Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Bus Changes to Improve City Center Journeys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭budgemook

Good to hear since traffic was a ****ing joke all over the place this morning. What route are you on if you don't mind me asking

The 37. I hit bachelor's walk / college green heading south at around 8:20 and it was completely fine.

We'll see how the week goes, I see on Twitter that it got bad again closer to 9 and I remember last week it being terrible at around that time.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Certainly seemed better this morning but still work to be done for sure.

Taxi Drivers have started kicking off:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/minor-improvements-as-college-green-bus-restrictions-begin-1.3372301
    Joe Herron, president of the Irish Taxi Drivers Federation, said it would be “grossly unfair” if restrictions were introduced which allowed buses to enter the College Green area and not taxis.

“It would be crazy if we had to do two or three times the distance to cross from one side of the Liffey to other. It’s a busy area for taxi business and if we couldn’t go through there we’d have to go all the way up the quays to Parliament Street and come back around.”

Mr Herron also called for restrictions on private bus companies operating in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

On a 15a now and it took 15 minutes to get from pearse street Garda station to college green. Couldn't blame the driver for cursing.

How's Tara street going ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

devnull wrote: »
    Taxi Drivers have started kicking off:
    In terms of public movement & transport, the order of priority & media attention should be:
    1. Pedestrians
    2. Cyclists
    3. Bus & LUAS
    4. Donkey
    5. Taxi
    6. Private Cars

Instead it appears to be:
    1. LUAS
    2. Taxi
    3. Bus
    4. Cyclists
    5. Private Cars
    6. Pedestrians

I don't see why the main public transport options should be rerouted from College Green, while taxis continue to drive through there. It is plainly obvious to any neutral observer that one third to half the road space through the areas affected is taxis, and in particular it is taxis who are jumping the queue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hugh Jampton

hmmm wrote: »
    In terms of public movement & transport, the order of priority & media attention should be:
    1. Pedestrians
    2. Cyclists
    3. Bus & LUAS
    4. Donkey
    5. Taxi
    6. Private Cars

1. LUAS
    2. Taxi
    3. Bus
    4. Cyclists
    5. Private Cars
    6. Pedestrians

I don't see why the main public transport options should be rerouted from College Green, while taxis continue to drive through there. It is plainly obvious to any neutral observer that one third to half the road space through the areas affected is taxis, and in particular it is taxis who are jumping the queue.

If cyclists are supposed to be a bigger priority than bus and Luas passengers, then a special bridge should be built for them to get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Phil.x

hmmm wrote: »
    1. Pedestrians
    2. Cyclists
    3. Bus & LUAS
    4. Donkey
    5. Taxi
    6. Private Cars

1. LUAS
    2. Taxi
    3. Bus
    4. Cyclists
    5. Private Cars
    6. Pedestrians

As there's no 24hrs transport, taxis are very important.
    Maybe the Dublin planners who are responsible for this mess should be arrested and charged for gross waste of public money, making the city a more dangerous place for pedestrians and cyclists, longer delays in transit for the vast majority of people, the loss of business and man hours and lastly.....a laughing stock of Europe for when it comes to something as simple as public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Phil.x wrote: »
    As there's no 24hrs transport, taxis are very important.

Only for the brief window of hours where the Luas and buses aren't running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Phil.x

MJohnston wrote: »
    Only for the brief window of hours where the Luas and buses aren't running.

Yes but what does one do, walk for 10miles?

Phil.x wrote: »
    Yes but what does one do, walk for 10miles?

No, you get a taxi.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I was on the 38 this morning, passing through D'Olier Street shortly after 9am. It took 20 minutes to get from O'Connell Bridge to Nassau Street.

There didn't seem to be any movement from any vehicle whatsoever on D'Olier for a good 10 minutes. Couldn't see what the issue was but I'd imagine the junction was blocked at Doyle's.

There were a couple of cyclists trapped between the buses in the middle lane of D'Olier Street. Looked pretty frightening!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

That's passing College House up to the Trinity stop isn't it? The timing of that junction for the Luas is really poor - it should never be able to pass the Hawkins/Townsend Street junction until it has a free run onto College Street, instead of stopping halfway across and blocking Townsend Street traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

MJohnston wrote: »
    That's passing College House up to the Trinity stop isn't it? The timing of that junction for the Luas is really poor - it should never be able to pass the Hawkins/Townsend Street junction until it has a free run onto College Street, instead of stopping halfway across and blocking Townsend Street traffic.

Yes thats the location.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

This was precisely the junction that I highlighted before the LUAS went live. There's no way the NTA etc, did not know the LUAS was going to block this junction, they just went ahead anyway.

You would assume the LUAS is merrily breaking the law right outside a Traffic Corps station and not a word said :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Bambi wrote: »
    This was precisely the junction that I highlighted before the LUAS went live. There's no way the NTA etc, did not know the LUAS was going to block this junction, they just went ahead anyway.

You would assume the LUAS is merrily breaking the law right outside a Traffic Corps station and not a word said :o

Why is the tram allowed to block the box? Do they have to follow the rules of the road?

The tram could easily wait at the other side of the box where the filter light could be activated from there.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

So is everyone still forced to get an earlier bus and put up with delays in the evening? Clearly something SERIOUS should be put in place other than some half-assed so-called 'solution' of 'lets shove some of the traffic up the road where it'll inevitably cause delays anyway'

• Registered Users Posts: 13,285 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Why is the tram allowed to block the box? Do they have to follow the rules of the road?

I don't think trams have to obey street signage (which is what a yellow junction box is), they just have to obey their own tram signal lights and speed limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I don't think trams have to obey street signage (which is what a yellow junction box is), they just have to obey their own tram signal lights and speed limits.

He's not just breaking the junction box, he's breaking the pedestrian lights and traffic lights.

It's all very Irish, sooner or later a truck is going to wind up buried into the side of the tram and everyone will be scrambling to cover their arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,285 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

He's not just breaking the junction box, he's breaking the pedestrian lights and traffic lights.

It's all very Irish, sooner or later a truck is going to wind up buried into the side of the tram and everyone will be scrambling to cover their arse.

Pedestrian Lights and road Traffic Lights are irrelevant aren't they? Doesn't the tram driver just have their own set of four white signal lights which is what they follow.

So really it just comes down to whether they also have to be aware of and follow the rules of junction boxes, I don't think they do but could be wrong.

Particularly the truck driver. If they had been obeying traffic signals then they wouldn't be hitting the tram. They are set up that way, integrated with the Luas signals. Let's not be putting disinformation out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Get Real

The tram could easily wait at the other side of the box where the filter light could be activated from there.

I would have agreed with you until just recently I learned that it has to pull up into the next section in order to trigger the signal to give it a light to allow it around onto college green.

It sits there letting the signal know "I'm here" but has to block the box in order to do this 😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Looks like Prime Time are covering this tonight on RTE 1. Good to see the issue getting some coverage.

https://twitter.com/downesr/status/958402049502339072
    Tonight on #rtept ... A race across Dublin city by Bus, Luas and Car with @KevinBurns147 and @Eithne_OBrien ... who do you think will win our wacky race?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I was walking along OCS today and noticed how empty the trams were heading Northbound, relatively speaking. Seemed to be a lot of empty seats etc.

I wonder if the long trams are warranted going North now?

I must check if the Grangegorman Campus is fully opened, note to self! that might increase loads. But surely only in the morning and evening rush.

Due nod to those in Fizzbro etc. of course don't get me wrong!

Where is the need for long trams going Northwards coming from, does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Pedestrian Lights and road Traffic Lights are irrelevant aren't they? Doesn't the tram driver just have their own set of four white signal lights which is what they follow.

So really it just comes down to whether they also have to be aware of and follow the rules of junction boxes, I don't think they do but could be wrong.

Although Transdev,Tii and just about every other responsible Authority are keeping remarkably schtum about it,all indications point to a significant gap in the specific regulation of on-street Light Rail Operations in the Yellow Box scenario.

It appears that Luas movements are controlled ONLY by their specific signals,as outlined in the DoT's Traffic Signs Manual (2010),although it may also be the case that not everybody involved in the project has studied the bumf that applies to these Yellow Box issues....
    Not all locations are suitable for treatment and it is necessary to apply certain criteria before deciding whether a particular site should be marked. The following points would be relevant:
    • Yellow boxes are expensive to maintain and should be used only where other solutions will not work.
    • Linked signals can help to keep a junction clear. In addition it is possible to provide detectors at a location after a vehicle passes through a junction. This can pick up ’tailbacks’ from the next junction and prompt the traffic signals to change thus preventing obstruction of the junction by vehicles.
    • Sometimes a yellow box is not needed at a junction controlled by signals but is needed at an adjacent junction which does not have signals and is affected by queues from the signal controlled junction.
    • The carriageway beyond the yellow box should be free from obstruction (this may require the imposition of parking restrictions or the relocation of a bus stop).
    • Where a succession of locations gives rise to blocking a series of yellow boxes may be considered provided at least 20m storage can be maintained between successive boxes.
    • There should preferably not be a high proportion of right turning vehicles.

I particularly liked the last little line,as it may have fed into the situation at D'olier St-College Green :)

7.9.7 Where a Light Rapid Transit (LRT) line enters a road used by general traffic, it may be advantageous to install a yellow box to maintain free access for the LRT vehicles. In such cases, the boundary lines of the box may follow the swept path envelope of the LRT vehicle.

9.12 Tram (Light Rapid Transit)
    9.12.1 Where trams – light rapid transit (LRT) vehicles – are running on the public road special Tram Signals are used to control them (Signals RTS 008 to RTS 012 and S 104). The signals consist of a series of lights forming a narrow white line or plus sign on a black background. Single aspect signals are used, displaying the appropriate signal when required. The design of the signals is deliberately different from signals for other road users, since they are intended only for LRT drivers.
    9.12.2 Tram Signals will often operate in conjunction with traffic signals controlling road traffic. In some instances they may be programmed to give a different instruction to tram drivers from that given to other drivers. For example a tram may be permitted to proceed while road traffic in adjacent lanes is stopped by a red signal.
    9.12.3 The need for Tram Signals will be determined by the tram operating authority and their size, location and operation agreed with the Road Authority in accordance with the provisions prescribed in the Road Traffic (Signs) Regulations.

It is remarkable,yet entirely predictible,that our New Light Rail link,having been devised and constructed entirely in a stand-alone manner,with ZERO consideration given to broader interaction with pre-existing Public Transport systems is now contributing significantly to a rapid worsening of ALL City Centre Traffic and Public Transport operations.

Luckily for the directors of this increasingly Comic Opera,our State is a democratic Republic,in which responsibility is largely a concept viewed from afar,and negligent buffoonery is often celebrated and rewarded,at the highest levels.

Rather than summarily dismissing the entire cabal of supposed professionals associated with this ongoing nonsense,it is highly likely they will be promoted and set to work on other big-ticket projects,with largely similar outcomes.

It would perhaps,be easier and cheaper to draft in Light Rail & Public Transport Professionals from the furthest corners of the E.U.and set them to work on rectifying the Godawful mess created by this gang.

Every now and then,we are sharply reminded that a Chinese style benign dictatorship might not be all that bad.......;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Looks like Prime Time are covering this tonight on RTE 1. Good to see the issue getting some coverage.

I am glad it is being highlighted, but I have my doubts as to whether any of the contributors use PT of any mode in Dublin every day. Maybe they do, but I doubt it.

Will keep an open mind though, as I do.

Sadly,it appears they are playing the thing for "wacky" laughs.

There is nothing wacky about what is now occuring every day in the City Centre area,as the turf-war continues.

Much of what is currently happening has it's roots deeply embedded in ensuring that permanent & pensionable senior positions fall to the "right" agencies,with the long established ones,being reluctant to concede ground to newer,and less traditional "Authorities" ?

On the other hand,perhaps "Wacky" is an accurate a summation after all ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Sadly,it appears they are playing the thing for "wacky" laughs.

There is nothing wacky about what is now occuring every day in the City Centre area,as the turf-war continues.

Much of what is currently happening has it's roots deeply embedded in ensuring that permanent & pensionable senior positions fall to the "right" agencies,with the long established ones,being reluctant to concede ground to newer,and less traditional "Authorities" ?

On the other hand,perhaps "Wacky" is an accurate a summation after all ?

Coming from left field here a bit, but ANYONE who has ANY power to sort out PT in Dublin should be using it every day. Same times as commuters are.

I think the car park in DCC at Wood Q is still in existence though :p

Coming from left field here a bit, but ANYONE who has ANY power to sort out PT in Dublin should be using it every day. Same times as commuters are.

I think the car park in DCC at Wood Q is still in existence though
    :p

"I'm glad you raised that point,but first allow me to deal with.....(something totally unrelated to the original issue,but which will eat into the clock-time of the interview)" :D

Get me Terri Prone on the red telephone please........;)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    "I'm glad you raised that point,but first allow me to deal with.....(something totally unrelated to the original issue,but which will eat into the clock-time of the interview)" :D

Get me Terri Prone on the red telephone please........;)

Feck sake, so amusing and so true!

• Advertisement

Well, Sierra Oscar, Prime Time can go Foxtrot Oscar for themselves if that's the level their coverage of the city centre issues is at the Wacky Races level. Blockade the pubs in Donnybrook and then maybe they'll think there is a problem to be solved then.

Advertisement