Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Panda Power

Options
  • 10-05-2018 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭

Had a door to door salesman put the hard sell on and seemed to be a great deal.

Rang Electric Ireland and cant/wont match the deal, no charge for leaving them

Panada give 50 credit but then take 50 if/when you leave next year, then they are offering 15% discount compared to electric Ireland

The only alarm bell that electric Ireland raised was how much panda units cost, which makes sense, no point paying more per unit even with the big discount.

Am I missing anything else? 14 days cooling off so interested to get it sorted soon

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Yep got an e-mail from green star who must provide the bins for panda power in various locations

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Have you checked bonkers.ie ?
    This site will tell you who is the cheaper option for you
    If you shop in SuperValu the rewards scheme gives money off electric Ireland and this could work out to be more than the €50 here and there panda are offering

Just checked bonkers thanks, Bord Gáis Energy €142, panda €71

SO I just cancel panda tomorrow and ring Bord Gáis Energy to change over?

Sadly we dont shop in Supervalu

OmegaGene wrote:
    Yeah ring and cancel give them any old guff like your husband or wife doesn’t want to change Keep changing every year for the best savings

Think I will, usually do it with car insurance, sky is sky and can't beat Virgin for speeds, dunno why never changed electricity

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I signed up to Panda yesterday for gas and electricity.

We are already with them for bin collection.

There is a two week cooling off period before the switch-over begins.

We are currently paying 16.89c per unit with SSE Airtricity and 5.0645 for gas.

When I try bonkers.ie for a dual fuel supplier, I get Bord Gais as the best with 15.48c and 4.83 cent for a 1 year contract.

Panda are way down the list in Bonkers.ie.

But, they are offering me 14.38c and 4.52c for a one year contract in addition to a €50 voucher which can be used against bin collection or gas and electricity.

Seems like a no-brainer for a one year contract.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,363 ✭✭✭✭zell12

You're missing
    the €200 cashback from ElectricIreland for dual fuel
    or
    the €135 for electricity with SSE & €75 for gas with EI

Insert the yearly amount of kwh you normally use into switcher.ie or bonkers.ie
    and see if the cashback is worth more than the cheaper rates over the year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

Just beware that price comparison site will not always show the best offers - they show the best offers that also give them the best commission and put the offers with the best commission for themselves at the top.

I'm with Panda Power, current fixed rate is 14.74, standing chg 46.5c per day, pso levy 3.48 (reduced rate from Oct)

Been with them for 3 years and what I particularly like is they always call me before the contract is up and ask if I want to fix for another year unlike SSE and Energia who hope you forget. I think Bord Gais also give a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Mrs. Doyle

jeffk wrote: »
    Had a door to door salesman put the hard sell on and seemed to be a great deal.

Rang Electric Ireland and cant/wont match the deal, no charge for leaving them

Panada give 50 credit but then take 50 if/when you leave next year, then they are offering 15% discount compared to electric Ireland

The only alarm bell that electric Ireland raised was how much panda units cost, which makes sense, no point paying more per unit even with the big discount.

Am I missing anything else? 14 days cooling off so interested to get it sorted soon

Thanks

How did you get on with Panda Power back in 2018? They are giving a great deal now with 28% off electricity and €100 cashback.

Anyone else able to comment on their customer service? Reading a lot of bad reviews regarding direct debits being deducted too often and call centre not great?

Thanks.

Mrs. Doyle wrote: »
    How did you get on with Panda Power back in 2018? They are giving a great deal now with 28% off electricity and €100 cashback.

Anyone else able to comment on their customer service? Reading a lot of bad reviews regarding direct debits being deducted too often and call centre not great?

Thanks.

I didn't go with them as the billing system was estimate or something like take say 200 and next month might be less so give you back the difference etc

Im guessing Electric Ireland might not be the cheapest, but we know more or less what the bill will be every two months

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Would have to disagree. I live in an apartment in Dublin, just me and my girlfriend. Electric Ireland from last May have not had a single bill even near the same. We are not big users and we have a night meter. I'm definitely changing at the end of the month. They gave us an estimate of €700 and I've already paid them €1300 this year to date. Not acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Would have to disagree. I live in an apartment in Dublin, just me and my girlfriend. Electric Ireland from last May have not had a single bill even near the same. We are not big users and we have a night meter. I'm definitely changing at the end of the month. They gave us an estimate of €700 and I've already paid them €1300 this year to date. Not acceptable.

Storage heaters?
    Estimated bills?

• Advertisement

Yeah they're the electric storage heaters...

I've been fairly prudent in taking my own readings and uploading them which gives some credit back. We had the storage heaters on a timer to only come on for a few hours in the morning and again in the evening. They were on from october to march.

Bill currently sits at €1300 approx. Mental or is this normal??

We both work during the day and don't play games/stream in the evenings. Just watch sky tv and use our phones.

Not sure who to go with now, Glow power seem to be cheapest.

I know a nieghbour who upgraded to ceramic heaters and it's actually worked out dearer.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Yeah they're the electric storage heaters...

I've been fairly prudent in taking my own readings and uploading them which gives some credit back. We had the storage heaters on a timer to only come on for a few hours in the morning and again in the evening. They were on from october to march.

We both work during the day and don't play games/stream in the evenings. Just watch sky tv and use our phones.

Not sure who to go with now, Glow power seem to be cheapest.

I know a nieghbour who upgraded to ceramic heaters and it's actually worked out dearer.

It will really make little difference who you go with until you start using the storage heaters efficiently. Have a read of this:
    https://www.electricheatingsolutions.ie/storage-heater-operation

Would consider upgrading the electric storage heaters.. I own the apartment but still in 20s so wouldn't have any big fortune to spend!!

Anyone done this or recommend what's the best efficient heaters to go with?

The apartments were built in 2006 so the heaters would be a fair age now. If it adds value onto the resale of apartment etc I'd invest.

Storage heaters are awful things.
    I turned mine all off and used oil-filled radiators in a timer instead

Not a bad idea! The electric is a very dry air as well.

Is that literally just the oil ones you buy and plug in with a timer on them?

How much does that cost you per year? Did it bring down your electric a good bit,...

thanks!

How much does that cost you per year? Did it bring down your electric a good bit,...

thanks!

Was a few years ago so can't remember savings.
    But it meant the heat only came on when I wanted it to.
    Attached to a timer plug.

I found by evening storage heaters were cooling down. That's when I wanted the heat on coming in from work

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

thanks!

Calculate savings by comparing kw ratings of each heater. What are the kw ratings for the storage heaters and how many do you have on at a time?
    Compare this with the kw ratings of electric heaters and how many you would need.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Sounds insane to me for a 2 bed apartment built in 2006 but how are you using the storage heaters? Are you just fllcking on the boost switch whenever it feels cold? If so that will absolutely eat electricity, they are designed to fill up on heat on cheap night rate electricity, store it and then deliver that heat during the day or evening. You might need to play around with the input/output dials on them to get them working efficiently.

That said storage heaters are awful and were just a cheap solution for builders wanting to avoid having a centralised heating system for apartment blocks like they do on the continent.

re:Glow Power, I switched to them a few weeks back and they were the cheapest for my usage patterns. Im not a heavy user and their standing charge was 128 for the year whereas all others were 220-280. So while their unit prices are a couple of cents higher than others I'll still save because I dont use loads of units. You need to go back over your last 12 months bills, figure out how many kw hours per year you used and then calculate from there with the various standing charges and unit prices.
    Would consider upgrading the electric storage heaters.. I own the apartment but still in 20s so wouldn't have any big fortune to spend!!

Anyone done this or recommend what's the best efficient heaters to go with?

I got rid of three 25+ year old storage heaters last year and replaced them with an air to air heat pump which Im very happy with. The units are Mitsubishi and are used widely in European apartments. Cost was just under 1,900 including the installation so not cheap cheap but Im glad I did it just to get away from those godforsaken storage heaters.

Its got all the bells and whistles like Wifi operation via an app, its a dehumidifier and an air conditioner too. Didnt think Id use the air con but it has been handy some days so far this summer when the house was very hot. Big advantage of them is that there are very energy efficient- for every kw of power you use it produces between 3 and 4 kws of heat. The only potential sticking point with them for apartments is that the actual heat pump goes outdoors on your balcony (which you dont own, the mgmt co. does). Its not that big of a unit but it would be seen on a balcony that wasnt high up or well screened.

Another option I came across is infra red panel heaters. But they're fairly new to the market and there wasnt enough info around as to how good they are. I know some companies selling them will allow you to trial them in your place for 2 weeks at no cost.

Advertisement