Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So I got called for Jury Service...

• 10-10-2018 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭

I’ve gotten a jury call for next month in the circuit court.

No point in even considering looking for an excuse as I don’t have any valid reason for not doing it .. however I’m trying to make some arrangements work wise just in case.

In reality how likely are you to actually be selected ?

If selected what are the normal operating times of the court / when I’d be expected to be there ?

Is there any time during the day when I could take work calls / log in etc .. or is your time more or less court & lunch ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭looksee

How likely are you to be selected...it depends on what you look like (how someone else perceives you) and what the case is. The last time I was called the case was a young guy up for some sort of thievery. I look like an older (which I am), quite severe woman (just the way my face sits :D) and I was promptly ousted. Daft thing was I was at the time working with people his age, not necessarily delinquents but not high flying college students either, and I had a very positive attitude towards them.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭TheIronyMaiden

looksee wrote: »
    How likely are you to be selected...it depends on what you look like (how someone else perceives you) and what the case is. The last time I was called the case was a young guy up for some sort of thievery. I look like an older (which I am), quite severe woman (just the way my face sits :D) and I was promptly ousted. Daft thing was I was at the time working with people his age, not necessarily delinquents but not high flying college students either, and I had a very positive attitude towards them.

Yep, this. I got selected and saw a complete mix of people be vetoed. It's pretty much down to the case you get.
    Also, your whole day is taken up - no down time at all. Well apart from your lunch hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭Gerry T

For me your called for a week, show up every m9rni g. Jury's selected and those not picked go to work, that's about 10am. Show up the next day repeat.
    If selected case could be 3 days, maybe 5 or if unlucky much longer. You have zero time during the day, brought to lunch in a cop van and back. No time to yourself until the evenings

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

Pretty much what I expected !! Also what is the dress code for jurors .. I’m assuming it’s what ever you normally wear ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There is no official dress code but I wouldn't turn up in shorts or wearing a dirty t-shirt. What you look like (incl. what you're wearing) will have a major bearing on whether you're accepted or not when you step forward as a prospective juror. Prosecution and defence counsel (the barristers) can each reject up to seven prospective jurors 'without cause shown' i.e. without giving any reason. Too smart or too scruffy and one side will reject you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Can you not just dress up like an absolute weirdo then as a get-out?

Can you not just dress up like an absolute weirdo then as a get-out?

Go too far and the judge could take it as contempt, next stop a trip in the paddywagon to Mountjoy for seven days. I wouldn't be testing the limits.

You can dress down without looking like a weirdo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Just stare the be-jasus out of who ever it is and you wont be selected ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

coylemj wrote: »
    Go too far and the judge could take it as contempt, next stop a trip in the paddywagon to Mountjoy for seven days. I wouldn't be testing the limits.

You can dress down without looking like a weirdo.

I'd actually love to try and find where the line is here :pac:
    I mean obviously a mankini under a kilt would be too far...
    But would shorts and a hawaiian shirt count as contempt for example? Or just dungarees? Seems like the judge could have quite a lot of leeway in basically deciding whether you're taking the the piss or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I was called before but attending would mean a 80 Mile round trip plus I would have to take time off work. I phoned and explained that it didn't suit to which I was told absolutely no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭markpb

Truckermal wrote: »
    I was called before but attending would mean a 80 Mile round trip

How did that happen?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Title amended for clarity.
    Jury service is an important civic function.
    No more comedians, pls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭ezra_

Is the pool drawn from Revenue or Electoral data?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

ezra_ wrote: »
    Is the pool drawn from Revenue or Electoral data?

Electoral register. One of the reasons people sometimes give for not voting!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ShamrockAir

whippet wrote: »

No point in even considering looking for an excuse as I don’t have any valid reason for not doing it ..

" a priest or minister of any denomination can be exempted from jury duty."

Have you ever though of becoming a minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster?

That would be enough to get you off the hook and we are always looking for more members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

L1011 wrote: »
    Electoral register. One of the reasons people sometimes give for not voting!

One of mine anyway, though a very small part.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭meforever

I was summoned for jury duty in July. Having a kid with special needs was deemed reason enough for exemption.

If unsuccessful, was preparing to arrive in clean but BO laden sweaty clothes. Keep in mind this was during our heatwave. Can't imagine how this would have failed.

Nobody has time for this outdated ritual. Being told how to vote by people wearing wigs is degrading and weird.

I’ve gotten a jury call for next month in the circuit court.

No point in even considering looking for an excuse as I don’t have

One can always find an excuse. Back trouble / depression as non definable conditions come to mind.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I recognised a witness, told the panel and got excused. Local Court though. Who's to say something similar won't happen to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

The type of work you do could exempt you also.

Two people I know were excused jury duty because they could come in contact with and might be recognised by people associated with the accused after the case was over.

One is a HSE dentist and the other worked full-time in a large store in Dublin city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

From memory from when I was on a jury pool (didn't get picked) the outline of the case is read out to everyone first. Wondered at the time if you told the judge you already had formed an opinion on the defendant would it get you excused?

meforever wrote: »
    If unsuccessful, was preparing to arrive in clean but BO laden sweaty clothes. Keep in mind this was during our heatwave. Can't imagine how this would have failed.

You think that the lawyers and court officials all smell of roses and Old Spice?

coylemj wrote: »
    You think that the lawyers and court officials all smell of roses and Old Spice?

No not at all...I am uneasy with anything I deem to be flawed. I realise jury is viewed by some as a structural part of a civilised society. I for my own reasons don't buy into it and by such admission would be poor material as a jury member.

Nobody should be forced to be part of such ordeals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

OP here and just for clarification ... I have no issue with doing Jury Duty and I happen to think of it as something that should be treated with respect .. I am more interested in the mechanics of the whole thing and trying to legislate for the probability of being off the radar for a couple of days work wise.

I had a chat with my boss and he said that in the last couple of years they are clamping down on the usual attempts of making excuses from a work point of view. And unless it is fairly exceptional excuses don't wash ... the last time they said that the employee was vital to the business and they couldn't be without them .. they were asked 'what about annual leave' and how do they cope when the employee is on holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

From what I can remember when I last served many years ago, if we were either rejected or not required that day, then back to life/work whatever and turn up next day until you are either selected or your time in the jury pool is over, I think that's two weeks.

I ended up being selected on day three for a quite traumatic case which lasted two and a half weeks. I have to say while it was tough, it was very interesting to see how the courts work etc. and being on a jury we were well taken care of grub wise.

Anyway, lo and behold a few months ago I was called AGAIN! Couldn't believe it as no one in either my family or my circle has been called even once! But I have developed a severe hearing problem and I knew I would not be able to hear the evidence, so with a doctor's explanation, I was discharged no problem. This was a genuine issue for me, I just could not do it if I could not hear the proceedings properly.

So, OP if you are not called you go back to work, if you are selected, who knows how long the case may last. Tough one for you, but as others have said it is our civic duty, apart from genuine cases who cannot serve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

I was called last summer for a relatively long case ( 4 weeks ). It was a gruelling experience in certain respects but also very interesting.

The criminal courts are like a different world, amazing to see what goes on in this country. I never knew there could be such a high volume of criminal activity, pretty much an industry in its own right.

Overall I found it a valuable life experience, something I would do again. But it can be exhausting, depending on the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cockadoodledoo

I was called a few years ago and spent most of the time sitting in a room chatting amongst ourselves. Some were reading a book and others were in and out of the room.

Then we actually got called in for jury selection which took maybe half an hour and back again in the afternoon for a second selection for another case. I was back in work by 3pm.

In my experience there was nothing to stop you from taking a call but I think we were delayed and they weren’t ready.

It’s a fascinating experience though but I didn’t get selected :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

I've been called up twice (and I'm only 25). In both cases I genuinely was going on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭mojesius

In reality how likely are you to actually be selected ?

Depends on the number of cases that are taking place and the demographics of the jury the defence/prosecution are after. You could be called up and rejected by defence/prosecution several times or your number might not get called up at all.

I've been in for jury duty twice, both in CCJ. First time, I was 21 and went in for three days for selection, morning at 9 until around lunchtime. Got rejected by defence twice. You could read/do work during this selection process if you're not put on a case straight away. Second time, I was selected for jury duty and case lasted a week.

If selected what are the normal operating times of the court / when I’d be expected to be there ? For selection, iirc morning until early afternoon.

For cases, I think it was 930-430 but this depends on the judge and the day's proceedings

Is there any time during the day when I could take work calls / log in etc .. or is your time more or less court & lunch ?

If you're on a case, you have won't have time. It's court/jury room/lunch. It's an out of office duty for sure. Plus as others have mentioned, cases can be quite intense mentally and psychologically and flipping between the case and work would be tough going. You might need evenings to relax or digest what's happened in court that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭BobMc

I've been called twice, something personally I'd love to do.

However, myself and my dad (he's 66) run a family business just the two of us, I do all the production, he does phones and pays bills etc. etc the money side. I write via registered post simple explanation, I'm not at work no work done, no wages
    for either family

but love to do it someday maybe when I retire, Guilty your Honour !

Advertisement