Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Colaiste Laichtin Experiences

• 20-08-2018 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hiya. I am attending Course A next year in Colaiste Laichtin (2019) I am going into 2nd year. Can someone who went there please let me know is it good and what I will need to pack and what I will wear and will I have a relationship and what the ceilis and discos are like. Do people sneak out at night?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Sneaking out is an urban myth. :P I think a few eejits tried it when I was there for the first time (back in 2003) and they were caught straight away. Never heard of anyone trying it again since.

I did 4 courses as a student and 2 summers as an Ardchinnire so I used to know the programme inside out. It's probably changed a bit since I was last there though. It used to be classes in the morning, activities and sports after lunch, céilí in the evening after dinner. Always had top class teachers when I was there.

Bring whatever clothes you'd usually wear, and some sports and swimming stuff, and a comfortable jacket. Football boots and hurleys are useful, as are musical instruments. I'm pretty sure mobile phones are banned.

Relationships aren't encouraged, but sometimes two people just click. You'll spend most of the time making friends with the people in your house, class and activity groups. It used to be a maximum of 1 or 2 discos per course. The céilí is a mixture of songs, dances, talent shows, etc.

Inis Oírr is one of the greatest spots in the country anyway. Gorgeous beach. Great big sports field. Basketball court next to the coláiste. Decent sized hall for the céilí and other activities. Fascinating local history and views. Very good local shop if you bring pocket money. Lots to be positive about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JKeane2004

I went there in 2018 and 2019 (course A in 2019 so I probably saw you hahah) loads snuck out on last day and a few girls got caught but nothing really happened as it was the last day etc. If your reading this years later (probably most people) then colaiste Laichtin is unreal. It’s mainly people from Clare, limerick and Galway there and a few from dublin. They’re fairly lax on speaking English but if ur caught more then 4 or 5 times they could send u home. As for the actual Irish learning it’s decent, im in pass Irish now but defo learned a lot when I was there but tbf who goes to learn really

Advertisement