Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bank of Ireland Discussion Thread

• 21-01-2009 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭

This thread is for discussing Bank of Ireland, the possibility of nationalisation, the share price, etc. Please post on this thread rather than making new threads about Bank of Ireland on this forum.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

Nice rally with boi today, anyone in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

when would you say that BOI will be completely safe from nationalisation ?

I need to pile into them to bring my average down, but I'm afraid of losing everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

zod wrote: »

I need to pile into them to bring my average down, but I'm afraid of losing everything.

Your question is a contradiction in terms. Obviously, if and when BOI start to look a bit safer, the share price will have risen accordingly.

I bought 52k shares with boi this morn but got out at 0.40, I am quite happy to take some profit and just daytrade with present market, with present uncertain market and large swings anything is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭neil.p.b

sorry to make another one of these, but i want to buy shares, in a way, i went through all the hassle of setting up a spread betting account with igindex only to find out that both banks are now close deals only (buying shares allowed, no spread betting on them) so where should i go to buy the shares? i want it to be online, with instant transactions and fast to set up an account. there's alot of opinions on spread betting places on here but no general concensus on where online is best to buy and sell shares. If anyone has any advice id appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

wyndham wrote: »
    Your question is a contradiction in terms. Obviously, if and when BOI start to look a bit safer, the share price will have risen accordingly.

I know the price will rise accordingly .. but if you are basing their *safeness* based on stock price (which I won't be) where do you set that price at €1, €2 ..€5 ?

I was hoping for an event like for example "The bank have managed to secure private funding of €1 billion and along with the 2 billion from the gov they are now safe from nationalisation"

Now what do people think that event(s) would be ?

i saw that, but most advise is sharebetting sites, is there any other sites apart from sharewatch(bad reviews) and goodbody(expensive)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

i have a NIB on line trading service.

My friend, the other day was agog to buy AIB shares when they were 40 cent.. He went into two major banks who recommended he ring davys, etc etc , papers sent out , verify id, etc, weeks away before action .

He got a similiar tale fron NIB but went back and got someone else at the counter. set up in possibly only one day. now trading.

Try them

regards, Rugbyman

rugbyman wrote: »
    i have a NIB on line trading service.

My friend, the other day was agog to buy AIB shares when they were 40 cent.. He went into two major banks who recommended he ring davys, etc etc , papers sent out , verify id, etc, weeks away before action .

He got a similiar tale fron NIB but went back and got someone else at the counter. set up in possibly only one day. now trading.

Try them

regards, Rugbyman

Agree, nibs fees are quite good also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,176 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Another thread on gambling buying Aib/Boi shares. Great. :rolleyes:

sorry i meant to write gambling in my thread title. hey, no risk no gain, some may be happy with with a certain return and security, some take the risk to reap the huge possible return. all a matter of opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

paul-tudor-jones.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

I know the price will rise accordingly .. but if you are basing their *safeness* based on stock price (which I won't be) where do you set that price at €1, €2 ..€5 ?

I was hoping for an event like for example "The bank have managed to secure private funding of €1 billion and along with the 2 billion from the gov they are now safe from nationalisation"

Now what do people think that event(s) would be ?

Think it's pretty widely known that the bank has failed to secure private funding and that is why the government is injecting more money to recapatalise rather than having to nationalise the bank. So with nationalisation seemingly on the back burner for the time being the share price should go up - barring any major international banks going tits up in the next while

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Another thread on gambling buying Aib/Boi shares. Great. :rolleyes:

Tell me about it. Merged into BoI thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Any updates on BOI? Seems like they'll survive, their share price is on the up but nowhere near the rate that AIB's is. Are they as good value?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Gerbud

They seem fairly volatile as of late..

Any opinions on the current state of their share value & any future predictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Corkbhoy8

Does anyone know where I could get information on the different strategies these two banks have followed from 1999 onwards..? I know the annual reports are there but I dont really know how to start analysing them so im looking for reading material really...or any knowledge you might have on the subject? Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

Ive had a BOI PIP for 8 years. Have paid in 13k. Its now worth 9k.

I really dont know what to do for the best.

If I pull my dosh now ive lost 4 grand. If i hold on it MAY recover the lost ground and more.

Anyone else got one? What are your thoughts...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 berntcar43

Am i mad or Am i wise.

This is my 1st post on this message board.

Can i have some feed back please .thanks

• Advertisement

I have just bought some Bank of Ireland shares.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Roonbox

buying Bank of Ireland shares right in the middle of a world banking crisis is, in my opinion, nuts.

If you think the share price is going to make up the ground its lost this year forget it.

this is a big problem that will take years to iron out. The big losses are only starting to come in. Plenty banks will go bankrupt, maybe even Bank Of Ireland.

Put your money in Gold and Silver

Roonbox wrote: »
    buying Bank of Ireland shares right in the middle of a world banking crisis is, in my opinion, nuts.

If you think the share price is going to make up the ground its lost this year forget it.

this is a big problem that will take years to iron out. The big losses are only starting to come in. Plenty banks will go bankrupt, maybe even Bank Of Ireland.

Put your money in Gold and Silver

Do you think this could go bust.

I was thinking of staying in for a year or so.

Would you advise me to take a loss and get out?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭pocketdooz

Can you outline 3 reasons why you bought this stock please ?

1 I thought it had it hit rockbottom and it would rise.Just like Royal BANK of Scotland didIt went from 10p to 24 p.(its also fell like hell about 2 hours ago(

2 The price it was last year made me think long term it would be a good investment.

3 I have shares in uk and usa stocks ,so i thought i would buy some Irish ones.
    Not such a clever reason to be honest.

I have seen a big fall i nthese i bought at 0.65p a few days ago.

I am not sure weather to jump ship at a loss or stay.

Will they go bust ?This is my fear.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Threads merged.

Sorry i posted a seperate thread.

I will not do it again.

I am not in Ireland ,what are people saying about this banks future.

Any feed back would be nice thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭pocketdooz

You're gambling imo

You know little to nothing about the company. The reasons you listed for buying the stock are invalid and are not basis for making a purchase.

Either you are a level . . . actually, yeah, I think you are a level.

But, on the off-chance that you're not . . . either put up and wait it out or sell. Cos you haven't got the stomach for this stock is how it seems to me.

When it took a dive,straight after i bought them.It was a shock.

I got RBS shares and they did well an went up and i madea few quid.I also got out at the right time with them .As today they have took a big dive.

BKIR is a different kettle of fish.Not sure what to do.

What is a level?

Please.

I will give this share till summer .Unless talk of Nationalisation rears its ugly head then i am out of it.

Has anyone else got these on here .

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,176 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

berntcar43 wrote: »
    I have just bought some Bank of Ireland shares.

seriously? I dont believe that anyone would buy BOI shares at the minute tbh

Advertisement