Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Installing new ceiling light

• 06-06-2020 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

I'm putting up two new lights in the bedroom which came from IKEA. These only have Neutral and Live connections so I know I need to terminate the Earth.

I stupidly forgot to take a photo of the first lighting rose which I disconnected and the second light is slightly different. This has:
    One wire has earth, neutral and I think the loop wire (light brown colour).
    Another wire with earth, neutral and again a loop wire (also light brown colour).
    Third wire has no visible colour but I believe it to be just one Live wire (dark grey colour, I haven't exposed the grey sheath).

On the second light fitting, there are also three wires but there are two Live wires.

I just want to be sure I'm doing this right so I'm assuming I need to do the following:

One the first light put the single dark-grey in the L light fitting.
    Put both loop wires in a terminating block.
    Both earths are in a terminting block
    Both neutrals in N light fitting

On the second light:
    I can identify both Live wires so they will go to L light fitting.
    Same for neutral.
    But both loop wires in a single terminating block.

I've put up light fittings before but not in this older house.

Am I right?

FirstLight03.jpg

SecondLight02.jpg

FirstLight02.jpg

FirstLight01.jpg

FirstLight.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭choicer

One more pic

Second_Light.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭meercat

First light
    Put all neutrals in a connection block and connected to new light (N)
    Put 2 browns in connection block and don’t connect to light
    Connect grey wire(brown inner core to new light (L)

Make sure power is off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭meercat

2nd light
    Put all neutral wires (Blue)into connection block and connect to light(N)
    Put 3 brown wires (they’re already connected together in pic) in connection block and don’t connect to new fitting
    Connect remaining brown wire into new Light fitting (L)

Make sure power is off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Can't say much about the first light, but I suspect you are in error about the second light. (but not being there I obviously can't be certain).

It looks like you have what is known as a three plate ceiling rose, one terminal block for neutrals which has the two blue wires coming from the ceiling and one blue wire going to the light fitting, one for lives which is most likely the three brown wires in the middle and one for the return from the light switch which has one brown wire coming from the ceiling and one going to the lamp.

Hope you have the power off as some of these will be live even with the switch at the wall turned off.

Can't say much about the first light, but I suspect you are in error about the second light. (but not being there I obviously can't be certain).

It looks like you have what is known as a three plate ceiling rose, one terminal block for neutrals which has the two blue wires coming from the ceiling and one blue wire going to the light fitting, one for lives which is most likely the three brown wires in the middle and one for the return from the light switch which has one brown wire coming from the ceiling and one going to the lamp.

Hope you have the power off as some of these will be live even with the switch at the wall turned off.

Yeh, I have the switch tripped in the fuse box for the lights..

The middle section of each rose is marked as Loop. What confused me was that the two wires for the second light looked like Live but one is going to the Loop block.

• Advertisement

meercat wrote: »
    2nd light
    Put all neutral wires (Blue)into connection block and connect to light(N)
    Put 3 brown wires (they’re already connected together in pic) in connection block and don’t connect to new fitting
    Connect remaining brown wire into new Light fitting (L)

Make sure power is off

Thank you for that. Should have said the middle section of each rose is marked as Loop as as I mentioned above, the wires which looked the same colour which threw me off too.
    There are two places to in the light fitting to connect N and L wires so I can put put N wires in there & the one L wire as you note.
    Thanks so much!

Advertisement