Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

An Post/Unsolicited Mail

• 13-07-2007 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭

Quick question about An Post and unsolicited mail.

Saw our postman this morning and he popped a few letters into our postbox.

Went to get them and turns out all he was delivering was some unaddressed
    flyers for Concern, some recycling flyer and a leaflet from another charity.

Should An Post be delivering this unsolicited letters/flyers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

they get paid alot to do it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Yep, they're allowed to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

stick a big sign up in your porch reading 'no junk mail', worked for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Other side of the spectrum: I sent a small package to a friend in Cork (as in, something in a medium-sized padded envelope) on the morning of June 25th. Did it in the GPO. My friend got it last Wednesday (July 11). Over two weeks! The reason was because I added an extra line to the address, which was correct and would surely have made things even easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭markpb

Apparently the postman in my hometown was removing all the spam and advertising from people's post, puting it in a bag and dumping it in a bog outside the town. Had been successfully un-spamming people for years before he was found out and fired.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

markpb wrote:
    Apparently the postman in my hometown was removing all the spam and advertising from people's post, puting it in a bag and dumping it in a bog outside the town. Had been successfully un-spamming people for years before he was found out and fired.
    The guy deserves a medal not a p45.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

The guy deserves a medal not a p45.

For littering?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

wow, I was unaware that it was the postman that was pushing the leaflets and sh1te through the letterbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

I register everywhere I can for junk mail.

Burn it in the auld Treehugger2000 and heat the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Saint_Mel wrote:
    some recycling flyer
    Was it made from 100% recycled paper?:confused:
    :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

markpb wrote:
    Our postie is also innovative. He has saved us the hassle of signing for registered letters by doing it himself and then dropping them in the letterbox!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Dudess wrote:
    Other side of the spectrum: I sent a small package to a friend in Cork (as in, something in a medium-sized padded envelope) on the morning of June 25th. Did it in the GPO. My friend got it last Wednesday (July 11). Over two weeks! The reason was because I added an extra line to the address, which was correct and would surely have made things even easier.
    You added "Ireland, Earth, The Universe" didn't you?

I used to design flyers for dispatch as junk mail... there a good few restrictions that An Post has on what they'll deliver though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

Here's a quick guide about how to stop the receipt of unsolicited mail through the Mail preference service.

Usually straight forward enough

Mods: better suited to biz > consumer > comsumer issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Gather up all your unsolicited mail, mark it as 'unwanted mail return to sender' and post in nearest letter box. Or go through mail to find a freepost envelope that you dont need, fill it with your junk mail and post. Shame to see those freepost letters going to waste and its getting embarrasing visiting the postoffice when using them to post larger unwanted items.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

You added "Ireland, Earth, The Universe" didn't you?
    :D Inniscarra - same thing!

Advertisement