Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

commute route

• 04-12-2018 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

does anyone head out the chapelizod bypass towards lucan in the evening. if so, what is it like cycling wise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    does anyone head out the chapelizod bypass towards lucan in the evening. if so, what is it like cycling wise?

Yeah, I'm usually on it at about 5:30/5:45pm
    Traffic is busy with a few buses and taxis passing closely.
    I suppose the most dodgy section is crossing over the M50 but its generally grand.
    It's sure beats sitting in the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Gerry

It's ok, I don't get many close passes on it ( compared to the n4 further west ) but generally I'm on it about 6-630. Have to watch though for taxis and buses cutting in front of you when they come up to the back of the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Is it not nicer going through chapelizod and below (or through) the park?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Is it not nicer going through chapelizod and below (or through) the park?

This is a lot more pleasant.
    Although I go through the park to avoid Knockmarron hill.
    It's a sharp little stinger that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

just need a road without back to back traffic lights with traffic going one way and a bus lane for a bit of room. heading south after heading west so Park is slightly unnecessary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭mcdonrob

I head west out Chapelizod bypass towards and beyond Lucan most evenings. I've never had an issue with the bypass section itself or traffic on it.
    Places to watch:
    Just before the bypass - traffic taking a left where Con Colbert road veers towards Ballyfermot. Put your right arm out (and keep it out) so traffic knows you are taking the Chapelizod bypass not the bike lane to Ballyfermot.
    The bypass itself is fine, better now than it was as the bus/bike lane has been widened. Also it can be a great section to open up on as there's no traffic lights etc... If traffic is backed up and there's buses behind I tend to move out of the bus/bike lane to allow them pass. Why should 1 person slow up 100's in buses.

As mentioned above the M50 crossing can be dodgy.
    However, the worst parts I find are on those sections where lane dividers are in place. Cars turning into and exiting from:
    • BallyOwen Lane onto the N4
    • the petrol station beside old FoxHunter
    • Dodsborough Road before Spa hotel

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Depending on your speed you may be more comfortable cycling over the M50 via Palmerstown and the pedestrian bridge. Cross the N4 at the Liffey Valley pedestrian bridge on your way out of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Gerry

Agreed mcdonrob.
    My tactic for dealing with those sections is to take the lane and the right hand side of it at that.

In the summer I tend to alternate and go chapelizod / strawberry beds some days. It is a bit longer, in the current conditions I tend to want to get home asap.
    I will try also going via park instead of knockmaroon and see what the time difference is

Advertisement