Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Echo FAQ

• 29-02-2016 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

Any fellow Irish users of this device?

It should be top of your list if you're into gadgets :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭paulbok

You're evil.
    I'd always ignore it, but now I've looked it up and seen what it can do and now I want one.

Can it play music from a home NAS or is it only from one's Amazon music account?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

No there's no playing local music at the moment, but who knows, they may release it at some stage - we never expected them to release Spotify compatibility, but they did!

Spotify works brilliantly, and I use Tunein for radio and podcasts.

I also have about a dozen sockets, light switches etc that it also controls for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Does it work out of the box here or doe you need a vpn/dns etc. Or a prime account?

Out of the box.
    It won't work with prime unless you have a US prime account.
    You'll need a US amazon account to link it to, that shouldn't be any great deal to setup if you don't have one.

Did you get yours direct from Amazon US or via eBay?

• Advertisement

I got it on Adverts, for a real good deal :-D

I'm actually going to get another one for the living room, and one each of the new ones released yesterday, just to check them out - when I can get someone to take them back from the states some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Apart from listening to music what do you use yours for?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I've searched adverts/donedeal with no joy. Will get one sent to relations in the states n get it sent over.. Been wanting to try one for a while.

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Apart from listening to music what do you use yours for?

Controlling all my sockets and light switches (lightwaverf/wemo/smartthings)
    You get a feature called 'Flash briefing' which you can get news roundups from various news sources (I tend to just use BBC) - so I'll ask for the news in the morning.
    You can also get weather reports if you wish.
    Listening to radio or my podcasts on Tunein
    Listening to my music collections on Spotify
    Spotify/Tunein I find great at night to doze off to a podcast or music, you can set a sleep timer so it'll stop after a half hour, or whatever.
    Setting reminders/calendar appointments/alarms/to-do list
    I actually use the shopping list feature too, I'll add to it whenever it think of anything and then I'll get it to email to me when I want it - eg "Alexa, put another amazon echo on my shopping list"

There are new features being added almost every week by Amazon, then there are also 'skills' (apps) being created by a growing dev community - albeit most of the skills at the moment are crap, IMO.

Biggest surprise to me with the Echo is the quality of the speech recognition, I'd put it far ahead of Google/Apple, it's quite amazing.

It actually took a bit of thought to put this list together tbh, it's just such a seamless part of my life now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Dr. Dre wrote: »
    Controlling all my sockets and light switches (lightwaverf/wemo/smartthings)

How did you get it to control Lightwaverf devices?

Do you still need the Lightwaverf Link or does Echo replace it?

I use some Lightwaverf products but it would be cool to be able to control them via voice.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

Ah, you still need the lwrf hub unfortunately. To be honest, it's a bit of work!

You will also need a smartthings hub, which acts as the intermediary between the echo and the lwrf hub. I've also setup a Ubuntu VM, running nodejs, to act as a sort of interpreter (for want of a better explanation) between smartthings and lwrf hub - I have a machine on 24/7 that runs various VM's for me (CCTV, media server etc etc) so it wasn't any big deal for me to spin up a dedicated VM, but like I said, a bit of work!

And all thanks to this chap here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNzh5PFaCDw

Ah, you still need the lwrf hub unfortunately. To be honest, it's a bit of work!

You will also need a smartthings hub, which acts as the intermediary between the echo and the lwrf hub. I've also setup a Ubuntu VM, running nodejs, to act as a sort of interpreter (for want of a better explanation) between smartthings and lwrf hub - I have a machine on 24/7 that runs various VM's for me (CCTV, media server etc etc) so it wasn't any big deal for me to spin up a dedicated VM, but like I said, a bit of work!

And all thanks to this chap here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNzh5PFaCDw

Lightwave announced last week that they are going the IFTTT route shortly so that might make things a little easier.
    IFTTT coming soon.

We are working hard to create new 'If this then that' channels. This will allow you to trigger LightwaveRF devices using third party systems via the 'IFTTT' website. We hope to have this up and running very soon, so please watch this space in the meantime for news.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I'm always a little nervous of the idea of those devices listening in on you, or someone hacking it and compromising your security in the way they do with baby webcams for instance. Is that a concern with something like this?

Lightwave announced last week that they are going the IFTTT route shortly so that might make things a little easier.

:D I've been dealing with LW for a the best part of a decade, I've learned to take all they say with a pinch of the proverbial :) - they have so royally f****d the marketing of their products, it's mind-bending.
    IFTTT integration is something that should've happened years ago when it became a hit, a similar story I would suggest with smartthings - which looks like it could have legs.
    They could/should piggy back on the success of these kinda things imo.

I'm always a little nervous of the idea of those devices listening in on you, or someone hacking it and compromising your security in the way they do with baby webcams for instance. Is that a concern with something like this?

Well, obviously it is in listening mode all the time, according to Amazon, when it hears the wake word it will send the previous few seconds of audio (just BEFORE the wake word) to the cloud for processing.
    Me personally, I don't worry about it, online privacy is a myth tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Emmo-m-

Is there anyway other than eBay to purchase one?

Also Dr.Dre you mentioned you use it with your wemo light switches. Where did you get them as I can't seem to find them anywhere online other than the US sites.

Maplin stock Wemo stuff. I'm afraid ebay is the only way at the moment, but they go for premium prices!

:D I've been dealing with LW for a the best part of a decade, I've learned to take all they say with a pinch of the proverbial :) - they have so royally f****d the marketing of their products, it's mind-bending.
    IFTTT integration is something that should've happened years ago when it became a hit, a similar story I would suggest with smartthings - which looks like it could have legs.
    They could/should piggy back on the success of these kinda things imo.

The start of better things from Lightwave maybe?
    IFTTT Launch
    IFTTT is finally here. Today we are launching the first LightwaveRF Channel: Lighting. This allows you to control LightwaveRF dimmers, in-line dimmers and dimmable plugins using recipes from the IFTTT website. Power and heating channels, along with other LightwaveRF functions, are due to follow and will be released on a fortnightly basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Want to get one of these. Hearing great stuff about them.
    Not signed up with Amazon for anything apart from Kindle and my Amazon shopping account. Any ideas how i'd get one.
    Adverts?
    Ebay?
    Thanks

EBay is prob ur best bet. I've ordered one from Amazon US and getting it sent to family in the states to send on.. I ordered it 3 weeks ago and it still hasn't shipped... Either their production rate is low or they constantly sell out of them.

• Advertisement

The start of better things from Lightwave maybe?

Perhaps! Although they did promise IFTTT integration 3/4 years ago ;)

Anyway, I already have the other solution (as mentioned previously) which is working supremely and negates the latency associated with both IFTTT and LWRF.

unklerosco wrote: »
    EBay is prob ur best bet. I've ordered one from Amazon US and getting it sent to family in the states to send on.. I ordered it 3 weeks ago and it still hasn't shipped... Either their production rate is low or they constantly sell out of them.

Yeah, I'm not sure what their game is here, but anytime they get stock, they're sold out in like a day or two. You know you can buy them at several bricks and mortar stores across the US? The likes of Staples, Best Buy etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭paulbok

Is there a dedicated home automation thread on boards? I've had a quick look and have only found different discussions across various forums, and most are old.

Perhaps! Although they did promise IFTTT integration 3/4 years ago ;)

Anyway, I already have the other solution (as mentioned previously) which is working supremely and negates the latency associated with both IFTTT and LWRF.

Lightwave have released their 2nd IFTT channel today for power.

So that's lights, power, with heating to follow soon.
    Today we are launching another new LightwaveRF Channel – ‘Power’. This will allow you to control LightwaveRF sockets, in-line relays and plugins using IFTTT recipes. The ‘Heating’ channel, along with other LightwaveRF functions, is due to follow next.

Got my Echo today... have spent the last while asking it all the questions I can think of. I never knew Everest was the highest mountain but not the tallest. God bless technology!

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Arbie

unklerosco wrote: »
    Got my Echo today... have spent the last while asking it all the questions I can think of. I never knew Everest was the highest mountain but not the tallest. God bless technology!

Any trouble with the Irish accent?

I tend to mumble a bit, unless I'm making an effort! - I rarely have issues.
    Plus I know of people all over UK, and indeed I've seen Germans and French claim to use it, in whatever English accent they have

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Anyone made one with a raspberry pi?

Arbie wrote: »
    Any trouble with the Irish accent?

None at all..

Anyone know how you set the location on it to Dublin?

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement