Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD or RCSI?

167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Kirby2k07

I gave it my best shot searching the forum, but I can't for the life of myself find the start date for UCD GEM.
    Can anyone there at the moment give us a general idea when first years start- academic start and/or any orientation that might take place in the previous week? Booking some last minute holzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭e1994

Kirby2k07 wrote: »
    I gave it my best shot searching the forum, but I can't for the life of myself find the start date for UCD GEM.
    Can anyone there at the moment give us a general idea when first years start- academic start and/or any orientation that might take place in the previous week? Booking some last minute holzzz

I emailed and was directed here:
    http://www.ucd.ie/students/keydates.htm
    I think the orientation week begins the 3rd/4th and I was told there are a couple of talks during that week that are compulsory for GEM students 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SplishySplashy

Most of the GEMs from out of the country in my year stayed on campus for the first year, and like the rest of us, moved in with one another for year 2 onwards. Unless you get on to a facebook group or something, it'll be difficult to find accommodation with GEMS for year one.

The Dublin rental market is absolutely pants at the moment, and you'll be paying a fortune for anywhere. I know Cork isn't exactly cheap, but it may be the straw that breaks the camel's back for you as a student.

UCD is located on multiple bus lines and has quite a bit of bicycle parking so you'll be grand going to lectures etc. Mater and Vincent's are similar, with both being well served by bus routes. UCD rotate through Crumlin, Temple Street, Holles Street, and St. John of God's in Dublin. They also rotate to Tullamore and Wexford (unless I've forgotten another), though will provide you with accommodation (as will RCSI to the best of my knowledge). What I'm getting at is that the UCD rotations are all easy to get to via public transport or bicycle from most parts of Dublin and so are suited to students. The only one I remember being an absolute pain was Cappagh, though I was only there for a few days.

I'm not as familiar with RCSIs rotations but know they use Beaumont a bit, as well as Connolly, neither as central as the Mater to be fair.

You could stay in most parts of Dublin and probably be ok for UCD. A lot of my mates lived in Phibsboro for instance and cycled every day, then went to the Mater for res year. They were happy. I lived southside (it was the recession then, I was renting a nice double room for 400 euro - :pac:) and went to Vincent's. I was happy.

My knowledge of Cork is SLIM. As you're already living there you may know better, and could see what areas would be simpler for a student. Definitely have a look at the cost of renting, as it doesn't look like it's going to slow in Dublin at all in the near future.

Post-call again so apologies for the rambling!!

Braced for the rent costs myself if UCD wins out, but thanks so much for your run-down! As long as the GEM classes are accommodating enough to get houses with from year 2 on I'd love it, also have friends in Maynooth if commuting isn't too unmanageable

Thanks a mil, ramble appreciated!

Advertisement