Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Even being trailer trash costs 160k now. FFS.

Apparently even being trailer trash is something to work towards now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,198 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

If it is pulling in the 30,000 in rental income that the article claims then it is a pretty decent buy.

That'll be gross (if the claims are true).

I doubt it's zoned as commercial.

Think of all the over-heads. Leaving the tax side out of it, if you're doing Air BnB .... cleaning / bed sheets etc... - given it's rural, you're not going to be round the corner yourself to do it. By the time you get someone to do it for you, BAM, profit gone.

The gross yield % sounds amazing, but once you consider all the over-heads... nah.... it's a place you'd buy to use yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭markc1184

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/6-the-lacey-field-donabate-dublin/4290114

8d3f46dc-f7ec-4c0d-91cd-7bc898ee4eca_l.jpg

I'm not sure if this place has been listed before. Yes it's cheap but still.

I'm nearly sure the mobile home in the picture with the treehouse has been on here before. The Lacey Field definitely rings a bell with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Jet Black

If it is pulling in the 30,000 in rental income that the article claims then it is a pretty decent buy.

It says in a separate article that figure is from the two properties. It's up on Airbnb for €58 a night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/6-the-lacey-field-donabate-dublin/4290114

8d3f46dc-f7ec-4c0d-91cd-7bc898ee4eca_l.jpg

I'm not sure if this place has been listed before. Yes it's cheap but still.

Cheap???? It's a bleeding trailer ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

BBFAN wrote: »
    Cheap???? It's a bleeding trailer ffs.

Ah I know but when we've seen the prices of other crazy places and baring in mind that it is Donabate it's not the worst place that's been on here. But it is still a lot of money for very little.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

AirBnB is banned in Ireland from June next year unless you also live in the property and are just renting out a single room. There is no way you will get 30k in rent under the rules unless you can somehow get planning permission as a short term rental property.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Kamili

JohnCleary wrote: »
    That'll be gross (if the claims are true).

I doubt it's zoned as commercial.

Think of all the over-heads. Leaving the tax side out of it, if you're doing Air BnB .... cleaning / bed sheets etc... - given it's rural, you're not going to be round the corner yourself to do it. By the time you get someone to do it for you, BAM, profit gone.

The gross yield % sounds amazing, but once you consider all the over-heads... nah.... it's a place you'd buy to use yourself.

I actually wanted to book that place for a staycation last year and it was pretty booked out so never did in the end. So I'd say he was making a good bit out of it.
    I think he lived nearby and has several other similar properties and they all seemed to be marketed well and got very good reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Kingp35 wrote: »
    AirBnB is banned in Ireland from June next year unless you also live in the property and are just renting out a single room. There is no way you will get 30k in rent under the rules unless you can somehow get planning permission as a short term rental property.

That doesn't apply for holiday homes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

2ndcoming wrote: »
    That doesn't apply for holiday homes.

I know that but it has to have specific planning permission as a holiday home. the article doesn't state if it does or not. You can't just call something a holiday home, it has to be designated as such.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Will this be properly enforced though? We have a history of bringing laws in and then forgetting about them due to lack of staff. Will there be loopholes for landlords to get around it even if it is enforced?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Alkers

ok it's not a rental but look at this place:
    https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/walkinstown/35-bunting-road-walkinstown-dublin-1954319/

Check it out on the satellite imagery if the above link doesn't show it, they've enclosed the entire rear garden in and somehow made 9 separate units out of the place - I'd say they're nightmare neighbours.

How they think that an illegal development in the back garden has almost tripled the value of the house though! And sad that the €70k in rent per annum figure is probably correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

Simona1986 wrote: »
    https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/walkinstown/35-bunting-road-walkinstown-dublin-1954319/

Check it out on the satellite imagery if the above link doesn't show it, they've enclosed the entire rear garden in and somehow made 9 separate units out of the place - I'd say they're nightmare neighbours.

How they think that an illegal development in the back garden has almost tripled the value of the house though! And sad that the €70k in rent per annum figure is probably correct!

crazy. no pics of the 'units' though. why not one ask themselves..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭M.Cribben

I just checked South Dublin CC planning register and there's no entries for that address so unless it's exempt development (a lot of back garden, single storey development is exempt). Maybe 'change of use' planning should apply? I don't know. Either way I can't see many investors being interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Alkers

M.Cribben wrote: »
    (a lot of back garden, single storey development is exempt).

I think only subject to constraints such as maximum size (40sq m?), size compared to existing dwelling and size of garden leftover - none of which it looks like these works would satisfy

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭M.Cribben

I think only subject to constraints such as maximum size (40sq m?), size compared to existing dwelling and size of garden leftover - none of which it looks like these works would satisfy

Hope the buyer has a decent solicitor/surveyor !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

5000 new Facebook jobs coming to Dublin, should be a cause for celebration but this thread was my first thought...

WTF is the government thinking? New builds are still miles below basic maintenance level, how bad will it have to get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

Thargor wrote: »
    5000 new Facebook jobs coming to Dublin, should be a cause for celebration but this thread was my first thought...

WTF is the government thinking? New builds are still miles below basic maintenance level, how bad will it have to get?

Software developer position available. €95k pa. Stock options. And a free tent.

engiweirdo wrote: »
    Software developer position available. €95k pa. Stock options. And a free tent.
    or sleep under your desk!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

This 'cottage' right next door to the bankcentre sold today for 470000. Its basically 4 walls and is in an area prone to flooding, but hey - location baby!

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/new-to-market/four-down-at-heel-walls-in-ballsbridge-sell-for-470-000-1.3689679?mode=amp

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

More taxes, bigger public servant pay increases and increased rents for their rental properties is prob what they are thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Loughc wrote: »
    More taxes, bigger public servant pay increases and increased rents for their rental properties is prob what they are thinking.

laughing-politicians_o_1411489.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

This place was up for sale for €1.5M back in 2008! :eek::eek::eek:

Don't know if it sold though. Owner tired of hoovering up 70k rent per year??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

What do you mean, what were the government thinking? The government can't tell Facebook to stop hiring people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Not funny but significant as it once belonged to Ireland's oldest man, close to where I grew up. A real time capsule and full of character :)

http://www.gvp.ie/cgi-bin/ICS/GVP/prevobj6.cgi?obj=GVP0000270

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Not funny but significant as it once belonged to Ireland's oldest man, close to where I grew up. A real time capsule and full of character :)

He clearly didn't spend much of his 106 years cleaning the place anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Aw jeepers, that's kinda sad.....

Interesting "features"
    Other Features

No water supply. Previous owners probably used rainwater
    No septic tank. Planning will be required
    No central heating
    No bathroom or toilet
    Neighbour nearby
    Reasonably good quality land with great views from hill
    BER exempt
    Just a single neighbour, unless you like solitude it could get very lonely if you fall out with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Some of those pictures look like an Art installation or photography project. There's something kind of sparse and beautiful about it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Some of those pictures look like an Art installation or photography project. There's something kind of sparse and beautiful about it all.

I think so too, a real feeling of a bygone age. I knew many houses like this in Clare and I'm only slightly north of 40.
    This man was very happy, fit and healthy for almost all his life.

Advertisement