Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clerical Officer 2018

• 15-06-2018 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭

New clerical officer competition is open. Best of luck to everyone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭HydroTendonMan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Ygritte

What does DPER mean on the employing authority?

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Moving2017

Ygritte wrote: »
    What does DPER mean on the employing authority?

The Department of Public Expenditure and Reform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Ygritte

So does that mean it's just that department or is it the whole civil service?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Conqueror

DPER are in charge of recruitment to the civil service, but the competition is for roles across the civil service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭natc

Best of luck to everyone! I got in on the 2016 panel and I love what I’m doing now, have never looked back. Hoping many of you have the same outcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭HugoMyBoss

natc wrote: »
    Best of luck to everyone! I got in on the 2016 panel and I love what I’m doing now, have never looked back. Hoping many of you have the same outcome!

I got in last year 2017, dont think much of it, momey is crap, no benefits, even have to bring in your own mug, teabag, sugar and milk for a brew.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭PinkLady2016

I just applied for it now. Although I did apply in 2016 never got an interview so hoping for a better return this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

This is excluding County Dublin. Does anyone know will there be one for Dublin issued separately?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Syndic

Jade182 wrote: »
    This is excluding County Dublin. Does anyone know will there be one for Dublin issued separately?

It states in the information booklet that a competition for Dublin may open early 2019.

• Advertisement

HugoMyBoss wrote: »
    I got in last year 2017, dont think much of it, momey is crap, no benefits, even have to bring in your own mug, teabag, sugar and milk for a brew.

To be fair a lot of jobs don’t supply tea etc to staff. Don’t know why you would assume otherwise.

Money may not be great but realistically for the work you do it’s adequate. Plenty of room for promotion and training in different areas if you want.

I went in to it mainly for the working hours. Flexi time, Monday to Friday is exactly what I wanted with a young family. It’s not always about money.

To be fair a lot of jobs don’t supply tea etc to staff. Don’t know why you would assume otherwise.

Money may not be great but realistically for the work you do it’s adequate. Plenty of room for promotion and training in different areas if you want.

I went in to it mainly for the working hours. Flexi time, Monday to Friday is exactly what I wanted with a young family. It’s not always about money.

What areas are these?

I always assumed that work provided tea & coffee etc., all previous jobs did.

What areas are these?

I always assumed that work provided tea & coffee etc., all previous jobs did.

Maybe it’s dependent on the department your assigned to but with my local division if you want you can be trained in all the different sections. They offer training courses in various fields, Microsoft packages, customer service, people management, strategic policy making to mention but a few. They will also cover tuition fees for 3rd level courses up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

I'm fairness there's good opportunity for promotion also. I came in off 2016 panel and am already an EO. The new campaign for that should open toward the end of this year

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Any salary information?

Maybe it’s dependent on the department your assigned to but with my local division if you want you can be trained in all the different sections. They offer training courses in various fields, Microsoft packages, customer service, people management, strategic policy making to mention but a few. They will also cover tuition fees for 3rd level courses up front.

Going back to the money issue, do you not find yourself under constant pressure with your day to day job?. I always presummed that the low salary would be offset with benefits. Job training and 3rd level fees are common with a lot of companies.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Any salary information?

Around 380 euro a week in hand for a single person.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

Mc Love wrote: »
    Any salary information?

22,879 – 24,375 – 24,756 – 25,498 – 26,592 – 27,684 – 28,777 – 29,869 – 30,931 – 31,995 – 32,743 – 33,795 – 34,840 – 36,471 – 37,753¹ – 38,341²

1= After three years satisfactory service at the maximum.
    2= After six years satisfactory service at the maximum

http://www.impact.ie/your-sector/public-sector/civil-service/civil-service-salary-scales/civil-servcie-salary-scales-2017-general-service-grades-full-prsi/

Subutai wrote: »
    22,879 – 24,375 – 24,756 – 25,498 – 26,592 – 27,684 – 28,777 – 29,869 – 30,931 – 31,995 – 32,743 – 33,795 – 34,840 – 36,471 – 37,753¹ – 38,341²

1= After three years satisfactory service at the maximum.
    2= After six years satisfactory service at the maximum

http://www.impact.ie/your-sector/public-sector/civil-service/civil-service-salary-scales/civil-servcie-salary-scales-2017-general-service-grades-full-prsi/

380 euro extra p.a going from year 2 to 3 :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Kmhgallagher7

I’m currently number one for Laois from the 2016 panel so am really really hoping that I get a job from that panel as I might not get as far up the list on this one. I was 25th in line for Laois, it was a very slow moving one 😱

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

380 euro extra p.a going from year 2 to 3 :confused:

Welcome to the public sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

CLERICAL OFFICER (PPC)
    €23,107 €24,619 €25,004 €25,753 €26,858 €27,961 €29,065 €30,168
    €31,241 €32,315 €33,070 €34,133 €35,188 €36,836 €38,131¹ €38,724²

Revised 2018 payscale

To get weekly divide annual by 52.18

Going back to the money issue, do you not find yourself under constant pressure with your day to day job?. I always presummed that the low salary would be offset with benefits. Job training and 3rd level fees are common with a lot of companies.

Not really to be honest. I was out of work for 8 years before getting this job so with only one income for a long time we learned to manage. The extra salary from me working now has made a huge difference to us.

I would imagine if your living in or near Dublin trying to live on this salary would be quite tough for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Crap compared to what?

€442 a week starting off is more than a lot of people get. If you can get a job that pays more go for it.

Flexi time is a fantastic benefit. Any day you want you can come in at 10am and go home at 4pm. Extra 1.5 days off per month if you work up the time.

Promotion and training opportunities available also. Total job security. Pay rises every single year guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

mdwexford wrote: »
    Crap compared to what?

€442 a week starting off is more than a lot of people get. If you can get a job that pays more go for it.

Flexi time is a fantastic benefit. Any day you want you can come in at 10am and go home at 4pm. Extra 1.5 days off per month if you work up the time.

Promotion and training opportunities available also. Total job security. Pay rises every single year guaranteed.

Don't forget the restorations that are to be applied between now and 2020. It all adds up.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Don't forget the restorations that are to be applied between now and 2020. It all adds up.

Any more info?, never heard anything about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 moo23

anybody having hassle downloading the application form ??

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

moo23 wrote: »
    anybody having hassle downloading the application form ??

Make sure your default PDF handler is the latest version of Adobe Reader. I ran into problems with an alternative pdf reader the last time I did one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 clroff

I am another who got in from the 2016 panel. I knew very little about it and put in a lot of research beforehand. I remember some positive and some negative responses. But here's my take on it after a year.

I knew what the pay would be like. It's poor at the start. But I was unemployed at the time so for me it was great. Guaranteed increases each year and I'm really hoping to grab an EO position within about 5 years which would put me over €40k within a few short years, rising eventually to close to €50k.

The first thing I realised was that I wasn't taking work home with me. I'd had a couple of very busy and stressful jobs so it was brilliant to be able to shut off as you're clocking out for the day.
    I'm in an office of about 30 people and we have important work to do but it's not a stressful environment. Nobody in there is out to profit from me. Nobody is worried about how much my wages are. Nobody is worried about the future of the office. I found all that very relaxing about the civil service. People from my office are always looking into other jobs (mostly promotions, very few would like to leave) and everyone in the office (including their HEO, AP and PO) are always very supportive. There's no secret if people are looking to change or move like there would be in a lot of private sector jobs.

Flexi time is brilliant. Start work at anytime between 8am and 10am. 7hrs 24mins is a full day. You do clock out for lunch which can be anything between 30mins and 2hrs. Most people take around 30mins. Finish anytime between 4pm and 7pm.
    If you're feeling up for it work from 8am to 7pm and benefit from it in the future. If you're not feeling up to it then come in at 10am, take a 2hr lunch at 12.30 and then leave at 4pm. Fill the hours in another time.
    If you work up 7hrs24mins in a specified 4 week flexi period you get a day off in the next 4 week period. Work up 11hrs7mins and you get a day and a half.

I'm off Monday, no plans just a long weekend for myself. And I'm off Wednesday week for an appointment and I'll get another few bits done that day too. Both flexi days, no hit on my actual annual leave.

20 days holidays but with flexi time you can potentially add another 18 to that.

Refund of fees. I'm going to study part time for my degree in September and my department will refund the cost (as long as I pass!). Which is going to save me thousands. Another plus.

All in all I'm quite happy with my job. Would I recommend it? It all depends on where you are now. Some will want it to improve their incomes. Some will want it for job security. Some will want it for an improved standard of living. It's entirely up to you.

I see some negativity, including a lack of supplied tea, coffee and cutlery! Yes it's not supplied. Get off your a*se, stop moaning and start a tea kitty. Most of us pay €5 every 5 weeks and get tea, coffee, milk and butter. One of the ladies in the office organised it and it's great.

Yes the pay starts off low. Get off your arse and get an EO position (there will be plenty of them available). Put yourself on €40k+ in a non stressful job with a very good work/life balance within 7/8 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Redcat75

Well said @clroff . I did reasonably well on the last one but I had to cancel at the interview stage each time I was called and I was gutted as they passed my place quite quickly , fingers crossed I do as well with getting placed on the board this time put :) good luck everyone !

Advertisement