Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If you got AZ then you'll be called on schedule which is 12 weeks after the first jab. You won't get a different one.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Donutz

Mumser wrote: »
    Has anyone had an experience of not being able to attend their allotted vaccination appointment? Were you able to reschedule?

I got my first shot of Az a couple of weeks ago. I’ve no idea if I’ll be getting a second shot of it or if I’ll get a Pfizer jab. So I am unsure when I’ll get my second appointment. It is looking like we may have inter county travel in June and I am chomping at the bit to get away from Dublin for a break. Looking on Airbnb July and August appear booked out and June is very limited. So I want to book a week in June now. If my appointment arrives for sometime that week I’m nervous about the consequences. June 3rd would be 12 weeks since my first jab. Were they keeping to 12 weeks exactly? I know Pfizer was 4 weeks to the day.

Any ideas are welcome.

You'll definitely be getting the second dose of AZ if you recieved a first dose of it.

As for the 12 weeks, the guy that gave me my jab told my that it would be 12 weeks to the day but I haven't heard of anybody who have recieved a 2nd dose of AZ yet so we'll have to wait and see.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Boom, getting it this Sunday, I am ecstatic. St. James vaccination center, which as far as I can tell is just on the main concourse of the hospital. Hopefully that means anyone else from here from St. James is soon to get the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Donutz wrote: »
    You'll definitely be getting the second dose of AZ if you recieved a first dose of it.

As for the 12 weeks, the guy that gave me my jab told my that it would be 12 weeks to the day but I haven't heard of anybody who have recieved a 2nd dose of AZ yet so we'll have to wait and see.

did you get your first dose before or after they stopped giving it to the under 60s?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Taeholic

Has anyone had an experience of not being able to attend their allotted vaccination appointment? Were you able to reschedule?

I got my first shot of Az a couple of weeks ago. I’ve no idea if I’ll be getting a second shot of it or if I’ll get a Pfizer jab. So I am unsure when I’ll get my second appointment. It is looking like we may have inter county travel in June and I am chomping at the bit to get away from Dublin for a break. Looking on Airbnb July and August appear booked out and June is very limited. So I want to book a week in June now. If my appointment arrives for sometime that week I’m nervous about the consequences. June 3rd would be 12 weeks since my first jab. Were they keeping to 12 weeks exactly? I know Pfizer was 4 weeks to the day.

Any ideas are welcome.

I was told mine would be 12 weeks to the day. I'm not sure if you can reschedule sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Taeholic

CramCycle wrote: »
    Boom, getting it this Sunday, I am ecstatic. St. James vaccination center, which as far as I can tell is just on the main concourse of the hospital. Hopefully that means anyone else from here from St. James is soon to get the call.

Delighted for you CramCycle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭wiz569

My wife is getting hers tomorrow, referred from Tallaght hospital clinic.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

I was called by my gp for vaccination on Wed as I'm type 1. I'm already fully vaccinated because of my work. But they must be flying through the vulnerable category now.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mumser

I was also called by my GP practice yesterday too but I got my first shot of Az through my diabetes centre nearly two weeks ago. It was two days prior to the halt on Az for under 60s.

Good news, bad news who knows. Was glad to get called but now I won’t be fully vaccinated until sometime in July and with a lower efficacy than friends and family who are not high risk. It is all relative though! My heart goes out to those suffering in India. Very scary and sad reading of the awful situation there.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Johann.

Still waiting for a call, having been put forward by Beaumount. Delighted for all who have been called :)

• Advertisement

I was also called by my GP practice yesterday too but I got my first shot of Az through my diabetes centre nearly two weeks ago. It was two days prior to the halt on Az for under 60s.

Good news, bad news who knows. Was glad to get called but now I won’t be fully vaccinated until sometime in July and with a lower efficacy than friends and family who are not high risk. It is all relative though! My heart goes out to those suffering in India. Very scary and sad reading of the awful situation there.

I would still see it as good news, the lower efficacy is still substantially better than many common vaccines and provides what appears to be good protection for almost everyone against the most serious of side effects of Covid 19. I am not a gambling man but the odds are in your favour in comparison to a) not getting one and b) negligible difference to getting a different one or being fully protected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭uli84

Heard nothing from nowhere regarding the vaccine, i am with Mater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

T2 Diabetic.
    On tuesday got a text. Vax appointment organised by clinic in Tallaght hospital, for today in Citywest. In at 8.15am, out the door on way home at 9.15am Moderna vaccine.
    Didnt feel a thing. Happy days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The reports from family and friends on Moderna have been just dodgy arms the next day, one friend being a vet in the middle of an operation when their arm went a bit weird. But more symptoms from the second dose, which sounded similar to what I had from Astra Zeneca from my first dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

How were you notified?

Congrats btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mumser

I would still see it as good news, the lower efficacy is still substantially better than many common vaccines and provides what appears to be good protection for almost everyone against the most serious of side effects of Covid 19. I am not a gambling man but the odds are in your favour in comparison to a) not getting one and b) negligible difference to getting a different one or being fully protected.

Thanks CramCycle. Good to have realistic and fairly accurate perspectives on this.

Keeping fingers crossed for anyone waiting to get an appointment. It will happen soon, as someone said above the vaccination rollout seems to be picking up momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

Phonecall last night vaccine for sunday at James. Delighted

How were you notified?

Congrats btw!

Phone call, I thought it was my bike shop, rang me at 9pm. Rang back, first time someone actually understood GDPR regs on the phone, gave a list of queries, have you symptoms, covid, have you ever had it, have you been on any "tropical" holidays, (to which I burst into laughter). Said I would receive 2 texts detailing date, time and other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I had my 1st dose of AZ via a vaccination centre on the 25/3.
    Info was forwarded to them via my Diabetes Clinic.

There is a gap in the system however.
    I had a call from my GP this morning offering me a vaccine via the GP led programme.

That, and another issue with blood test results earlier today have me fairly convinced that a move towards a fully integrated electronic health record system is not only sorely needed but, that it could easily save vast amounts of duplication.

The example I'd offer is this.
    I had blood tests carried out in the Diabetes Clinic on the 25/3.
    Some of those tests were pertinent to ongoing symptoms.

I visited my GP regarding the symptoms and he was ordering the same panel of blood tests.
    Told him that I've just had those done.
    He answered, no good to him as whilst he can see the results for tests he had ordered via the I-Lab system.
    He has no visibility of any hospital ordered tests or records on I-Lab.

So I rang the Diabetes team, who claimed that of course the GP can see the results, he just needs to input my hospital chart number.
    I was sitting with him when he tried that, it didn't work.
    The practice nurse rang the phlebotomy lab, and managed to get the results that way.

Now from a purely workflow and time and management view?
    This is a massively wasteful use of resources.
    An e-health record with a single patient identifier carried across the system would quickly make all results, reports, prescriptions and notes available at all treatment points.
    This is surely a no-brainer in this day and age?
    It also goes a long way towards ensuring patient safety, preventing prescription surfing and duplication of tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

banie01 wrote: »
    That, and another issue with blood test results earlier today have me fairly convinced that a move towards a fully integrated electronic health record system is not only sorely needed but, that it could easily save vast amounts of duplication.

The example I'd offer is this.
    I had blood tests carried out in the Diabetes Clinic on the 25/3.
    Some of those tests were pertinent to ongoing symptoms.

I visited my GP regarding the symptoms and he was ordering the same panel of blood tests.
    Told him that I've just had those done.
    He answered, no good to him as whilst he can see the results for tests he had ordered via the I-Lab system.
    He has no visibility of any hospital ordered tests or records on I-Lab.

So I rang the Diabetes team, who claimed that of course the GP can see the results, he just needs to input my hospital chart number.
    I was sitting with him when he tried that, it didn't work.
    The practice nurse rang the phlebotomy lab, and managed to get the results that way.

Now from a purely workflow and time and management view?
    This is a massively wasteful use of resources.
    An e-health record with a single patient identifier carried across the system would quickly make all results, reports, prescriptions and notes available at all treatment points.
    This is surely a no-brainer in this day and age?
    It also goes a long way towards ensuring patient safety, preventing prescription surfing and duplication of tests.

The way it works is, laboratory results go back to the requesting consultant or GP that is on the request form.

Staff in the hospital can look up a patients inpatient, outpatient or GP blood test results, but GPs can only see the results of patients that were entered under their name and practice.

There is a laboratory information system called MedLis in development where everyone would have one unique identification number so their GP, local hospital and other consultants they may be under can all access their results and prevent duplications. It has been talked about for years but is nowhere near deployment.

https://www.ehealthireland.ie/strategic-programmes/national-medical-laboratory-information-system-medlis-/

• Advertisement

Vast duplication in the HSE? Never! :D

They have the IT of the IT Crowd series one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The way it works is, laboratory results go back to the requesting consultant or GP that is on the request form.

Staff in the hospital can look up a patients inpatient, outpatient or GP blood test results, but GPs can only see the results of patients that were entered under their name and practice.

Thanks Martina, always nice to get a pro's input :)

I was aware of the above, that my GP could only see his orders, but the hospital would see all via their lab.

The Diabetes team in the hospital were adamant the GP had visibility of the hospital ordered tests too via I-Lab.
    They don't, the system is as you've described.

Luckily we managed to work around it without me needing to get pricked again :D
    But I can't help wonder how someone who didn't know the system, or wasn't quite as comfortable with their GP would react to being told by the hospital that the GP has the results, but the GP saying (Rightly too) nope, they're wrong I can't see them.
    Then redoing the same tests?

It's almost designed to infuriate ;)

Vast duplication in the HSE? Never! :D

They have the IT of the IT Crowd series one.

I think you are insulting the characters in the IT crowd to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

wiz569 wrote: »
    My wife is getting hers tomorrow, referred from Tallaght hospital clinic.

Do you mind me asking where she was referred to from Tallaght hospital clinic
    Is it to her GP or to a centre ? And is she group 4 or Group 7 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Donutz

did you get your first dose before or after they stopped giving it to the under 60s?

I got it before the stopped giving it to under 60s. I'm only 40 myself.
    From what I gather, as long as you haven't recieved any adverse reaction to the first dose, you're good to go with the 2nd no matter what age you are.

I think you are insulting the characters in the IT crowd to be honest.

Well maybe not

IT-Crowd-The-Internet-Is-Coming.jpg?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭wiz569

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking where she was referred to from Tallaght hospital clinic
    Is it to her GP or to a centre ? And is she group 4 or Group 7 ?

She was referred to the Citywest Hotel vaccination centre, she would be group 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

wiz569 wrote: »
    She was referred to the Citywest Hotel vaccination centre, she would be group 4.

Thank you . Glad she is getting it sorted . A family member attends there but is in Group 7

Well maybe not
    I stand over my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Well maybe not

IT-Crowd-The-Internet-Is-Coming.jpg?

jen was an IT manager. they are well known to be idiots. the guys themselves knew what they were doing.

Advertisement