Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crossing from Cherbourg to Dublin tonight

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Kmum

On the food.. we did have a stash and we were aware of the storm but Irish Ferries didn’t specify how much of a delay until we’d checked in. We’ve done the rosslare-France route for a good few years and I’d never have anticipated a 13hr delay. There’s only so much dry food you can stomach. If they’d given more details in their text or when I called I would have emptied out the cooler box and stocked up on more substantial food.

My main issue with the food was the different standards and portions for those using the voucher. It should have been for anymeal in the bistro place or for a value that you could add to. I can forgive the queues etc. I also don’t think 1 meal to cover 13hrs is sufficient. I will follow up with them and see what the response is. There is no compensation due when delays are due to weather but they are obliged to provide adequate meals, drinks and snacks according to the consumer protection website.

Finally looks like we’re pulling in!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Glad the ordeal (voyage) is over for you. It looks to me this delay wasn't all storm related - as a frequent passenger to Cherbourg from Rosslare I'd question why they removed Rosslare as the Irish leg - Dublin is a very busy port! I travelled across only a few weeks ago and had another 3 hours drive ahead of me after Dublin - I really wouldn't fancy that drive at this hour especially as a delay at sea can get quite exhausting!

Weather isn't avoidable unfortunately and these things can happen and I'd much rather be safe. Enjoy the Terra firma!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

It will be interesting to know how much of the delay was time spent waiting to dock. Weather is weather but if they have locked themselves into berthing arrangements so tight that they are vulnerable to long delays, they are asking for (and found) even more trouble.

I've been a happy customer of IF on the Rosslare/OW for years but nothing I'm hearing about the Yeats and Dublin Port is giving me confidence.

Wow, glad the end is just about in sight. Can't wait to see videos..it's a route I know very well but moreso from Rosslare from holidays as a child but obviously not that ship. I'd be very curious to know the difference in handling a storm of equal size between this ship and the old one, the Normandy. I'm sure it had plenty in its time but we only ever experienced one bad crossing and it sounds very mild compared to this.

As far as I know, the Normandie never operated from Ireland. Its the boat thar Brittany Ferries operate from Portsmouth to Caen (and still do I think.)

The Irish Ferries vessel on the Rosslare Route was the Oscar Wilde.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

First Up wrote: »
    As far as I know, the Normandie never operated from Ireland. Its the boat thar Brittany Ferries operate from Portsmouth to Caen (and still do I think.)

The Irish Ferries vessel on the Rosslare Route was the Oscar Wilde.

Mv Normandy sailed Rosslare to roscoff or Cherbourg for Irish ferries from 1999-2008,it was scrapped in 2012, might be before your time;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭WicklowTiger

This demonstrates clearly the madness of moving the route to Dublin Port from Rosslare. In the next couple of months the Enniscorthy bypass opens. Must people using this service are taking cars and are prepared for a long drive on the other side. They would probably have no issue with an hour and a half this side as well.

But with Dublin so busy any small delay means potentially hours waiting on a slot. And that's not even accounting for potential Brexit complications at the port. Needless to say, I'm sure they would have been docked in Rosslare hours earlier had they not moved the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

This demonstrates clearly the madness of moving the route to Dublin Port from Rosslare. In the next couple of months the Enniscorthy bypass opens. Must people using this service are taking cars and are prepared for a long drive on the other side. They would probably have no issue with an hour and a half this side as well.

But with Dublin so busy any small delay means potentially hours waiting on a slot. And that's not even accounting for potential Brexit complications at the port. Needless to say, I'm sure they would have been docked in Rosslare hours earlier had they not moved the route.

I agree. I have a longer drive to Rosslare but I don't mind the extra hour or so, very little traffic and straight down to the port in Rosslare versus more tolls or a packed quays in the city. It makes no sense because this is a faster ship than the OW but you don't get the benefit as it has longer to travel by sea from Dublin too.

vicwatson wrote:
    Mv Normandy sailed Rosslare to roscoff or Cherbourg for Irish ferries from 1999-2008,it was scrapped in 2012, might be before your time

I guess so; I've travelled to France with BF, Stena and IF. I can't recall when I first used IF but the Oscar Wilde is the only vessel I remember using. (Brittany Ferries have operated a ferry called MV Normandie on the Portsmouth - Caen run for many years. Maybe there's two of them.)

You'd expect a brand new ship like the Yeats to perform much better than much older earlier models from your childhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Is the new ship serving Rosslare at all or is it solely Dublin?

road_high wrote: »
    Is the new ship serving Rosslare at all or is it solely Dublin?

Just Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭pm.

pm. wrote:
    I got my son to upload the videos to YouTube

Thanks
    How busy was the ship?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Odelay

pm. wrote: »

Looks fairly normal to me?

Thanks
    How busy was the ship?

I'd say 75 to 80% full. The videos don't really do justice to how rough it felt on board, every now and then a monster wave would hit and scare the crap out of you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Odelay wrote: »

Ah you can see there's a big swell.

Normal isn't ceiling tiles falling down from the ceilings, restaurants / shop closing, glass behind the bars smashing into the floor and people not leaving there rooms because it was so difficult to walk... As I said the videos really show the true experience

pm. wrote:
    Normal isn't ceiling tiles falling down from the ceilings, restaurants / shop closing, glass behind the bars smashing into the floor and people not leaving there rooms because it was so difficult to walk... As I said the videos really show the true experience

I hope they fix the roof properly because you get seas like that every crossing in November.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

There's always one.....

I hope they fix the roof properly because you get seas like that every crossing in November.

If that was the case I don't think irish ferries would be in business too long taking over 30 hours to complete a trip that should take 18, the consent back log would cause them to fold in no time.

pm. wrote:
    If that was the case I don't think irish ferries would be in business too long taking over 30 hours to complete a trip that should take 18, the consent back log would cause them to fold in no time.

From the videos presented it looked no worse than a typical winter crossing but presumably the delayed departure meant they missed some of the worst of it.

I'm still curious to know how much of the delay was due to the unavailability of a berth in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

From the videos presented it looked no worse than a typical winter crossing but presumably the delayed departure meant they missed some of the worst of it.

I'm still curious to know how much of the delay was due to the unavailability of a berth in Dublin.

Also as I posted they sheltered for a number of hours off Falmouth in Cornwall which caused a big delay

Storm 10 wrote:
    Also as I posted they sheltered for a number of hours off Falmouth in Cornwall which caused a big delay

A baptism of fire (so to speak) for the new ship. They might have erred on the side of caution as it may have been the worst conditions it had experienced - and for sure the worst with a passenger load.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭prunudo

I saw this post on fb and was reminded of this thread!
    https://www.facebook.com/49697772862/posts/10157202749877863/?sfnsn=mo

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Looks like she handled it pretty well all told. Last time they did something like that with the 'Epsilon' there was 12 Million quids worth of cars trucks and freight destroyed on the vehicle decks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭ Alyson Plain Wasteland

Fairly normal ! Haha. Must have never done that crossing.

Also not normal to add a question mark to the end of a sentence that is not a question......????????

Fairly normal ! Haha. Must have never done that crossing.

Rough seas are quite common on that crossing, as the crew and commercial drivers know very well. Once a year holiday makers travelling with kids are less prepared.

The ferry looked well able for it (apart from the loose ceiling tiles) but the captain may have been ultra cautious, given the newness of the ship and the amateurs among the passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Odelay

Rough seas are quite common on that crossing, as the crew and commercial drivers know very well. Once a year holiday makers travelling with kids are less prepared.

The ferry looked well able for it (apart from the loose ceiling tiles) but the captain may have been ultra cautious, given the newness of the ship and the amateurs among the passengers.

Exactly. It looked uncomfortable but nothing exceptional.
    I was expecting something like this...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uOhT8pDuoqU

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Exactly. It looked uncomfortable but nothing exceptional.
    I was expecting something like this...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uOhT8pDuoqU

I don't think the OP would have been posting on Boards on the ferry if that was the case :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Seems like a seriously steady ship in those videos

• Advertisement

Seems like a seriously steady ship in those videos

Thought so too.

Advertisement