Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where Do I Source This Paint?

• 21-04-2010 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭

Color Name Fisher "WA" Code Ditzler "DDL" Code DuPont "Luctie" Code
    19 Starlight Black 848 9300 99
    50 Solar Gold 8063 3071 45278

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

have you tried Vinny Byrne?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Never heard of him until now Colm!

I'll mail them now! ;)

Any factors who mix paint should be able to make that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

+1 You have codes, so any Motor Factors who have a Paint mixing system should be able to do that in a heartbeat.

Bear in mind that although you have a code, you don't have a colour match. For example, Toyota's platinum colour - 1C0 has about 10 variant shades, even though they're all known by the same colour code. The Motor Factors should have colour swatches you can compare to your paintwork to find the closest match in terms of colour, and the size of the grain of the paint.

+1 You have codes, so any Motor Factors who have a Paint mixing system should be able to do that in a heartbeat.

Bear in mind that although you have a code, you don't have a colour match. For example, Toyota's platinum colour - 1C0 has about 10 variant shades, even though they're all known by the same colour code. The Motor Factors should have colour swatches you can compare to your paintwork to find the closest match in terms of colour, and the size of the grain of the paint.

I noticed that on another site, the GM Code is WA0848 but that covers numerous shades of black used from 54-85.
    http://corvetteattitude.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?gmcode=WA0848&page=1&rows=50

The codes I gave above are specific to a 77 T/A.

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Are you doing the work yourself, is it a repair or a complete respray?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

You can still get 2 pack in Halfords as far as I know, it's a lot easier to use than waterbased for a diy job.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Are you doing the work yourself, is it a repair or a complete respray?

I would call it an upgrade! The car is a 79 Trans Am which I bought a couple years back pretty much at the peak. As with all luxuries it's taken a hit in value but I'm happy to hold on to it as it's very tight, runs like a watch, etc. The only thing that bothers me is that I prefer the 77 model which had a different (fiberglass) nose and rear - both which I have acquired at good prices. They'll never match up colour wise though and the rest of the body is gone dull after 30 years so I may as well do the whole car. I'm not going bare metal (as I can't afford too!), it will be exterior only but what I want to do is supply all the parts, paint and decals in order to keep the cost down.

are you sure you can get the paint for less than the spray painter can?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I wouldn't bother. The difference in the price of paint will be negligible, the majority of the cost will be prep work and labour.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    are you sure you can get the paint for less than the spray painter can?

That's what I intend to find out! I've plenty of contacts who can source it for me considering the info above, I just wasn't sure if I would have to ship it as it's an unusual order as such. What I don't have is a personal contact for the job itself so he will surely have his own mark up on material. Now that I know it can be mixed locally I'm in a much better position and can't be told that it's a 'special order'.

If you are trying to save a few quid best tactic is to find a factors that can mix it, call in on a Saturday when they only have counter sales (none of the reps will be out and about dealing with the trade folk obviously) and with some haggling you should get a good trade price for the paint. A couple of hundred cash in over the counter on a Saturday is worth its weight in gold. Possible stumbling block is the Saturday paint dude may be a numpty but mixing paint is very easy so unless he is a lazy carless bastad you should be fine. If you can't get it cheaper than RRP than there is f all saving to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

RoverJames wrote: »
    carless bastad .

never trust autofactor people with no cars

Thanks guys!

never trust autofactor people with no cars

I left out the e, in case folk actually think I was on about carless bastads working in a factors on a Saturday, I was one of them for 3 years or so once upon a time, happy days really :)

Advertisement