Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Laptop - trying to select best deal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Personally I prefer Asus as a manufacturer. Providing your niece is not intending to use it to play the latest games any of them would be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭Worztron

FSL wrote: »
    Personally I prefer Asus as a manufacturer. Providing your niece is not intending to use it to play the latest games any of them would be fine.

Hi FSL. They have plenty of RAM. Are the CPU's not good enough for gaming? What would be a decent CPU for gaming?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

You want to game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

What games?

What else will she use it for?

• Advertisement

Jaafa wrote: »
    You want to game?

Yes.

What are the best processors for gaming?

Which is better?
    Intel Pentium Dual-Core B950 - 2.1 GHz VS Intel Core i5 processor

Hi.

Can someone help me choose one of these for my niece (it is a surprise from her parents and relatives)?

Ordered cheapest -> dearest (prices are correct as of posting):
    €387 http://laptopsdirect.co.uk/AUSU_X54H....asp?switchc=e
    €449 http://www.harveynorman.ie/acer-5733-laptop.html
    €479 http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_5552_AMD_Quad_Core_Laptop_LX.R4402.217/version.asp#maindesc
    €479 http://harveynorman.ie/psk1we-0ce009en.html
    €499 http://www.harveynorman.ie/acer-5750-i5.html

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭The Internet Explorer

In my opinion surprises are great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭quietriot

I would pay a lot more than €50 of a difference in price when buying a laptop if it ensured I didn't have to deal with laptopsdirect.co.uk.

Out of those, I'd go for the Acer i5 5750 from harvey norman. It's the most expensive but it has good spec and you'd have a physical presence to bring it back to if you've any problems.

• Advertisement

Oh and Worztron, when you go into Harvey Norman they'll try and upsell you accessories while you're there. Just say "no thank you, just the laptop today and I'll have a think about anything else I need and come back then" politely and they'll leave you be. They make their commission off the add-ons, hence why you'll hear about them. You'll probably get a few "Oh, are you sure? because...". Don't let yourself wander into second guessing yourself :)

Their after sales service is solid though hence why I'd have no problem putting up with the sales pitch to buy there.

quietriot wrote: »
    I would pay a lot more than €50 of a difference in price when buying a laptop if it ensured I didn't have to deal with laptopsdirect.co.uk.

Out of those, I'd go for the Acer i5 5750 from harvey norman. It's the most expensive but it has good spec and you'd have a physical presence to bring it back to if you've any problems.

Hi quietriot. Have you had dealings with laptopsdirect - regarding warranty or laptop repairs? I also heard from others on boards re their poor customer service.

quietriot wrote: »
    Oh and Worztron, when you go into Harvey Norman they'll try and upsell you accessories while you're there. Just say "no thank you, just the laptop today and I'll have a think about anything else I need and come back then" politely and they'll leave you be. They make their commission off the add-ons, hence why you'll hear about them. You'll probably get a few "Oh, are you sure? because...". Don't let yourself wander into second guessing yourself :)

Their after sales service is solid though hence why I'd have no problem putting up with the sales pitch to buy there.

Cheers for the tips.

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi quietriot. Have you had dealings with laptopsdirect - regarding warranty or laptop repairs? I also heard from others on boards re their poor customer service.
    I've ordered from them before and they made such a colossal f*ck up of it and only refunded me when some very threatening (legal) letters were sent to them, that I certainly wouldn't be one to deal with them again.

I cannot imagine the pain and frustration that would be involved in a: getting something back to them under warranty, b: having them admit that there's an issue, c: having them admit that it's a manufacturing issue , d: dealing with that issue and e: getting it back to me in one piece. Not worth a €50 saving anyway.

This doesn't apply to all online retailers btw, I've had nothing but good experiences with Amazon, Elara and Komplett to name a few.

With Harvey Normans at least you can drive over and they'll have a look at it for you, they'll deal with most software issues even though it's not covered by warranty and if there's a hardware issue they'll have it sent off to the manufacturer for you, rather than having to arrange it yourself.

Curries is good for range and price also but their after sales service is shite, if I buy a laptop there and have an issue, I want to be able to bring it back without being thrown to their "tech" guys who basically charge by the minute to deal with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

I've had several laptops and other equipment from Laptops direct and never had any problems. They shift boxes any warranty is with the manufacturer.

I had one order which included a couple of hard drives. They came in one package and the drives were only in an anti-static bag inside a jiffy bag.

I said I was unhappy with the packaging and without any quibbling they arranged to pick them up and gave me a full refund.

Worzton what kind of games do you play?

First don't but from Harvey Norman or any other bricks and mortar store.
    Go to sites like, komplette, saveonlaptops or computeruniverse.net. Much cheaper.

I would suggest something that has an I5 processor and a GT540m or GT555m graphics card.Also a AMD 6850 or above would do too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Go to sites like, komplette, saveonlaptops or computeruniverse.net. Much cheaper.

I would suggest something that has an I5 processor and a GT540m or GT555m graphics card.Also a AMD 6850 or above would do too.
    I'd second all of that. But there's no need for a 6850 unless you intend on playing everything maxed out and are willing to pay at least €1000 if not more.

Personally, i'd recommend one of these:
    http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_02PC/02_NOTEBOO/21_15/productdetails/80003373/Acer_15_6_5755G_2438G75MN_i5_2430M_8GB_750GB/LX_RPZ02_065/default.aspx
    http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_02PC/02_NOTEBOO/21_15/productdetails/20106850/ASUS_15_6_K53SV_SX838V_i7_2670_8GB_640GB/K53SV_SX838V/default.aspx

The second one is the better laptop. Don't mind the smaller HDD. The ASUS will be better built and has a faster CPU.

I'd second all of that. But there's no need for a 6850 unless you intend on playing everything maxed out and are willing to pay at least €1000 if not more.

Personally, i'd recommend one of these:
    http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_02PC/02_NOTEBOO/21_15/productdetails/80003373/Acer_15_6_5755G_2438G75MN_i5_2430M_8GB_750GB/LX_RPZ02_065/default.aspx
    http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_02PC/02_NOTEBOO/21_15/productdetails/20106850/ASUS_15_6_K53SV_SX838V_i7_2670_8GB_640GB/K53SV_SX838V/default.aspx

The second one is the better laptop. Don't mind the smaller HDD. The ASUS will be better built and has a faster CPU.

A 6850m is about the same as a GT555m.

EDIT: Also for the same price of the Asus (which is a good deal too), you could get this with a much better GPU and much better screen at the cost of a lesser CPU which you probably wouldn't need anyway. http://www.computeruniverse.net/info.asp?id=90428426&used=all&idused=38371

Only thing is keyboard may have german layout, but thats easy to get used to.

For something a bit more in the budget range put still very capable theres this

http://www.computeruniverse.net/products/e90431252/packard-bell-easynote-ts13hr-075ge.asp?sr=Packard+Bell+EasyNote+TS13HR

Any exp with that site Jaafa?

• Advertisement

Any exp with that site Jaafa?

Not personally but theirs a large number of reviews on their laptops, and delivery can be done by UPS so I can't see any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 fitz265

dell windows 7 beast of a machine

The laptop is for my niece - she plays games such as The Sims 3 (2009) etc.

Ah well in that case you dont even need a dedicated GPU or an i5.

But that Packard bell I posted would do perfectly.

Or for even less money this would probably do too. http://www.computeruniverse.net/products/e90432266/lenovo-ideapad-b570-m58fqge-freedos.asp

Now if only you'd answered that 18 posts ago think of all the time that could have been saved.

Now if only you'd answered that 18 posts ago think of all the time that could have been saved.

Well that is just one game I know she plays. I'm sure she will play more modern games in time. Although she ain't (not surprisingly) into FPS or racing games.

Not personally but theirs a large number of reviews on their laptops, and delivery can be done by UPS so I can't see any problems.
    Had a look there, their selection filter thing doesn't work right at all which is a pain but anyway....

Tried to match up two Asus Brand Models with an i5, Nividia 540M, 8GB RAM, same HDD size, same battery, same number off USBs etc. Near as I could get was...

Computeruniverse ASUS €672
    Komplett ASUS €699

But Kompletts HDD is 140GB bigger and i5 variant is bit better. Komplett wins.

But (again!:o) Spotted these Y type:confused:Lenovos that have the Nividia 555M (best card availabe without mega price bump) with an i5 for €750 delivered. So the Lenovo selection is worth a look and Jester gave site the thumbs up over on B&Upgrading so should be sound.

Usually don't see the 555 on anything that isin't packing an i7, aswell as an €850+ish price tag. Though for the extra €100 you are getting an i7, faster bigger HDD, 9 Cell battery and bigger screen.

On Dell now with no Voucher for €850
    i7-2670QM processor (2.20 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.10 GHz)
    44 cm(17.3") HD+ WLED True-Life (1600x900) with 2.0 Mega Pixel Integrated Camera
    3GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M Graphics Card
    6144MB (1x2GB, 1x4GB) 1333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel SDRAM
    750GB (7,200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive
    9-cell 90Whr Lithium Ion battery
    All depends on buyers max budget....

@ Avalanche
    Their's an MSI on their with an I5 and GT555m and 1920x1080 screen for 725, its a return but still in box and everything, new its like 775. The same one on Komplett is 1050 euro but comes with an i7.

However IMO with the Gt555m the i7 is not necessary, at best you'll get maybe 5FPS better compared to an i5 and the battery life will be worse.

Now if it was a GTX460 or 560m then it would be useful.

Can you link that dell? Doesn't look right....

Dell site must use cookies at the checkout stage or something, tried linking before and it wouldn't work for anyone....but worked fine for me.

http://www.dell.ie/-->follow Employees & Students link-->Students-->Laptop Deals and then run through to cart where they'll take away €50 for something or other. €850.

• Advertisement

Dell site must use cookies at the checkout stage or something, tried linking before and it wouldn't work for anyone....but worked fine for me.

http://www.dell.ie/-->follow Employees & Students link-->Students-->Laptop Deals and then run through to cart where they'll take away €50 for something or other. €850.

Ok found it, yeah decent deal if your a student.

Advertisement