be heard on http://www.christmasfm.ie/ and via an iPhone app available here.

It's just test transmissions for the moment, - the live broadcasts start with the Breakfast Show at 8am with Keith Shanley.

I'll be doing a show myself on Saturday nights from 8 to 10pm (still have to decide on a name for it.. suggestions appreciated!).

Texts to 57000 (start your message with "XMAS") will cost 1 euro and all profits will go to this year's charity partner, Barnardos. The station hopes to raise over €100,000 for them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ste88m

Hi,

Any way of getting involved with the station?

Ste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

great station/great cause.
    If volunteers needed I would also be willing to help out!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

ste88m wrote: »
    Hi,

Any way of getting involved with the station?

Ste.

Well they're going on air tomorrow morning so, as you can imagine, they have all the presenters, producers, etc. they need in place by now. The street promotion teams are being run by Barnardos themselves this year. In what way did you want to get involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ste88m

Bard wrote: »
    Well they're going on air tomorrow morning so, as you can imagine, they have all the presenters, producers, etc. they need in place by now. The street promotion teams are being run by Barnardos themselves this year. In what way did you want to get involved?

Should have looked into it earlier alright.

Presenting / News / Sport.

Then again, I'm also going to be away a fair bit in December so I might have to give it a miss.

Great station though, all the best to those involved.

Yes, it would have been good to have inquired earlier. Presenting is sorted and they won't be doing news/sport - well not in the 'traditional sense' anyway. There will be a news service similar to what they did last year, in that there will be "Christmas Stories" (A mixture of real and fantasy .. Christmas themed happy news which ignores anything too serious - i.e.: bailout/NAMA/politics etc.) and "Traffic & Travel" presented during the Breakfast show.

[EDIT]: Incidentally, it's been pointed out to me that, under the forum charter, this should be appearing in the "pimp my show" thread and not stickied. I believed that this station merited an exception to that rule and I think the reasons why are obvious (i.e.: because it's a temporary/charity station and a very good cause - not specifically because I'm involved in it!). The sticky will be removed in 4 weeks. If you wish to discuss this decision or any other charter/rules based decisions, do so via PM with the moderators, NOT on the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

whats the story with the Christmas Jumpers?
    Are they on sale yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Fave Christmas songs:

Wizzard
    (Roy Wood is a genius, when will X Factor discover the next Roy Wood??!!)

Elton John

Gilbert O'Sullivan - one we don't hear very often

and my Mum likes David Essex - Winter's Tale!

Schedule looks like this (for the first week anyway):

Weekdays:

Midnight - 7am : Overnight
    Automated
    7 - 10am : Christmas Breakfast
    Keith Shanley (Mon-Thu) and Garv Rigby (Fri)
    10am - 1pm: An All Christmas Morning
    Noel McCaul (Mon), Doug Murray (Tue), Jim Kenny (Wed & Thu) and Daragh O'Sullivan (Fri)
    1pm - 4pm: Christmas @ Work
    Niall Boylan (Mon & Thu), Isobel Tobin (Tue), Chris Barry (Wed & Fri)
    4pm - 7pm: Driving Home For Christmas
    Enda Caldwell (Mon & Wed), Mathieu Norrie (Tue), Chris Murray (Thu & Fri)
    7pm - 10pm: Jingle Bell Rock
    Niall Cassidy (Mon), Mike Eastwood (Tue), Noel McCaul (Wed & Thu), Stevie Bolger (Fri)
    10pm - Midnight: Christmas Classics
    Bernie Jameson (Mon), Lucianne White (Tue), Wendy Grace (Wed), Ray Jackson (Thu), Declan Ralph (Fri)

Saturday:

Automated
    7 - 10am : Winter Wonderland
    Dave Hynes
    10am - 12pm : Christmas Countdown
    Daragh O'Sullivan
    12pm - 5pm : Continuous Christmas Classics
    Jacki Ascough (12-2) & Lynsey Dolan (2-5)
    5pm - 8pm : Teatime Show*
    Mike Eastwood
    8pm - 10pm : Saturday Night Show*
    Niall O'Keeffe
    10pm - 1am : The Best Christmas Party Ever!
    Gary Matthews

*: Show name TBC

Sunday:

1am - 6am : Overnight
    Automated
    6am - 8am : Winter Wonderland Stupot
    Derek Jones
    8am - 12pm : Christmas Wishes
    Dave Hynes (8-10) & Damien Allen (10-12)
    Niall Cassidy (12-2) & Keith Shanley (2-5)
    5pm - 7pm : Teatime Show*
    Doug Murray
    7pm - 9pm : Sunday Evening Special Show*
    Walter Hegarty
    9pm - 10pm : Soul Christmas
    Chris Maher
    10pm - 1am : Easy Christmas
    Stevie Bolger

*: Show name TBC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

There's an iphone app, but has anyone successfully got it streaming on Android?

Had it playing on an app called yxplayer but it's all over the place and unlistenable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Schedule looks like this (for the first week anyway):

Weekdays:

Automated
    7 - 10am : Christmas Breakfast
    Keith Shanley (Mon-Thu) and Garv Rigby (Fri)
    10am - 1pm: An All Christmas Morning
    Noel McCaul (Mon), Doug Murray (Tue), Jim Kenny (Wed & Thu) and Daragh O'Sullivan (Fri)
    1pm - 4pm: Christmas @ Work
    Niall Boylan (Mon & Thu), Isobel Tobin (Tue), Chris Barry (Wed & Fri)
    4pm - 7pm: Driving Home For Christmas
    Enda Caldwell (Mon & Wed), Mathieu Norrie (Tue), Chris Murray (Thu & Fri)
    7pm - 10pm: Jingle Bell Rock
    Niall Cassidy (Mon), Mike Eastwood (Tue), Noel McCaul (Wed & Thu), Stevie Bolger (Fri)
    10pm - Midnight: Christmas Classics
    Bernie Jameson (Mon), Lucianne White (Tue), Wendy Grace (Wed), Ray Jackson (Thu), Declan Ralph (Fri)
    Saturday:

Automated
    7 - 10am : Winter Wonderland
    Dave Hynes
    10am - 12pm : Christmas Countdown
    Daragh O'Sullivan
    Jacki Ascough (12-2) & Lynsey Dolan (2-5)
    5pm - 8pm : Teatime Show*
    Mike Eastwood
    8pm - 10pm : Saturday Night Show*
    Niall O'Keeffe
    10pm - 1am : The Best Christmas Party Ever!
    Gary Matthews

Sunday:

1am - 6am : Overnight
    Automated
    6am - 8am : Winter Wonderland Stupot
    Derek Jones
    8am - 12pm : Christmas Wishes
    Dave Hynes (8-10) & Damien Allen (10-12)
    Niall Cassidy (12-2) & Keith Shanley (2-5)
    5pm - 7pm : Teatime Show*
    Doug Murray
    7pm - 9pm : Sunday Evening Special Show*
    Walter Hegarty
    9pm - 10pm : Soul Christmas
    Chris Maher
    10pm - 1am : Easy Christmas
    Stevie Bolger

Looking at the lineup and adding a few more names that I read are involved - Mike Maloney, Hugh O'Brien, Paul Scanlon, Electric Eddie, Simon Young, Tommy Green, Ray G, Brendan Flanagan and Andrea Hayes - it is possible to see a few patterns.

Firstly, there are a number of people in the lineup who were previously involved with other temporary-licenced stations.

Mike Maloney, Niall Boylan and Chris Barry - Real Radio
    Hugh O'Brien - Choice FM
    Simon Young - Hot Country
    Damien Allen - Choice FM and 949 The Rock
    Tommy Green - 949 The Rock
    Ray G - Premier FM and Play
    Garv Rigby and Daragh O Sullivan - Premier FM, Choice FM and 949 The Rock.
    Jim Kenny - Premier FM, Choice FM, Hot Country and very briefly behind the scenes Heartbeat FM
    Enda Caldwell - The Word, Choice FM, 949 The Rock, The 90s Network, Hot Country, Real Radio and Heartbeat FM
    Niall Cassidy - Premier FM, Hot Country and Heartbeat FM
    Bernie Jamieson - Choice FM and Premier FM
    Ray Jackson, Walter Hegarty, Derek Jones and Mike Eastwwod - Premier FM
    Dave Hynes - Premier FM, 949 The Rock, Hot Country and Heartbeat FM
    Niall O'Keeffe - Real Radio and Open FM
    Gary Matthews - Premier FM and Heartbeat FM...
    and AFAIK - Brendan Flanagan - Choice FM and 949 The Rock

There is also a strong correlation with Dublin's Country 106.8/Sunshine 106.8. The following have gone through that station (past or present): Mike Maloney, Hugh O'Brien, Andrea Hayes, Tommy Green, Keith Shanley, Noel McCaul, Niall Boylan, Chris Barry, Jim Kenny and Lynsey Dolan.

The following have done stints with 2FM: Mike Maloney, Hugh O'Brien, Electric Eddie, Simon Young and Paul Scanlon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Finally got it working on Android.

You need an app called XiaaLive Lite. And then the pls file should open and stream in that fine.

Declan,

Niall Boylan and Mike Moloney's are more than just temp station guys as I'm sure you know... Mike having had a late night 2FM show for years and currently presenting on Radio Nova and Niall (and Chris Barry) having a history with 98FM and FM104. Andrea Hayes also worked on Real Radio with the lads but has also worked with TV3.

I'm Niall O'Keeffe (*waves*) and while you have me listed with Real Radio and OpenFM (both temps which I was involved with), I'm currently doing freelance newsreading and production work with iRadio.

Declan,

Niall Boylan and Mike Moloney's are more than just temp station guys as I'm sure you know... Mike having had a late night 2FM show for years and currently presenting on Radio Nova and Niall (and Chris Barry) having a history with 98FM and FM104. Andrea Hayes also worked on Real Radio with the lads but has also worked with TV3.

I'm Niall O'Keeffe (*waves*) and while you have me listed with Real Radio and OpenFM (both temps which I was involved with), I'm currently doing freelance newsreading and production work with iRadio.

Hi Niall:
    Yes, I am aware of the other connections, and, in the case of Mike, I did mention 2FM. What I am attempting to do is show certain trends in the lineup, such as temporary stations (thanks for Andrea!) and 2FM amongst others. On the Dublin's Country/Sunshine 106.8 connection, I should have included Stevie Bolger.

You have just prompted me to think of connections to other local Dublin Stations.
    So, besides Country/Sunshine Mix, we have:
    Niall Boylan and Chris Barry - 98FM and FM104
    Mike Maloney and Hugh O'Brien - Lite FM and Radio Nova
    Jim Kenny - 98FM
    Tommy Green - Lite FM/Q102
    Chris Maher, Electric Eddie, Isobel Tobin, Lucianne White and Mathieu Norrie - Q102
    Ray G - FM104

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭mar1us

i'm new here just want to say xmas fm is great station i was listen last year too and iphone app works perfect on iphone.Keep up the good work lads!

Thinking I'm just going to call my show the Saturday Night Christmas Party... unless anyone suggests anything better in the meantime...

It is a good name!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Thinking I'm just going to call my show the Saturday Night Christmas Party... unless anyone suggests anything better in the meantime...

Good luck with that Xfactor slot bard.;)

The Muppet wrote: »
    Good luck with that Xfactor slot bard.;)

Cheers... :P

Planning to rip the p*ss out of the X Factor a LITTLE bit ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

Anyone know of a working URL for Christmas FM on an internet radio ?

The radio is a Revo blik and the portal is Frontier Silicon.

The URL saved from last year doesn't work this year. I have written to Christmas FM and have not received a reply. I have tried the PC streams and they don't work in the radio.

Thanks

UPDATE: Originally posted in seperate Christmas FM thread, before I noticed the sticky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I am very disappointed it is not receivable here in the Midlands.

I dunno... the Windows Media link (mms://christmas128.webworld.ie/christmas128) seems to be working fine for me... it IS a different stream to last year as far as I know.

BTW... I'm on at 8pm tonight and I'm making a phone call to the North Pole so that Santa can make a request ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Haddockman wrote: »
    Don't be. Your'e not missing much! :)

Haddockman wrote: »
    u have more option to listen,online or app for iphone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dingdingdink

Anyone know of a working URL for Christmas FM on an internet radio ?

I had the same problem - and have managed to get the following working within iTunes / RealPlayer:

http://217.115.113.212:8000/

Hope this works for you - Cheers.

Christmas FM are very good at securing the services of so many gainfully employed presenters for free. The following, for example, already currently have jobs with commercial radio stations: Enda Caldwell, Mike Maloney, Hugh O'Brien, Shane Pearse, Chris Murray, Jim Kenny, Tommy Greene, Chris Maher, Electric Eddie, Isobel Tobin, Lucianne White, Mathieu Norrie and Lynsey Dolan.

This is highly unusual for a temporary-licenced station. I think it has eveything to do with the nature of the station and that they are trying to raise funds for the less fortunate over the Christmas period.

I know from anecdotal evidence that there is a relatively high recognition factor for Christmas FM amongst the general listening public, something you normally do not see with other temporary stations. In fact, I have found that many people who have made the switch to Radio Nova were blissfully unaware of its near-relation temporary-licenced The Rock.

I suspect that this venture is going to run for some years yet.

I suspect that this venture is going to run for some years yet.

Totally agree with you! ... and long may it last :)

In fact, plenty of people are starting to see Christmas FM as an integral part of the festive season... in a "it wouldn't be Christmas without it" kind of way... which is nice :)

Christmas FM draws to a close this Sunday, St. Stephens Day, December 26th... it'll be replaced on the dial (in Dublin anyway) by Spirit Radio - so keeping the upbeat/positive vibe going on 89.9FM :)

Just a reminder that you can donate by texting a request (send "XMAS" followed by a space and your message to 57000) - all texts cost €1 and proceeds go to Barnardos - or by clicking the Donate Now link on www.christmasfm.ie

They're hoping to raise €100K this year.

Here's some bits from the show I did ... http://soundcloud.com/niallok/sets/christmas-fm-bits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

...and replaced in the South East, from Jan 1st, by Zenith Classic Rock!

A.

Advertisement