Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have cinemas gone to the dogs?

• 08-11-2018 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭

With large screen TVs and home cinema systems are cinemas on the way to becoming extinct?

Lines for food are ridiculous in many of the suburban multiplexes and many times you have to queue behind large groups getting snacks and drinks just to get a ticket.
    Subdivisions mean screening rooms are getting smaller and smaller.
    This is the Savoy for example.

rrqngj.png

Screens often have creases or rips and the projection is set super dark in many cinemas to prolong the life of the lamp in the projector.
    Soundsystems in a few cinemas have blown speakers that just emit a buzz or a hiss.

The rooms can be filthy with sticky floors and ripped or damaged seats.

General audiences have become very rude over the last ten years.
    Seats are kicked there are feet on the backs of seats.
    More and more people mess with their phones updating their Facebook or whatever and the light from these things is super distracting.

People talk like they are sitting in their living room and bring in all kinds of noisy
    snacks and drinks that they did not buy in the cinema.

I have seen nearly 40 minutes of ads and trailers in one cinema no joking.
    Screen Masking seems to be a thing of the past and there are ugly black bars on the top and bottom or either side of the screen.

Many screening rooms are so small now the emergency exit illuminated signs leave a green light blob over half the screen.

I have only visited a cinema once this year and as you can see from my username films are my passion but I think the best place for them now is in the home.

How many other people have decided that the cinema experience these days sucks and watching at home is now the better option?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Who's yer wan?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭Allinall

Queues mean they’re still popular.

When you can stroll up and get your popcorn and 7Up with no wait, then they are in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Jessie Belle

Cinemas are rough at the moment if you ask me. Definately gone to the dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I have given up on frequent cinema going. For many of the reasons you listed. I used to religiously stick to going mid-week, off peak, a week or two after release to make sure I didn't have to endure the phone screens, munching, bantering teenagers etc etc. But as Im getting older and the home setup improves, the appeal of even that is getting less and less.

I went to see First Man recently in London and had to endure a full 30 minutes of ads and trailers before the film started. It began half an hour after the listed time! And all that for nearly £15!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

My local cinema is an omniplex and it's fantastic. It's always packed too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

A thread like this from a username like that.

Et tu, Brute?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Allinall wrote: »
    Queues mean they’re still popular.

When you can stroll up and get your popcorn and 7Up with no wait, then they are in trouble.

Got me there but these are queues of riff-raff:D.

pure ****.
    worst thing is the green exit lights shining up onto the screen ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Who's yer wan?

It appears to be an oriental lady eating popcorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Who's yer wan?

Cliché 1st post.
    I'd give you a 3/10 for effort

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    Cliché 1st post.

800 posts in 11 years. I'd give you 1 out of 10 for effort.

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    Cliché 1st post.

Jesus what a mean and nitpicky post.:mad:

I'd have given a 4/10 for effort.:D

dulux99 wrote: »
    My local cinema is an omniplex and it's fantastic. It's always packed too.

Which one is that might give it a try?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭mammajamma

Cinema is never going to be beaten in terms of experience, that collective participation in a film where everyone is along for the ride. Golden.

It can be copied with home entertainment, but its just nowhere as good. Some pros, but not the same thing.

Now that's assuming you get a decent audience. If theres one thing I will just not abide by anymore, its some fooking freak lighting up his phone constantly. Even if the ignorant shyte is directly to my left or right its still a massive distraction.

Ive gotten to the point now where I wont tolerate it, if you think youre going to detract from the entertainment I just paid for, not a chance. There has been a couple times this year where ive said aloud "do you mind turning off the phone?", and not in a polite way.

Its a triggering thing for me now, and it'll probably end in violence one time or another. Don't be the one that sets me off, you'll regret it :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Jessie Belle

Agricola wrote: »
    800 posts in 11 years. I'd give you 1 out of 10 for effort.

Well said.....its a chat forum and people start threads to generate interest and discussion. If you aren't interested don't post. If you are make a valid/jokey/borderline shyte post.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Would only ever go probably once every 3-4 years. I can't stand bad cinema etiquette. Completely ruins the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I like the small screens for certain films when it suits.

New blockbuster stuff I like to see on main screens so I'll make a choice to do that.

As for queuing, do any cinemas not have the option to buy your own tickets at the self service kiosks that you also use to collect tickets bought online?

I mostly go to Dundrum (for the mezz usually) , or lifted valley and Stella. Havnt had any screen issues.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The single worst thing that's happened in cinemas in the past few years is merging the ticket and food/drink queues. Everything just takes ages now (yeah, I know I could buy my tickets online and skip the queue, but I can't buy popcorn online yet :pac:).

I like the small screens for certain films when it suits.

New blockbuster stuff I like to see on main screens so I'll make a choice to do that.

As for queuing, do any cinemas not have the option to buy your own tickets at the self service kiosks that you also use to collect tickets bought online?

I was in a cinema and all of these kiosks were out of order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Which one is that might give it a try?

The one in Cork but I think there's a couple in Dublin. they've pumped serious money into the one down here. Similar to yourself I probably go to the cinema on average 3 times a month and the facility itself is fantastic but unfortunately you can't legislate for annoying pricks in there sometimes, but such is life.

I also buy my tickets online before going in, it's allocated seating so you pick the actual seats you want which is great. If you don't bother with the cinema popcorn, which I don't usually, you just stroll straight in with the ticket on an email on your phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Tallaght has a good selection of movies and it's a quality cinema... The issue for me is it has become a social club for **** with no interest in the movies

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

mammajamma wrote: »
    Cinema is never going to be beaten in terms of experience, that collective participation in a film where everyone is along for the ride. Golden.

This is one of the downsides for me. Having to worry about having gumps around me. I'd rather an empty cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I watched Bohemian Rhapsody in the Stella there in recent weeks.

Really enjoyed the experience, would recommend it to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Love going to the cimema but rarely go there days due to big TV and convenience I suppose.

I also unfortunately live in an area now that is largly working class and I dont like sitting beside some of them because of the way the are on the fone and talking. And eating that smelly popcorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭mammajamma

Effects wrote: »
    This is one of the downsides for me. Having to worry about having gumps around me. I'd rather an empty cinema.

I probably go to the cinema 6 times a year, maybe more depending. But I have seriously thought about building a phone jammer. It can be done for very cheap.

Bring it along in my pocket, sit down, turn it on. I wish every cinema had this built-in to be honest. Instead of asking fools to do the right thing, just don't give them the option.

You think you might get an emergency call? Don't go to the cinema.

Youre expecting an email about a job? Don't go to the cinema.

Youre trying to arrange meeting friends afterwards? Do it beforehand or don't go to the cinema.

Youre not really interested in the particular film? Don't go to the cinema.

Youre there to talk with friends? Don't go to the cinema.

Youre phone is more interesting than the cinema? Don't go to the cinema.

Noveight wrote: »

The only gripe I have about the Stella is the centre speech track is set way too low and underpowered.
    Being in the Stella twice and noticed this each time.

If they could fix this the Stella would be pure cinema heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Not necessarily! Some nights are quieter than others but If some cinemas do a special deal or discount on a specific day or deal meal they will do quiet well but I think the tax rate of 13.5% has be issued for the cinema unfortunately. Rates vary when time of day film is on and what rates is for adults/kids/students for Omniplex cinemas anyway but the cost of going to cinema has gone up over the years alright but there are a few that do a discount day. I only go unless there is a particular film I want to see so only go a few times a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Nah, I love the event of going to the cinema with friends. Something so nice about going out to see a new film youre really excited to see, buying a load of snacks you usually dont eat, just doesnt compare to sitting at home in the boring old sitting room

Theres plenty of nice cinemas, IFI is lovely, dundrum is nice too,I dont really care though what the cinema is like, I go for the movie

And in reference to this question
    are cinemas on the way to becoming extinct?
    I think this answers it..
    Lines for food are ridiculous in many of the suburban multiplexes and many times you have to queue behind large groups getting snacks and drinks just to get a ticket.
    So many times I go to the cinema all seats are booked out, Stella cinema some movies are booked out weeks in advance, Two new cinemas opening in charlemont and hawkins street within next couple years in dublin, itll be a long time before theyre extinct if they havnt gone extinct by now

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Noveight wrote: »

How much is the Stella, went to Savoy 2 weeks ago and paid 12 euro, but they have made a dogs dinner of whole place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

starlit wrote: »
    Not necessarily! Some nights are quieter than others but If some cinemas do a special deal or discount on a specific day or deal meal they will do quiet well but I think the tax rate of 13.5% has be issued for the cinema unfortunately. Rates vary when time of day film is on and what rates is for adults/kids/students for Omniplex cinemas anyway but the cost of going to cinema has gone up over the years alright but there are a few that do a discount day.

I make a point of never going on a Wednesday as that's the cheap ticket night in my local cinema and the couple of times I went that night it was jammed. Monday and Tuesday nights are usually the quietest, and as a Three customer I can get two tickets for a tenner, which is even cheaper than a single regular priced ticket.

Advertisement