Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Now Ye're Talking - to a Prison Officer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    If American TV has thought me anything, a crook can make a shank out of anything in the clink. Is that something that is common in the Irish prison system?

Yes. Going back to Love/Hate and the prison scenes, we saw Fran melting a razor blade into a toothbrush. That's exactly what they so. Sometimes they'll use two blades with a match stick separating them do that the weapon will leave a scar that is harder to stitch up, thus leaving permanent scarring. Snooker ball in a sock is another one. That's why all razor blades and snooker balls need to b accounted for at all times in so far as is possible. Other weapons include sharpened plastic from dinner trays, table legs. Basically anything.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Omackeral wrote: »
    Yes. Going back to Love/Hate and the prison scenes, we saw Fran melting a razor blade into a toothbrush. That's exactly what they so. Sometimes they'll use two blades with a match stick separating them do that the weapon will leave a scar that is harder to stitch up, thus leaving permanent scarring. Snooker ball in a sock is another one. That's why all razor blades and snooker balls need to b accounted for at all times in so far as is possible. Other weapons include sharpened plastic from dinner trays, table legs. Basically anything.

Thanks for that.

Another thing that is popularised by American prison TV shows is the whole mentality of with there being no women around, some seek love/intamacy in their fellow inmates. I would suspect that this would be hidden from officers. Is there any truth to this in Irish prisons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Have you ever come across a former inmate on the outside? Are you trained for those sort of events? Can't imagine you'd sit and have a pint and talk about old times with them

How do ye supposedly miss so much stuff smuggled in. Do ye turn a blind eye just to keep the peace

There's a multitude of ways that contraband gets in. Secreted internally is a massive one. If a lad knows he's going to jail, he'll stuff himself with pills/drugs/even phones and we may not detect it. Only a doctor can physically examine any orifice. Another method would be throwing over a perimeter wall from outside but now all prisons have nets over the yard. However they get around this by using clever methods such as freezing tablets in ice cubes and firing them up onto the net, when the ice melts, the pills drop trough. Visits is another way contraband makes it in. Not all visits are screened so contact is possible. Anybody found smuggling or attempting to smuggle contraband into a prison will be prosecuted. Officers have even been convicted of smuggling themselves and have faced sentences as a result, and obviously losing their jobs.

Will answer more questions in a while, keep them coming.

are you going to answer any of these questions ?

Get this. Im in work. In a prison. Can't have my phone on me til break time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You could smuggle it in!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

Who is the most famous or infamous prisoner you dealt with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Do you still have that incredible health insurance scheme in the prison service? My auld fella was a prison officer - managed to get my teeth fixed through it!

Also, do you think the existing Dublin prisons are fit for purpose? Can they be upgraded, or is a brand new facility needed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Can you not borrow an inmates?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Do you ever peek behind posters on walls, just in case….

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Is there ever sexual tension between either the inmates and/or inmates and prison officers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Did you have to get clearance or an okay from your boss or managers etc to do this AMA? How much are you allowed to talk about your work generally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I have a friend in the prison service in london and he told me a horror story about an attack on a man involving heated liquidated sugar and other chemicals to makeshift some acid to throw in a guys face, has anything like that happened in ireland? What was the worst attack you encountered?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Mar Mar Marmalade

Do inmates generally get picked on depending on if they're considered an easy target to others or is it a bit of to each their own compared to that of the so heard viciousness of American prisons.

How do you cope with being in such a negative environment day in day out, do you find it takes a toll on your mental health and our general outlook?

Great question. Prison Officers statistically die younger than a lot of their counterparts across the public sector. I've lost a disproportionate amount of colleagues since I've started. I wouldn't say my mental health has been affected per se but I've often been very tired mentally as well as physically. The odd nightmare here and there too.

From my POV:

- As with any other position, leave your job at the office when you clock out.
    -See the positives. You've a stable job, pension. Others don't.
    -Keep an active social scene outside of work. The last thing you want to do is talk about prison life with colleagues after you just spent a 12 hour shift in there.
    - Don't take any abuse from prisoners to heart. They're probably dealing with pressures themselves.
    - There are Staff Support Officers in every prison who are trained to help with any problems or anxiety you have, don't be afraid to engage them.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Do Travellers mix or do they keep to themselves?

A bit of both actually. I've never seen them victimised on the basis they're Travellers. Some Travellers fare as well as their settled counterparts and others not as well. Then again, some of them get on brilliantly. One such fella is currently teaching other prisoners to read and write in the evenings.

Foreigners tend to gravitate to each other in my experiences, even lads who don't speak the same mother tongue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

What is your view on the entire justice system at the moment? Working? Not working?

What do you think about punishment vs rehabilitation.

How many re offenders do you see? Percentage wise.

If you could make any drastic changes what would they be?

seamus wrote: »
    Do you ever get yourself interested in what people have been jailed for - do you ever find yourself thinking that one prisoner may be "less guilty" than another and giving them more favourable treatment, or do you do your best to keep all that at arms length?

Another good question. I can find out at the click of a button what a fella is in for. I don't really make a distinction though to be honest. I treat them all the same until they give me a reason not too. If a chap is pleasant and courteous on a daily basis to me, then it's not really an issue to me what he's done. Before anyone asks about rapists or pedophiles, I don't deal with them. Sorry if that's a bit vague.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Do you worry about people getting released who might live in the same town as you/your family?

Nope. Grew up with loads of them (from Dublin myself) so it's not a massive deal. I've bumped into a good few after their release and it's generally a nod of the head and a "how's it going". Was weirder the other way when I first started and saw people I knew from home. Was weird for them too though seeing me!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

Do you know Kev? Small fat and bald.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Are there really a lot of prisoners inside for very minor offences i.e. not paying t.v. licence fine etc.
    I always believed that prison should only be for people who have committed murder, paedophilia, rape etc i.e. violent crime The rest should be made do community work. How do you feel? I also feel that when someone is put inside his wife and children are also sentenced by having to go there to visit, manage without his income and are tarnished by what he has done.

Questions from RoyalMarine

What is required for someone to become a prison officer?

You've to be selected from an open competition including interviews, aptitude tests and fitness exams and be over the age of 18 with a clearance from an Garda Siochana. You train for 9 weeks in the Training Center in PortLaoise before moving into a jail, generally in Dublin. You are on probation for 2 years.

Do you need to have a security background?

Not necessarily but anything relevant helps. For example, there are lots of ex military in the job.

Do you need a third level qualification? You will acquire one upon becoming a full officer. You will complete a Higher Certificate in Custodial Care through Sligo IT. It's done through distance learning so visiting Sligo IT isn't needed. It's done online and with sporadic visits to the Training Center.

What is the salary like?
    Nowadays, it's modest compared to years ago. Cuts have affected the job.

What are the career prospects like?
    Promotions etc are there on occasion so an electrician by trade would be perhaps best suited for a trades officer promotion. Chiefs and the like are done as open competions for existing officers to come through the ranks.

Dfmnoc wrote: »
    What time is lunch break

Generally 1-2. Prisoners get their dinner between 12 and 12:30 and are locked up for 1pm until 2pm. During this time, a skeleton staff (who have had an early dinner) man the prison to keep checks over the hour while the staff get their break. Other things to note is that inmates collect their food from a servery and return to their cells with it to eat rather than dining in a food hall like in movies.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    How does it feel to constantly read the bullsh*t opinions about what happens in prison from AH posters who clearly have no idea?

Do you think cliques/bullying are still prominent amongst prison staff?

Do you think working full time in a prison instills an us vs them attitude in prison officers?

I don't think anything of it really. I never knew a thing about prisons and how they worked until I myself came to work in one. If people want to throw out I'll informed ideas, let them. Hopefully this thread can clear a few misconceptions up.

Unfortunately yes. I'm talking staff on staff bullying. It happens. You'd have the fitness boys, the drinkers, the golfers, the intellectuals, the country boys, the Dubs. Sometimes these groupings stick together and fellas and girls feel left out. I'd say it's probably similar in other places of work too. We have a Dignity at Work programme rolled out which tackles these issues.

Us vs Them as in Officers vs Prisoners? Well naturally I'd say yes. We're the "good guys" and they're the "bad guys" but there's always shades of grey. For example, there's some prisoners I would get on with better than some wardens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Are you more Barraclough or McKay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

What size are the cells?
    How many in each?
    Do prisoners prefer a single cell or to share?

Are you allowed to spend time alone with a prisoner? for example go into his cell to check on him etc?
    What happens when a prisoner is sick? Is there a sick wing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

I've often read about Mountjoy not having proper toilet facilities for inmates. Not asking are you working there but what would be your take on that.

If you think its archaic etc has there been any impetus amongst the officers unions to solve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Do sexual assaults actually happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

How do you address a prisoner?

Is it come with me 24601 or come with me prisoner Murphy? Maybe something else?

• Advertisement

Questions by Standard Toaster

I bet you've seen some crazy things. :eek:

How old are you and what made your become a Prison Officer? And for how long?

I'm in my late 20's. Honestly, I don't think anyone grew up wanting to be a prison guard, there'd wanna be something wrong with you if you thought of that as a child! I'm in the job since 2008.

What the oddest thing you've seen being hidden in an prisoner's "prison purse" (arse)?

Officers aren't authorised to search any bodily orifice so I haven't seen anything really. We've retrieved things that they've attempted to 'hoop'. Mostly drugs in condoms etc but phones too and I've heard of chargers too. Mental.

Is it hard to treat the prisoner with respect considering some of the crimes they have committed?

Respect is a two way street. Generally if you respect a prisoner, they'll respect you. Their crime doesn't come into it for me.

Where is Mr Jingles?

Why, he's in Mouse City!

What prisoner (if any) has made a lasting impression on you, good or bad?

One of them works for a security firm now and ironically policed me at soccer matches I attend. He's done well for himself and works a good honest job. I like seeing that.

How common is prison murder? Have you witnessed or been on the scene of a prison murder?

There's been 3 I'm aware of in the last decade. I was in the vicinity of one although the prisoner died in hospital rather than in jail. It was an assault to the head with batteries in a sock. If you google Mountjoy Prison 2006 you'll get a more detailed account of one particularly harrowing event.

What time is bed time for the prisoners? When do they usually wake?
    Lock up is at 7:30pm. In my prison there's no lights out, so they can watch TV or read til whenever they want. Morning unlock is 8am.

Do you celebrate Christmas in prison? Or any holidays for that matter? Religious ones too.[/QUOTE]

Fun fact #2 : Christmas morning is the only day of the year when prisoners get a fry for breakfast! We have a Christmas tree yep! Mass is offered on all holidays and every Sunday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement