Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Light Snow - Overnight Wed/Thu 6th/7th January 2021

• 05-01-2021 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭

Might as well put up a separate thread for this "event".

A cold front will move southeastwards across the country overnight Wednesday and into Thursday morning. As it does so it should readily turn to snow over land, however its intensity will most likely decrease the further southeastwards it moves.

ECM sounding show fairly good snow parameters (i.e. sub-zero through the lower levels and saturation up to near -10 C, which is just about getting into the optimum dendritic-growth zone). The cloud layer will not be very deep so precipitation should be fairly light, but inland northwest and north midlands should see the best intensity, with areas into Leinster also seeing something in the way of snowfall.

It will be during the night and it will pass through fairly quickly, but it is worth at least keeping an interested eye on.

538417.gif

538418.gif

538419.gif

538397.png

538395.png

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭murfo

Let me guess, that swathe of blue turns green as soon as it hits north county Dublin

I intend to be sound asleep as this won't have enough Oooomph to get to this side of the wicklow mtns

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Hmmm, there is an interesting "wave" on that front as it pushes south too, a triple point develops, could pep up a bit too?

• Advertisement

Bit weird how the front avoids my area.

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Bit weird how the front avoids my area.

That's the way models can go sometimes, but remember they're indicative only - nothing is guaranteed at all.

AuntySnow wrote: »
    I intend to be sound asleep as this won't have enough Oooomph to get to this side of the wicklow mtns

Reverse psychology only works on kids, not weather :D:D:D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

GL predicting snow is like Kermit predicting a heatwave. This must surely be a sure thing! :pac:

(a compliment dont worry)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

I think the frog has hacked GL account...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

pad199207 wrote: »

Yes!!! I might be in with a chance after all! Thought it was only east coast who would get a look in for snow this cold spell ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

KingJeremy wrote: »
    Yes!!! I might be in with a chance after all! Thought it was only east coast who would get a look in for snow this cold spell ;-)

Looks like most of us in with a chance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Hopefully there will no last minute downgrades. It's just unfortunate that the precipitation will be light. Still it will be nice to get a dusting. I knew that snow in the shade was hanging around for a reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This is pretty much nailed in terms of snow but I think will be quite light beyond the midlands.

It will be falling on very cold or frozen surfaces so no flake will go to waste.

This is pretty much nailed in terms of snow but I think will be quite light beyond the midlands.

It will be falling on very cold or frozen surfaces so no flake will go to waste.

Let’s hope so. We had a similar event a year or two ago that stayed as snow... produced 5cm in some areas of Donegal but did not stick here as not much snow fell.

When the precipitation arrived, it fell as virga. The Temps rose to 2c... and it turned to rain about an hour later.. east of us in Belfast, Antrim etc nothing fell at all.

So that is a potential - virga. Not being negative but these kind of events have the potential to evaporate away on the leeward side of mountains.

I will be watching the Inishowen mountains to see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,694 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

is this similar to what we got on NYE? very light dusting in Dublin but it was nice

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

The northwest looks the best place to be on Wednesday night and Thursday morning for Snow and the best rates. Parts of Donegal, Derry, Tyrone and Fermanagh seen up to 5cm elsewhere between 1cm to 3cm. Met Eireann may go with a nationwide warning tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Is there a chance wexford could get some snow from this?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Is there a chance wexford could get some snow from this?

Mostly likely not a whole lot could die out before it gets that far. Possibly a few flurries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I need to post this. Don't be expecting to be snowed in.

538432.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The ECM has upped the amount of precip expected in the midlands a tad. Snow more prolonged but lighter further east. So that's a minor upgrade I guess.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

murfo wrote: »
    Let me guess, that swathe of blue turns green as soon as it hits north county Dublin

Correct. It’s more like a sNOw event. :D :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Yes the NW and parts of the N should get a good coating of snow from this, light down along the country but a lot of areas could have a white dusting first light on Thurs, N midlands could get a decent coating of a couple of cm's. Getting very cold quickly on Weds evening ahead of the front, any snow that falls will be slow to clear especially the further N which looks to hold into Fri and could stay largely intact on the ground in the NW /N until Saturday with the temperatures staying so cold.

kiwpI0r.gif

dlu1Pu1.gif

mLkeD8g.png

I57OEmC.png

OeiaM11.png

rgHikhK.gif

Looks middling for me. It depends on the wind direction and the temps before it arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

ME UPDATE: Wednesday night: Outbreaks of rain in the west and northwest will edge southeastwards over the country on Wednesday night, turning to sleet and snow in places, particularly across parts of midlands and north leading to poor travelling conditions. Lowest temperatures of -3 to +2 degrees, with frost and icy patches. Freezing fog patches may also occur overnight in the light variable breezes, which will become light westerly by morning

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Hirlam has the band of precipitation heaviest across the west and north. it dissolves fairly rapidly once it moves south of Northern Ireland and into the republic. By the time it is moving south over Meath and Dublin, there is not much precipitation left in it and some places could even stay dry.

fmiuk-1-50-0.png?05-19

Icon is roughly similar, the band dissolves as it moves south-eastwards and breaks up over Kildare, Wicklow, Dublin failing to reach Wexford, Waterford.

iconeu_uk1-1-44-0.png?05-16

Arpege is more or less the same but the band of patchy precipitation just about makes it to the south-east.

arpegeuk-1-46-0.png?05-17

GFS shows heavier precipitation than the others and it makes it's way through the country intact, however it turns to rain as it pushes southwards.

48-574UK.GIF?05-12

What do we need for this to stay as snow throughout? 850’s warm to -4c but I imagine it’s more than that?

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    What do we need for this to stay as snow throughout? 850’s warm to -4c but I imagine it’s more than that?

Thickness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The situation on Friday also needs watching.
    This low to our East is nudging further West with every run.
    A further continued shift could give significant snow to the East on Friday daytime!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

The situation on Friday also needs watching.
    This low to our East is nudging further West with every run.
    A further continued shift could give significant snow to the East on Friday daytime!!
    Red warning!!

Advertisement