Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Rail September Timetable Changes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

GM228 wrote: »
    There are 3 issues at play for the daily cancellations - driver shortages, roster issues and an unusually high failure rate of late.

My guess is there isnt enough driver's available to cover these rosters as they either arent there, some are still not passed out to go alone and you got sicknesses and leave as well. Add in lack of spare driver's to take over and there's the reason for cancellations.

As for the failure rate to be fair the harder you push them the quicker they wear out and develop defects or other faults. Then you got miserable little feckers vandalising them as well and getting away with it because the legal system in this country is more about milking money rather than punishing regressive little feckers properly and it just all adds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

A few technical faults have resulted in some of the cancellations wich would have taken that set out of service so if it was due to do 4 runs for example then that's 4 cancellations.
    A door fault was the last one i seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Just two months to late but:
    Separately, Irish Rail is also increasing capacity on four Dart services in each of the morning and evening peaks, which will be complete by the end of November.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/irish-rail-to-operate-70-additional-dublin-commuter-services-a-day-37507223.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

It's not late, there was a timetable change due in December anyway. Maybe this is it.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    It's not late, there was a timetable change due in December anyway. Maybe this is it.

Again to late, there is zero changes to 10 munte DART in December.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭uxiant

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Capacity was already increased on morning DART services so they haven't been two months too late. These are further improvements.

uxiant wrote: »
    Capacity was already increased on morning DART services so they haven't been two months too late. These are further improvements.

Again to late, they have had 8 weeks and are still not addressed the problems. Passengers still left behind daily.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Where was this capacity change? I haven't seen it on southbound services - Daily people left behind at Harmonstown, Killester and Clontarf Road, which never happened prior to this idiotically handled time table change.

Wonder what services will get the extra capacity? Probably the southside...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,981 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

ixoy wrote: »
    Where was this capacity change? I haven't seen it on southbound services - Daily people left behind at Harmonstown, Killester and Clontarf Road, which never happened prior to this idiotically handled time table change.

as far as i know there are no darts that stay on the south side, so both north and south will have to get it.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

I wonder what happens to these 8 carriage DARTs going northbound. Ditch half the carriages at the terminus before travelling southbound? Or how do these 8 carriage DARTs get to the southside...

(And by the way people are left on platforms travelling northbound too)

• Advertisement

I wonder what happens to these 8 carriage DARTs going northbound. Ditch half the carriages at the terminus before travelling southbound? Or how do these 8 carriage DARTs get to the southside...
    You know what I mean - the longer DARTs should be those that hit the city centre between 8:30 - 09:00 as that's when many people need to be in work.
    So let's take a train that arrives in Tara Street at 08:19. It gets to Howth at 08:48 so by the time it goes back northbound, it's too late - the peak period is over.

I've been monitoring Irish Rail's Twitter account and I've never seen any complaints about people being left behind travelling Northbound. Is it a daily occurrence but they're just not mentioning it?

Capacity has actually increased throughout the DART network (perhaps it hasn't on the spurs to Howth and Malahide where obviously the frequency has to drop?) - so it's strange that so many are left behind on platforms going north and south.

Has the improved frequency drove up passenger numbers? Or were things just as bad before the timetable changes (I used to go to work later so missed the morning rush).

You know what I mean - the longer DARTs should be those that hit the city centre between 8:30 - 09:00 as that's when many people need to be in work.
    So let's take a train that arrives in Tara Street at 08:19. It gets to Howth at 08:48 so by the time it goes back northbound, it's too late - the peak period is over.

I've been monitoring Irish Rail's Twitter account and I've never seen any complaints about people being left behind travelling Northbound. Is it a daily occurrence but they're just not mentioning it?

I've seen plenty of 8 carriage northbound DARTs at around 5pm so I find it very hard to believe they are deliberately putting all the 8 carriage DARTs northbound to hit the city centre at 8.30-9am...

And anyway the 8.15 from Dun Laoghaire is only 6 carriages so that's one of those 8.30-9am DARTs that's not 8 carriages.

Yes I've been left at the platform in Dun Laoghaire before and I've noticed people left behind at places like Blackrock, Booterstown, Sandymount etc. But it's not something I pay attention to every day.

Has the improved frequency drove up passenger numbers? Or were things just as bad before the timetable changes (I used to go to work later so missed the morning rush).
    Things are *significantly* worse now. I've used Killester station for eight years and, barring any disruptions, always got on a carriage at any time between 8 and 9. The very week they changed it, that started to stop - difficult to get on any train after 08:15 often.
    There was no surge in customers - sure, schools were back but they were back every year before then too and none of this happened so it's unlikely they suddenly had a 20% increase in a few days coincidentally when they changed a time table.

What was easily observable is the shorter trains. That and the frequency at rush hour is no better really - for example, there was a train at 07:57, 08:02, 08:17, 08:24 IIRC. They weren't four carriage trains either. Now it's 07:57, 08:07, 08:17 and 08:27, i.e. *less frequent* and a number of these are short. So they ran the same number of trains over this period previously (if oddly spread out - but people knew the time table anyway) but they had more capacity. That, coupled with commuter trains no longer absorbing many passengers on the Malahide spur (particularly Portmarnock), has made it a mess.
    uxiant wrote:
    Yes I've been left at the platform in Dun Laoghaire before and I've noticed people left behind at places like Blackrock, Booterstown, Sandymount etc. But it's not something I pay attention to every day.
    But if it was happening every couple of days, you'd definitely notice it...

And no, I haven't had issues in the evening but then I leave a bit later so perhaps I just generally miss that rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

I've seen plenty of 8 carriage northbound DARTs at around 5pm so I find it very hard to believe they are deliberately putting all the 8 carriage DARTs northbound to hit the city centre at 8.30-9am...

And anyway the 8.15 from Dun Laoghaire is only 6 carriages so that's one of those 8.30-9am DARTs that's not 8 carriages.

At Dun Laoghaire this is the spread, and its clear the bulk of the 8 coach units are on the northside

0755 is 8
    0805 is 6
    0815 is 6
    0825 is 8?
    0835 is 6
    0845 is 4

The problem is passenger numbers are up and noticeably so, the volume of school kids is incredible, the bank of mammy and daddy can no longer afford several cars and we have kids traveling for considerable distances and incredible cheap fares taking up capacity. Throw mid term break in and there is a chance of a seat on almost every train out of Dun Laoghaire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Make it clear when selling schoolchild fares and leap cards that seats must be given up to adults immediately unless the child has a registered disability and enforce that.

Like most Irish problems this timetabling issue could be quickly solved by the reintroduction of flogging (but that will never happen).
    At Dun Laoghaire this is the spread, and its clear the bulk of the 8 coach units are on the northside

0755 is 8
    0805 is 6
    0815 is 6
    0825 is 8?
    0835 is 6
    0845 is 4

The problem is passenger numbers are up and noticeably so, the volume of school kids is incredible, the bank of mammy and daddy can no longer afford several cars and we have kids traveling for considerable distances and incredible cheap fares taking up capacity. Throw mid term break in and there is a chance of a seat on almost every train out of Dun Laoghaire

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

Make it clear when selling schoolchild fares and leap cards that seats must be given up to adults immediately unless the child has a registered disability and enforce that.

Like most Irish problems this timetabling issue could be quickly solved by the reintroduction of flogging (but that will never happen).

Well it took eight years, but I’ve finally decided to add a name to my ignore list on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

consultation on the December timetable (minor changes mostly, plus off-peak Tunnel services) now open:
    http://www.irishrail.ie/news/december2018timetable

I see IR are also looking for a "Director of Train Operations"

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Irish Rail have capitulated and reinstated diesel services to Clongriffin, Howth Jct and Portmarnock.

Not all, mind you, but a step in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I get northbound darts at Pearse every evening and there are no 8 carriage trains around 5pm. There's one to Malahide at 5:17 and it's the first 8 carriage dart going north since 4:27. There are several to Bray in this period. As these 8 carriage trains to Bray leave Pearse they are only half full. Very bad and easy to fix train management from IR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Irish Rail have capitulated and reinstated diesel services to Clongriffin, Howth Jct and Portmarnock.

It was a bit silly removing them to begin with but they may have not realised how much pressure those diesils were taking off the stations further down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

loyatemu wrote: »
    consultation on the December timetable (minor changes mostly, plus off-peak Tunnel services) now open:
    http://www.irishrail.ie/news/december2018timetable

I see IR are also looking for a "Director of Train Operations"

Big upgrade for Maynooth line users. 30 minute frequency all day up to 9pm weekdays , 30 minute frequency 8-7 Saturday and 30 minute frequency 11-7 Sunday.

Add the pre 6am train ex Maynooth weekdays , and the 8am ex Maynooth and trains up to 11.20pm Sunday and it's a great upgrade for the most part .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭Deviso

thomasj wrote: »
    Big upgrade for Maynooth line users. 30 minute frequency all day up to 9pm weekdays , 30 minute frequency 8-7 Saturday and 30 minute frequency 11-7 Sunday.

Add the pre 6am train ex Maynooth weekdays , and the 8am ex Maynooth and trains up to 11.20pm Sunday and it's a great upgrade for the most part .

Thats going to make congestion worse. FFS

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Deviso wrote: »
    Thats going to make congestion worse. FFS

There's basically no peak additions so it will have no impact on that

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

thomasj wrote: »

Bizarre how under utilised the line has been while hundreds of millions have been spent on the Luas and its' high frequency.

(And no, I'm not asking for that level of frequency on the line!).

Disgraceful. This is Brexitism. The rejection of experts. :(

Lets hope a software update taking place tonight does not screw the network up in the morning like the last one.

Infini wrote: »
    It was a bit silly removing them to begin with but they may have not realised how much pressure those

[sic]

diesils were taking off the stations further down the line.
    Or people could just move down the carriage. ;)

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Lets hope a software update taking place tonight does not screw the network up in the morning like the last one.
    Do tell ?? :)

• Advertisement

Do tell ?? :)

Nothing to tell, the last time they did an update the signilling system shut down for 2-3 days at the same time each evening. Sources say an update is due to take place tonight so hopefully it goes well, its bad enough every day as it is.

Such updates should take place on Sat (Fri night) or Sun (Sat night) IMO

Advertisement