Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

MrVestek wrote: »
    Sounds cool.

Icy what you did there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I'd be tempted by the retron 5 but the price is waaaaaaay too steep imho.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

MrVestek wrote: »
    Sounds cool.

Such punnage can lead to a ban you know....

safetyboy wrote: »
    I need a new fridge freezer, fuuu will post details as soon as it arrives...

Got a new couch today. I **** you not I ordered it 15 weeks ago :O
    Corner couches are the king of couches ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Not sure I'd use that term to describe it to be fair, not from looking at that youtube review posted here a while back anyway. Naff controller and no flash cart support were two things I remember, also needing Arnie-like muscles to remove carts was another. Has some plus points though and obviously there's a market for it. :)

Oh are you serious? Damn :(

I was thinking the naff controller would be negated by the controller ports, but the unit itself appeared to be of good quality in photos.

Will give a youtube video a gawk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Parawind

o1s1n wrote: »
    Oh are you serious? Damn :(

I was thinking the naff controller would be negated by the controller ports, but the unit itself appeared to be of good quality in photos.

Will give a youtube video a gawk.

Only had the chance to get it out of the box this evening, the build quality is much better then it looks.

The controller definitely is an oddity however you don't have to use it and in fact you can use any controller for any game, so you can play megadrive games with a snes pad and vice versa.

What's nice to see is that there has been a second firmware update already since launch. Keep in mind when watching youtube videos that most were testing the older firmware.

Not sure about the cartridge removal issues I had heard people commenting that it can be a little tight. I will have the chance to judge that better tomorrow once I actually have some of my carts to hand.

One good thing that quite pleased me to see was that the cartridge slots have good quality flaps to keep out dust.

I know that this thing has people curious, so if anyone has any specific questions let know cause I will be putting it through its paces this weekend and happy to provide some feedback.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,698 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah, someone might finally be able to beat Ghosts 'n Goblins.

I used to be able to one credit it :P Not that hard, man up wussies!

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I used to be able to one credit it :P Not that hard, man up wussies!

Not the last time I saw you play it in Ciderdude's.... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Collected a NES (NTSC from USofA) this morning, PAL unit just wasn't cutting it with the everdrive, tempted to RGB mod it now as well :)

Price of the console + shipping still works out cheaper then buying a PAL one on Adverts..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Price of the console + shipping still works out cheaper then buying a PAL one on Adverts..

Ha, that wouldn't surprise me. I got mine for pretty cheap too. Did you get stung with customs?

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »
    Ha, that wouldn't surprise me. I got mine for pretty cheap too. Did you get stung with customs?

Yep, Ebay automatically adds import charges now for US purchases :mad:

Came with a wrestling game as well, can't think of anything worse to play..

Yep, Ebay automatically adds import charges now for US purchases :mad:

That's only if the seller opts into that service isn't it? I thought there were still some sellers doing things the old fashioned way? That global shipping program sounds like a disaster, the seller ships to an agency & the agency then strip all the sellers packaging away & use their own (bare minimum) packaging, presumably to save weight. Luke Morse has a vid about it, & things have been damaged several times on him as a result of the agencies minimal packing.

Not sure really how it works, but it looks to be very well packaged. Guess I'll find out later what its like on the inside !!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Not sure really how it works, but it looks to be very well packaged. Guess I'll find out later what its like on the inside !!

You know, I had something crude and filthy to say about that entire statement, but I've decided to be a better Mod and say nothing.
    Better I point out the potential and let you work it out for yourself.

Probably better to pay the customs stuff in advance if possible, otherwise AnPost or the courier will add their admin fees too, minimum €6, possibly up to €15.

Probably better to pay the customs stuff in advance if possible, otherwise AnPost or the courier will add their admin fees too, minimum €6, possibly up to €15.

I've been wondering that lately too, but for other reasons. Take the two US Zelda N64 games I got there a while ago, do you:

1) Look for a seller who ships the old way, & risk getting stung for customs at this end?
    2) Risk the item getting held up in customs, thus running the risk of not getting your item in time to start a dispute if there's something wrong with it?

OR

1) Find a seller using the global shipping program, & pay the customs charge straight up?
    2) This way, you'll get your item quicker in all likelihood, giving you enough time to raise a dispute if needs be?
    3) Run the added risk of your item being banged up as a result of poor agency repackaging?

Watch this vid for an explanation of how it works (it's long but worth learning about)

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    You know, I had something crude and filthy to say about that entire statement, but I've decided to be a better Mod and say nothing.
    Better I point out the potential and let you work it out for yourself.

Ha ha its waaaaay to early for that :D

But I bought the item from Ebay, not Ann Summers :p

Master of the Universe

I used to buy a lot of stuff from outside of Europe and never really got stung, ever. Only two items to my knowledge (and they were big airsoft guns, so would have drawn attention for that reason)

Consoles, games etc - never.

I used to buy a lot of stuff from outside of Europe and never really got stung, ever. Only two items to my knowledge (and they were big airsoft guns, so would have drawn attention for that reason)

Consoles, games etc - never.

It's a much more regular thing now, like yourself I'd never been stung for it. I remember buying an Ibanez guitar from the US several years ago & it got to the door no hassle. These days though, the last few things I've got have been caught...Earthbound, OoT etc

Master of the Universe

Seriously? Even on carts? That's crap! :(

Are they basing the taxes on the value written on the package or contacting you for a value?

I remember the couple of times I was stung, someone from customs got on to me to ask how much the items were worth before they could calculate the additional charges.

• Advertisement

Seriously? Even on carts? That's crap! :(

Are they basing the taxes on the value written on the package or contacting you for a value?

I remember the couple of times I was stung, someone from customs got on to me to ask how much the items were worth before they could calculate the additional charges.

In my case, it was the value listed on the registered postal thingy. Pretty crap really

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I haven't got stung for vat in years, I think last thing I was caught for was the 1st gen iphone back 7years ago from fedex, gob****es gave me the phone 1st and I never actually paid it tho lol.
    I only received a large parcel from the states last week without VAT with declared value $150usd.

I haven't got stung for vat in years, I think last thing I was caught for was the 1st gen iphone back 7years ago from fedex, gob****es gave me the phone 1st and I never actually paid it tho lol.
    I only received a large parcel from the states last week without VAT with declared value $150usd.

They won't get everything, but I've definitely noticed an increase in it

Must say I've rarely had to pay the duty on imports, seems to depend on the courier in my experience - anything Fedex or UPS always gets caught.

In this case (NES) duty is prepaid so not much you can do about it and didn't see any sellers not using this - I guess i could have gone the PM route and arranged something but console was cheap enough anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I ordered a few DVDs from the States last year. They shipped in two or three different packages, don't think the value of any of the parcels was greater than maybe $40 or so.

Still got hit by a customs charge of around €20 on one of them :( They were very low valued packages too, have been reluctant to order anything bigger - or indeed smaller! - since.

I got absolutely screwed when I brought in my Namco Museum boxset.
    And the delay was weeks too.
    I had to ring them and tell them what it was, they had no idea.

just as a general wondering, are people getting stung much for stuff from Japan, or is it just from USA & China/HK?

Master of the Universe

From what I know there's 'duty' and there's 'VAT'.

'Duty' has a threshold of €150 so you won't get that charged on small items.

'VAT' has a threshold of just €22 (including shipping and insurance), so you'll get that on almost everything.

Actually, here's a summary of it.

http://www.dutycalculator.com/country-guides/Import-duty-taxes-when-importing-into-ireland

VAT is maximum 23% if you don't have something which falls into a lesser VAT category.

Interesting that books are exempt from VAT completely.

Master of the Universe

just as a general wondering, are people getting stung much for stuff from Japan, or is it just from USA & China/HK?

Anything I've been stung with was from USA and China only.

Japan, nothing. And they'd be the ones I'm imported most from too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

I got caught for Vat by UPS on the last lot of cab parts I got from Taito in Japan.

Usefully though, they sent me a text message on the morning of delivery with a number to phone and pay up. Better than the driver arrriving to the door and you not having cash to hand.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement