Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rikand's Walrus Reveal!

• 04-07-2019 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome Welcome Welcome to Rikand's Walrus Reveal!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSJHyPLiNL5rcATNg5sYO9maad-kOmcKt3uHwM-yuvtyphrp8GREg

First of all, let me just say how much I really really appreciate, that nobody submitted Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah. Of all the cover versions i have ever heard, it is hands down my absolute 100% least favourite cover version of all time. One person almost submitted it and if they had stuck with it, I would have awarded them -200 points. That is how much i despise the song.

And its not that I hate Jeff Buckley or Leonard Cohen, I don't. I just HATE that version of the song. I mean, I dont like any version of that song that has been done by anybody, but the Jeff Buckley version is my least favourite cover version of a song ever. And I love other Jeff Buckley stuff, like Grace and Last Goodbye, but Hallelujah, like........ Jesus......
    Just let me catch a moment here cause I'm actually shaking my head and grinding my teeth, such is my hatred for the song

and......

..... well maybe I should stop dwelling on this and just get ready to get on with the reveal :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

When I think of great cover versions, two songs that always come to my mind are these ones

For me, they hit the sweet spot as regards cover versions. They are both a different style compared to the original. Betoko's being a loungy chilled out house style and Seether's being rock. Both of them absolutely blew me away when I first heard them. The Seether track was just something that I did not expect and I instantly loved it. And while I adore George Michaels, the cover version just brought a dimension to the song I didnt know there could be...... and I loved it!
    Wicked game I listened to on repeat for days, weeks in fact and I never got sick or tired of it. It was just my jam, sweet flavoursome jam. Just a beautifully mixed piece of music with Gemma Hayes' incredible vocals.

So anyways, enough about what I love from my past, lets get on with the present and see is there anything I'm going to listen for the future!

Here are 15 songs that I think are all better than Hallelujah, though one of them, not by much ... :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

This is gonna be fun :D

No gifs from me though I'm on mobile this eve :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,626 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I'm nervous!

...and excited

Ah man, I’m fecked already :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Is anyone tempted to post Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah just to see Rikand have another rant?

No?

Just me then :P

• Advertisement

Structure of reveals ::

Position : Name of song

My thoughts on the song

Song link

Points earned and name of the person in a spoiler, just for that little bit of secrecy for the rest of the entrants as things are revealed :D

15th place :: I am the walrus - Oasis (Beatles Cover Version)

Let me continue my controversial thoughts with something else controversial. I'm not a big fan of the Beatles. My mother loved the Beatles growing up and when I came home one day saying i liked the beatles, she was thrilled. That Christmas I then got beatles guitar learning books (because I play guitar), song books, lyrics books and all sorts. However, I only really like the beatles because my friends were all wetting themselves over that Beatles Anthology thing that was released in the late 90's, early 00's time frame. It was a time when I had to hide my obsession with electronic music so I just liked whatever my friends liked to fit in with the crowd :)

Anyways, our 15th place entrant submitted a song that was originally by The Beatles and then covered by a band who I also dont have a whole pile of love for, Oasis. Like, I like Noel and when he was left to sing shows by himself, i actually thought he was quite good. And while yes Liam sings some songs very well, I cant help but feel that he is a total pretentious wanker of the highest order and the way he strains out his vocals in this song just makes me want to smash him in the face repeatedly with the underside of a toilet seat. I do like some Oasis songs though. Dont look back in anger for example, but a lot of them, like this cover version, I could have done without in my life :)

15th place - 1 point to
    Necro

Lol don’t hold back, Rikand.

Awww :(

Admittedly I only entered it as I couldn't get it out of my head in conjunction with the game name :pac:

I dont really like it myself!

Not sure if the guy who suggested my next offering is in thread, but based on what I described above, he might having one or two regrets, lol.

• Advertisement

Necro wrote: »
    Awww :(

Admittedly I only entered it as I couldn't get it out of my head in conjunction with the game name :pac:

I dont really like it myself!

Sorry necro, but thats what you get for threatening to post Hallelujah on thread :P

14th Place :: Mother Nature's Son - Harry Nilsson (Beatles Cover Version)

Another Beatles cover and you know, it's not terrible. The singer is a GREAT hummer. Like he has a beautiful silky voice and he hums a tune, really really well but it just didn't do it for me at all. Just not my thing and just not for me. Sorry :)

14th place - 2 points to
    Pretzil

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Knew I was sunk after the first reveal (not a guy btw :)) do love Nillsson though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Oh this is going to be interesting. I was seriously torn between 2 songs for this one and have constantly kicked myself for not submitting the other one. :D

13th Place :: SOS - Portishead (ABBA Cover Version)

I used to love Portishead growing up. Dummy was a brilliant album and Only You was easily my favourite song of theirs. But this cover version of SOS just doesnt work for me. SOS is probably one of my favourite ABBA songs but Portisheads style, just does not translate well across in this song for me.

13th place - 3 points to
    Electric Nitwit

I_M_AS_MAD_AS_HELL.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Oh love me some Portishead. Was listening to Dummy the other day.

Oh jeez I can't believe two Beatles songs are behind an ABBA cover - I should just give up now :(

Pretzill wrote:
    Oh jeez I can't believe two Beatles songs are behind an ABBA cover - I should just give up now

That's half the fun though. I'm probably gonna give one of these a lash when I get home, will have to get my critic hat on though :)

To defend my choice...

If you read the lyrics to SOS without knowing the tune, then heard ABBA you'd wonder if they understood it. The Portishead version delivers those words the way they should be delivered. It's fragile, it's heartbreaking. And Beth's voice is one of the finest things on this planet

• Advertisement

12th place :: Johnny Cash - Mercy Seat (Nick Cave Cover Version)

I like Johnny Cash. My brother in law is a massive fan and I have listened to a lot of Cash hanging around with him. I love some of the cover versions that he has done. Hurt is obviously brilliant. Personal Jesus is fantastic! Something that Necro and Pretzil could have submitted that would have scored well is In My Life https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYzEIIx_KHg I just love the song and it is a beatles song that I love also. But I think the way Cash sings the song as someone of an older generation who has done it all, unlike Lennon who was planning his future, is what makes it so special. But I digress....

Mercy Seat for me, just doesnt work with his voice the way some other cover versions do. The 3 songs listed above are cash telling a story, but I feel like Mercy Seat is cash going through the motions. It feels forced. And I dont really like the original either, so its not a case of liking the Original or the cover more, I just dont like either.

12th place - 4 points to
    osh

To defend my choice...

If you read the lyrics to SOS without knowing the tune, then heard ABBA you'd wonder if they understood it. The Portishead version delivers those words the way they should be delivered. It's fragile, it's heartbreaking. And Beth's voice is one of the finest things on this planet

I cant agree more with regard to Beth's voice. Like i said, I loved Dummy and Only You is a great favourite song of mine. I just didnt feel that song worked for me :)

Rikand wrote: »
    I cant agree more with regard to Beth's voice. Like i said, I loved Dummy and Only You is a great favourite song of mine. I just didnt feel that song worked for me :)

That's OK, you're allowed to be wrong ;)

It should be noted that I am not one of the great musical masterminds of the world. I'm never going to be a musical critic. You won't see me writing articles in NME or Hot Press or presenting segments on radio. I just like what I like :)

I'm not a huge Beatles fan either in fairness, Johnny Cash less so - but it's all subjective :)

Looking forward to seeing the top cover here.

If you have an interest in running your own Walrus game, then go to the thread here :: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110609376#post110609376

It has worked pretty well on another forum I post on where we play Walrus to keep track of walruses as they run. There should never be more than 2 running concurrently as Saturation can set in and people need time to replenish their stocks of songs to fit categories :D

Pretzill wrote:
    I'm not a huge Beatles fan either in fairness, Johnny Cash less so - but it's all subjective

Yeah see I dunno how well I'll score as tbh I just picked songs I really liked (or thought were funny in some cases ;) ), I didn't per se take into account Rikand's tastes lol.

But tis all a bit of fun at the end of the day imo :D

Rikand wrote:
    It has worked pretty well on another forum I post on where we play Walrus to keep track of walruses as they run. There should never be more than 2 running concurrently as Saturation can set in and people need time to replenish their stocks of songs to fit categories

Fear not, I'm on holidays for another 2 weeks so I'm imagining yours will be well and truly done by the time I get around to it :D

Necro wrote: »
    Yeah see I dunno how well I'll score as tbh I just picked songs I really liked (or thought were funny in some cases ;) ), I didn't per se take into account Rikand's tastes lol

Me too, would be cheating otherwise!

I think #1 was my best chance, it could get messy for me

• Advertisement

11th Place :: Fields of Gold - Eva Cassidy. (Sting Cover Version)

I'm a massive Sting and The Police fan, so any submission covering a song by Sting would have to be quite different from the way he sings songs to register a feeling that the version was done better and for me, this was just a good female vocal essentially sounding the same as the original piece. A decent cover, but it didn't really set my world alight in any sort of way.

11th place - 5 points to
    tritium

Advertisement