Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2008 Playoff Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

And the Phillies are in the World Series!

They've dominated the Dodgers for the series, and win 4-1, taking the last game 5-1. That's their first pennant since 1993 :)

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Rays join them tomorrow night. If the BoSox win tomorrow then there's no way the Rays will let a second chance slip back in the Trop.

It would be nice to see two new(ish) teams in the WS, although I'm sure the TV men won't be thrilled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

juvenal wrote: »
    And the Phillies are in the World Series!

Shhh! Don't tell Zuutroy, but there was a TON of Champagne there. ;)

WYK

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

wyk wrote: »
    Shhh! Don't tell Zuutroy, but there was a TON of Champagne there. ;)

WYK

:( Oh well, at least Matt Stairs will be able to recount to his friends at the Blue Jays what the WS is like. So much for pitching wins championships. Joe Blanton, Jamie Moyer, Brett Myers? :rolleyes:

zuutroy wrote: »
    :( Oh well, at least Matt Stairs will be able to recount to his friends at the Blue Jays what the WS is like. So much for pitching wins championships. Joe Blanton, Jamie Moyer, Brett Myers? :rolleyes:

Jis got done watching the Red Sox V NYY 4/22/08 game or 22/4/08 for non-native baseballers ;)
    INCREDIBLE game.

Too bad bout the Sox this year. But go Phillies! I'm an old Mike Schmidt fan(and Pete Rose while he was with em, including back in 1980).

BTW, REINSTATE PETE ROSE! Pull that slimy bastard Shoeless Joe out of the HOF and put Pete in!

Wes

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Kinda32

Hopefully Dice-K can continue the series tonight.. Sox hitters need to do something at the plate. The last couple of games have seemed over after a couple of inns. Hopefully the crowd is in to it tonight cause fenway has never seemed so flat as the last couple of games (of course the team's play hasn't helped)..

p.s Shoeless Joe isn't in the hall of fame and seeing as the phillies were started in the 19th century, i don't think they would ever be considered a newish team!!

Come on the Sox!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Kinda32 wrote: »
    Hopefully Dice-K can continue the series tonight.. Sox hitters need to do something at the plate. The last couple of games have seemed over after a couple of inns. Hopefully the crowd is in to it tonight cause fenway has never seemed so flat as the last couple of games (of course the team's play hasn't helped)..

Indeed, although I just think we'll be delaying the inevitable :(
    p.s Shoeless Joe isn't in the hall of fame and seeing as the phillies were started in the 19th century, i don't think they would ever be considered a newish team!!

Come on the Sox!!!!!!

I meant "newish" in a success way - pennants and/or world series rings. Makes it a bit more interesting when the teams are outside of the traditional markets, i.e. Boston/NY/Chicago.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Kinda32

Indeed, although I just think we'll be delaying the inevitable

Agree there, don't think we will see any comebacks like 1999, 2003, 2004 or 2007 this year..

To be fair to the rays, they have simply been the better team so far..

Hopefully Dice-K can continue the series tonight..

Come on the Sox!!!!!!

OK, KEEP Sheoless Joe out, and let Rose in! Or pull someone like Gossage out(truly an indication they are running out of choices...) ;)

As for the phillies - They were known as the Phillies officially in 1890.

Go Phillies!
    Phillies_wordmark.PNG

WYK

lol 1993. Thats all I got left.

WTF!?!

Top 1st, second batter, one on, BJ Upton puts a pitch into the seats atop the monster! Rays are up 2-0 in top 1 with none out.

Unreal the starts they've been having in the games here, they've been over by the 6th - they're slugging at everything and it's paying off :eek:

• Advertisement

FFS! More back-to-back homers for the Rays - Pena and Longoria. Three homers off Dice-K tonight, they're playing unbelievable baseball, it's like batting practise!

Top 3rd, TB 5 BOS 0

Sensational comeback! I went to bed at bottom 6, got up again at top 8 and watched the rest of it. Boston have been ****e for about 24 innings, and then something lights a fire under them and suddenly it's all to play for in Game 6 with Lester Beckett on the mound. A couple of huge plays by the Red Sox have given then a fighting chance to get right back into this.

The Rays have been outstanding so far, although it will be interesting to see how they react to this loss. A lot of the Red Sox have been here before, whereas the Rays have far less experience at this stage of the season. I still thing they've enough of a cushion to win the series in two chances at the Trop.

If Lester Beckett can win Game 6, then it's Beckett Lester for Game 7 in what would be a one game play off for a spot in the WS.:eek:

Game 6 will be compelling viewing!

Up in 2.5 hrs - fook!

Wow. Just wow.
    Sensational comeback! I went to bed at bottom 6, got up again at top 8 and watched the rest of it. Boston have been ****e for about 24 innings, and then something lights a fire under them and suddenly it's all to play for in Game 6 with Lester on the mound. A couple of huge plays by the Red Sox have given then a fighting chance to get right back into this.

The Rays have been outstanding so far, although it will be interesting to see how they react to this loss. A lot of the Red Sox have been here before, whereas the Rays have far less experience at this stage of the season. I still thing they've enough of a cushion to win the series in two chances at the Trop.

If Lester can win Game 6, then it's Beckett for Game 7 in what would be a one game play off for a spot in the WS.:eek:

Game 6 will be compelling viewing!

Up in 2.5 hrs - fook!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Pretty gutted and elated at the same time. Went to bed when Pena hit the 2 run jack off Dice K top of the 3rd. Was even thinking of throwing in the towel when Papi got booed in the first. What an inbox to arrive into work to though!

LET's PLAY BALL!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

My my. You really, really, really don't want to give the Red Sox a way back.

Whatever about the decision to start Kazmir (which worked out pretty damn well), Maddon's management of the last 3 innings seems to have been a mess.

I guess you had to believe that players as talented as Papi and JD Drew would do something this postseason and so they did. I just hope it continues.

Still, the Rays have the advantage-their starting pitching is much more consistent than the Red Sox and their are still serious questions surrounding the health of Beckett.

You would like to think (as a Sox fan) that if Beckett is phyiscally able (serious doubts on that issue) he will pull a shutout in Game 6/7 and that the hitters will step up for him-I would be stunned if the Sox can win the series getting nothing from thier nominal ace.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

That was something else. Even watching the condensed game it was amazingly exciting! Though worringly I found myself rooting for the Red Sox :p

If there's a game 7 I think I'll have to watch the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

That was something else. Even watching the condensed game it was amazingly exciting! Though worringly I found myself rooting for the Red Sox :p

If there's a game 7 I think I'll have to watch the whole thing.

Surely any potential nocturnal activities need to be put on hold for Game 6 tomorrow also?!

lol 1993. Thats all I got left.

Bastard. Though I am saddened about the Expos. So it's good to see the Blu Jays were bolstered by their back to back. I like to see baseball prospering 'outside the US'. ;)

Here's the MLB RAYSOX breakdown from the last game:
    http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200810163623677

WYK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

jesus come on Sox, this is painful to watch tbh

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-alcs-tv&prov=ap&type=lgns

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP)—TBS had technical difficulties that prevented it from showing live coverage of the first 20 minutes—and the first home run—of Game 6 of the American League championship series between Boston and Tampa Bay on Saturday night.

I have always preferred Fox coverage(they do more indepth stuff, with more character coverage even if they DO have a stupid pre and psot game wrap-up). But this really soured me on Ted.

WYK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

That and Fox has an absolutely amazing theme tune.

Bring on Game 7, it's all to play for now.

Can't believe that Boston are in this position AGAIN! What a shift in momentum, the Rays were nine outs and with a seven-run cushion from going to their first WS.

I only saw the ninth inning last night, but I imagine that the Rays will be asking themselves what they need to do to win this ALCS. Boston are in the ascendancy, and have been in this position several times before, and it will be a massive game tonight - interesting to see how the two teams approach it.

Lester v Garza; surely Lester can't be as bad as his last outing! Boston are finally starting to swing the bat, and they look like they're growing in confidence. I still think the Rays have enough to win it, and a slight advantage at home, although it's about handling the pressure at this stage as there'll be no second chance.

Too close to call for me - but I'll be rooted to the couch later at 1.07am (Irish)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,484 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well I'm a Red Sox fan so I'm gutted after that but you have to say fair play to the Rays, they have been impressive all season and how could you hold it against them with all the bad seasons they have had. I just hope they go on and win it now.
    We'll be back next year.

I just typed up a post and my browser crashed!:(

Well done to the Rays, perhaps it was a comeback too far for us. I'll complete the post tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

I was on holidays in Orlando and I got to go to the first game of the playoffs at Tropicana field and it was an amazing spectical. The game finished 2 - 0 to the Red Sox, but I had an increidble time. It was the first baseball game I had seen live, and I am gutted that I didnt go back to the second game.

I just typed up a post and my browser crashed!:(

Well done to the Rays, perhaps it was a comeback too far for us. I'll complete the post tomorrow!

Dude, I got yer back:

The Red Sox, what can one say.

0-3 VS the all-powerful Yankees.
    1-3 VS the Indians

Uh, they did some other stuff I forget cause I'm from Texas, not Boston. And, uh, I was and still am a Phillies fan cause I used to play third base and Schmidt was my idol growing up. Anywhoooo,

If there is one single thing we should come away with having been through all the ups and downs, all the trials and tribulations, all the heartaches and all the pain of being a Red Sox fan...

THANK GOD WE AREN'T CHICAGO CUBS FANS!

Wooo!
    BDD_RS_tam_10.17.08_ap.jpg
    SteveBartmanUnmotivationalPoster.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

So close!

Shame.

Can't look past the Rays for the WS. Maybe in 5 or 6, I don't think they'll sweep.

So, not long out of the pit after another late night!

Congrats to the Rays, they've been outstanding all season and arguably the top team in the AL, so they're worthy reps in the WS. I was delighted that the Red Sox pushed it to seven, as after game four, I honestly couldn't see where we were going to get a win from. The Rays have played some great ball, and some of their batting was phenomenal this series.

The comeback in game 5 makes it easier to deal with the loss (as does the two recent WS wins!), so I'm not that disappointed. What a year it's been for us, and it's likely that some players will be moving on in the off-season. Varitek is a free agent, Timlin looks like he'll retire (4 WS rings!), and no doubt there'll be some trade activity. We're in good health though, as long as Beckett can rest and get back healthy, Lester is a star, Papelbon also, Jason Bay looks like he'll be kept around.

All in all, very good season, and had to deal with a lot of injuries and the b/s surround Ramirez, so happy that we still had a chance in top 8 with the bases loaded to pull through, but alas, it wasn't to be.

Good luck to both the Rays and the Phillies on Wednesday, and purely from a neutral's p.o.v., I'd love to see it go to 7, as it would keep a lot of other fans watching with tension and excitement!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Echo what the other Sox fans said-fair play to the Rays-good value for the win and probably for the WS as well. Beating Lester twice and recovering from what could have been a momentous collapse in Game 5 shows that they are a very good team IMHO. Possible dynasty in the making especially when you look at the age and quality of their rotation. But, not done yet, and remember what happened in 2006!

Some serious offseason issues for the Sox, but we'll leave that for another thread.

• Advertisement

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Echo what the other Sox fans said-fair play to the Rays-good value for the win and probably for the WS as well. Beating Lester twice and recovering from what could have been a momentous collapse in Game 5 shows that they are a very good team IMHO. Possible dynasty in the making especially when you look at the age and quality of their rotation. But, not done yet, and remember what happened in 2006!

Some serious offseason issues for the Sox, but we'll leave that for another thread.

It will be interesting to see if the Rays can hold on to their top players after this season's performance. They probably don't have the resources to offer top dollar to players, which we can see from their payroll this season. Expect some departures in the off-season.

Advertisement